The Michael Higdon Thread

DEWELL

I think we should all be encouraged by the fact that we have Higdon, Murphy, the hottest forward in Scottish football since McFadden and two young strikers in McHugh and Smith.

Okay, there is no real depth, but I'd rather have those four than anything that Hibs, Aberdeen or indeed Hearts have on there books and those clubs operate with a much larger wage bill.

I won't be slaughtering your opinion, but I don't see how you can talk about our two unknown youth players McHugh and Smith in a positive fashion but dismiss every other teams unknown youth players. Whilst I don't know fuck all about the other teams youth squads, I certainly think they will be able to rival Boab and Smith.

if we keep playing this style of football i reckon higdon and murphy can both score 20+ goals this season.

plus hateley, law and humphrey should be looking for 6+ each.

i think we can keep beating the teams outwith old firm regularly and finish 3rd.

If we got 15-20 each out of Higdon and Murphy I would be more than delighted with that. 30 goals between them

would be a great return. We also have a few players who are good enough to get in amongst it but even four or five of the squad netting five goals a piece would no doubt see us high up the table.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not one for kicking a man when he's down, and he has got a couple of goals for us already, but Higdon was rank rotten today.

I've never seen a guy so big who refuses to jump when a high ball is played towards him. I remember saying that he appeared really slow at the start of the season, and that was explained away by him carrying an injury.

Well, he better get the finger out. The fans are already turning on him it would appear.

I thought Law, Hammell & Murphy at least tried to make things happen. Both Higdon & Craigan were murder today.

Agree with Law. Would have agreed with Hammell up untill his gift for their second, but that was totally unforgivable. Can't remember Murphy doing anything of note.

• Like 1

I thought Law, Hammell & Murphy at least tried to make things happen. Both Higdon & Craigan were murder today.

Murphy did the square root of fuck all today, and hasn't for a while. In fairness to him though, he's forced to play far too close to the half way line most of the time. He's just not being used in the right areas of the pitch to play to his strengths.

Although, that's one of our massive massive flaws. We have a lot of players that play well when we can play exactly to their strengths, but as soon as they have to take a step outside their comfort zone they are fucked. We don't have nearly enough in-game adaptability.

• Like 1

Why did we keep hitting long balls to him? It's not his game. I know he's six foot but his link up play with his feet is much better than with his head. He showed in the Dunfermline game he can be a good player and can finsh if given the chance. The biggest problem was we created zero chances for him today which he's partly to blame for cause he was fairly gash as well.

If we create chances he wil score and he will get at least double figures this season. If we're playing well and creating chances he will score goals and will be very useful. My biggest problem is if we're not playing well like today and not creating chances for him I'm not sure what he adds.

I personally thought he was by no means the worst culprit today, Clancy, Jennings, Craigan and Lasley to name a few were ranging from pish to utter shite. However it will always be the likes of Higdon that will get it in the neck. He's a big boy and I'm sure he can take it. If it's any comfort to the lad the same people giving him abuse gave stick to Clarky for years and to Porter and the Juke when they first came so he shouldn't worry too much about them. I'm fully confident he will be a good player for us

Murphy did the square root of fuck all today, and hasn't for a while. In fairness to him though, he's forced to play far too close to the half way line most of the time. He's just not being used in the right areas of the pitch to play to his strengths.

Excellent post Al. This season he's been wasted.

At one point this afternoon we had 3 wingers but only one striker on the pitch. Is it any wonder we can't score goals?

While respecting people's right to single players out for a bit of stick it has to be noted that 10 or 11 players were just as bad yesterday and at other times this season.

Craigan, Jennings, Lasley and Murphy having holes down the spine was as big a reason as any for our poor showing.

Randolph, Hately, Humphrey and Hammel also contributed with mares.

Law tried valiantly to set a high standard but gave up an joined the rest.

However I noted Clancy and Higdon being singled out for a special kind of stick.

Higdon is more than capable of doing a job with the right support.

However, if McCall only ever intended on replacing Sutton & Jeffers with one striker, we should have been looking for a striker with better mobility.

You've hit the nail on the head. Our striking options, or rather lack of them, is a fundamental weakness in the squad which many of us foresaw well before the transfer window closed. Irrespective of the type of striker you have you do need more than one. Its not rocket science. If Michael Higdon gets injured I dread to think who'll we'll play up front.

You've hit the nail on the head. Our striking options, or rather lack of them, is a fundamental weakness in the squad which many of us foresaw well before the transfer window closed. Irrespective of the type of striker you have you do need more than one. Its not rocket science. If Michael Higdon gets injured I dread to think who'll we'll play up front.

Its the old quality or quantity debate Dave ,do we pay a wee bit more for quality players [Law,Jenno,] or do we bring in 4or5 squad players .When everything is going well and the squad is injury and suspension free the quality option is fine. But when injury strikes or players go of the boil your in trouble.

I think its very unfair to single out strikers after yesterdays display. Our Strikers didn't play well but they need supply and they didn't get any yesterday. You just have to say it was a very poor team performance with no one even looking average.

Funnily enough I think the only serious save of the match that Enckelman had was from Higdon.