Kilmarnock Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

David

A decent point away from home but by feck did we look ineffective up front. Murphy was totally alone and tried his best. Where the feck was Higdon? If he'd've been playing we would've won. Thought our football was pleasing on the eye at times but fizzled out once McHugh and the ever frustrating :dash2:Humphries got the ball. Hately's due for a wee spell on the bench too get young Saunders in and we need a striker and another central defender ASAP. Anyway i recall being at Rugby Park not so long ago a we lost an 88th minute goal so we didn't today although big Hutchie did his best to provide their forwards with plenty service. :dash2: . 4 times he gifted passes he better stop that pronto. :angry:

Couldn't make it today but recorded and just watched the game on Alba. I thought it was a decent enough game and both sides tried to get the ball down and pass and on the most part the passing was quite good. Only thing was we were outnumbered in the final third and with Murphy and McHugh we looked a bit one dimensional. Last week we could change to a higher, more direct ball and Higdon was either able to knock on or spray it wide and with that different threat we looked a much better team versus Inverness. Though we defended much better today against what is maybe a better all round team and if we are going to get any success away from home that will be key. More to be encouraged about than concerned about I'd say. And I would never knock back an away point against anyone.

Couldn't make it today but recorded and just watched the game on Alba. I thought it was a decent enough game and both sides tried to get the ball down and pass and on the most part the passing was quite good. Only thing was we were outnumbered in the final third and with Murphy and McHugh we looked a bit one dimensional. Last week we could change to a higher, more direct ball and Higdon was either able to knock on or spray it wide and with that different threat we looked a much better team versus Inverness. Though we defended much better today against what is maybe a better all round team and if we are going to get any success away from home that will be key. More to be encouraged about than concerned about I'd say. And I would never knock back an away point against anyone.

Here Here That man!

With the chance Law could and maybe should have squared for McHugh, I think he saw McHugh as being a fraction behind and not as straightforward a pass as maybe looked from the stand. As it developed I was watching McHughs run thinking come on McHugh get up and get there for a tap in and Law seemed to delay so it could happen then decided rightly or wrongly to take it on himself and it was a second to long in the deciding as the defender lunged across to cover.

Was a position he should have at least worked the keeper from if he didn't make the pass though so definately one of the most frustrating parts of the game.

No hiding the fact we need some new faces as Killie despite big changes they needed to make from last season had the bodies to make those changes and we didn't. Saunders on for Hately seemed worth a go. Regardless of a fairly poor game from Hately he looked knackered. And Smith for McHugh couldn't really have hurt. McHugh was game and whilst didn't exactly stake a place for a start put a decent shift in and might have scored.

I'm going to risk my neck here as most on this forum seem to be sooking oot his arse with a golden straw:

Humphrey was pish and is on many occasions, he cannot control a ball closely and can only run..

Preparing for a shitstorm.

His crossing was better than Hateley's efforts.

Humphrey looked as though he didn't have much confidence when running at somebody and left the ball behind quite a few times.He's the quickest player in the spl, he should be off making a run whenever we get the ball on that side but he comes short or goes backwards far too often.Law looked decent again but he looks to try and do too much, a few times today and last week he tried to take on far too much and gave it away.That can be dealt with though and he looks very promising.Agree that Murphy was quiet and Hately was pish.

"It was a fantastic performance from my players and Motherwell's players,"

"The priority is to win, but what a fantastic game it was."

"I've seen five games this season, and they've all been highly entertaining,"

"Teams are playing with guile and craft and intelligence. You don't get that in England.

Comments like that coming from the manager of an S.P.L club[Kenny Shiels] are frightning. Fantastic ,highly entertaining, guile craft and intelligence arent words i would use to describe yesterdays game or Scottish football ,and someone said I was takin oot ma arse ,aye right. :laugh:

Can someone explan to me why a point away from home is seen as an achievement and so much harder than a point at home?

I can understand the problems with playing away from home if a) the home crowd is massive b) it is a long journey prior to the game for players c) playing in Europe but when it's a one hour bus trip down the road to Kilmarnock playing in front of a tiny home support, I don't see why it should be any harder than a game at Fir Park.

It sounds to me like another excuse in the long line of excuses that teams and supporters drag out to explain an average performance. It's too early in the season/ It's been a long hard season/ the team have played three games in a week/ etc all come into that catagory as well for me.

I am not complaining about the result yesterday because that would be doing a diservice to a decent Killie side but I would like to see us as a support have more ambition than accepting an away point in these types of matches.

Can someone explan to me why a point away from home is seen as an achievement and so much harder than a point at home?

Here's a good article on home advantage. Interestingly it debunks your assumtion that crowd numbers are a major factor. You certainly can't argue with the stats that home advantage exisists for whatever reason.

As for yesterdays match. I thought it was a good game, and the only thing lacking was a bit of goalmouth action. Killies penatly shout early on looked like a stonewaller and we were lucky to survive the opening 10 and closing 10 minutes. For the most part of the rest of the match we seemed to have control. Everythings already been said, missed Higdon, too lightweight up front, Hately and Humph we're poor and the entire team seemed exhausted by the end (not surprising so early in the season in that kind of heat).

I'm going to risk my neck here as most on this forum seem to be sooking oot his arse with a golden straw:

Humphrey was pish and is on many occasions, he cannot control a ball closely and can only run..

Preparing for a shitstorm.

Going on yesterdays game, he was pretty terrible. The amount of times he basically ran over the ball and messed up an attack was shocking, and very frustrating.

Players have off games all the time, second game of the season they can only improve!

That's why I said that I was going on yesterdays game only. I certainly wouldn't be complaining if he steps up and plays a blinder against Hearts on Sunday.

Decent point yesterday. Killie started the better of the 2 teams and it should of been a penalty when Dayton was brought down early on. Defensively we looked pretty solid apart from a couple of poor passes from Hutchinson which could of been costly, but he made a couple of excellent blocks to his credit. Humphrey was woeful with no end product/skill at all. Best chance was with Law which really should of been squared to McHugh instead of a weak attempted chip. Credit to the Well boys again kept the singing going throughout.

The prob with playing this early in the season is that the pitches lack zip or too much zip, prob not the best excuse for the Pro footballer but it does play a major part, that might be the reason that some of the touches and passes of the players caught them out, the ball is not traveling as fast along the pitch/or traveling to fast, so they are getting there to early/Late hence mis timing runs, passes.

Im sure as the weather cools down and the winter sets in conditions will improve for a more entertaining style of football.

Scotland like most main land countrys in Britain dont know what its like to play in blistering heat and rock hard pitches so thats the best i can do for any sort of excuse.

The prob with playing this early in the season is that the pitches lack zip or too much zip, prob not the best excuse for the Pro footballer but it does play a major part, that might be the reason that some of the touches and passes of the players caught them out, the ball is not traveling as fast along the pitch/or traveling to fast, so they are getting there to early/Late hence mis timing runs, passes.

Im sure as the weather cools down and the winter sets in conditions will improve for a more entertaining style of football.

Scotland like most main land countrys in Britain dont know what its like to play in blistering heat and rock hard pitches so thats the best i can do for any sort of excuse.

Absolute pish

• Like 6

what blistering heat have the players had to play in and as for the pitches they'll be anything but rock hard

All in all I wasn't disappointed with the result yesterday. At times we played some good fitba and made some decent openings, but sadly we lacked the killer ball in front of goal. That will come though, I'm sure of it. By and large we were very solid defensively, however Hutch and Hateley almost sold the jersey a couple of times with poor distribution. Need to keep an eye on things like that.

In terms of the quality of the game, my own view is that I'd rather see teams play like us and Killie did yesterday when conditions are good, rather than be very route one and negative. Perhaps when pitches deteriorate and the weather is nasty we'll have to adapt, but right now we have the players for a patient passing style, and for me its very easy on the eye. We won't always make and/or convert loads of chances, but we seem to be going about it the right way.

Kudos to the 'choir' just to my left yesterday, showed the team some great vocal and visual encouragement from minute one, keep it up lads!

So when we are just about watching three times rescheduled games in -8, when the pitches are cut up to buggery, we will be watching the peak of this season's fitba 'cause the players won't have to worry about the lack of or even too much "zip" from the perfect pitches they had to suffer in the summer? I'm amazed Messi is even able to trap a moving ball in the searing heat of the Nou Camp given that it is pitches that make the differnce and not skill or natural ability.