The Michael Higdon Thread

DEWELL

I actually have been thinking he was playing reasonably well, if not getting the goals or plaudits his play merited.

Everyone is entitled to a bad at the office and hell knows the whole team had one yesterday. That and the fact that I don't equate running around like a headless chicken as the sign of a promising player or a skillful footballer.........but..........

There were times where he would challenge for the ball, win or lose, he would make little effort to do much more. It probably looks worse than it is, but I would like to see more determination and effort going into his play.

i havent been to impressed with higdons work rate so far he looks to lazy at times but overall hes far to isolated up front we need to start putting more crosses in and play to his strenghts.even yesterdays game whenever the ball was played long none of our players are anywhere near him our midfield plus murphy need to get closer to him lasley or jennings should take a gamble and get forward now and again to help out

Higdon is getting loads of stick, but the problem is that Law and Humphrey seem to be told to cut in and try and pass it into the net. Thats not playing to Higdons strengths.

We had loads of chances to cross the ball in on Saturday but chose to pass it. Also it doesn't help when about 75% of our crosses went out of play.

Cant stand this topic.....

Higdon has got no chance in the world....90% of the passes to him are in the air, main over his head, and the 10% to his feet are when he has has back to goal.....

I accept people have their opinion and that's fair do's....thinking back to killie on the second game of the season, we played with Murphy and Bob up front and we were completely toothless....

For the Higdon hater and moaners out there, who would you play instead of him???

• Like 2

All of these issues were discussed weeks ago. Falkirk and St Mirren fans told us ad nauseum that IF we played him to his strengths then we'd have one very good player on our hands. I believe that 100%.

MH is NOT a target man but that is how he is being played. He needs another mobile striker him in the Juke mould and he doesn't have that. Right now Jamie Murphy must be an absolute nightmare to play with (not the lads fault) - MH will not know from one minute to the next where he'll pop up (he may even appear behind Lasley & Jennings). MH has a slow and defensive central midfield behind him who are unable to support him on the attack.

Give the guy a chance.....please.

I've gone on about our lack of striking options before but, like others, I'm still amazed that we only have one out and out experienced striker on our books.

All of these issues were discussed weeks ago. Falkirk and St Mirren fans told us ad nauseum that IF we played him to his strengths then we'd have one very good player on his hands. I believe that 100%.

MH is NOT a target man but that is how he is being played. He needs another mobile striker him in the Juke mould and he doesn't have that. Right now Jamie Murphy must be an absolute nightmare to play with (not the lads fault) - MH will not know from one minute to the next where he'll pop up (he may even appear behind Lasley & Jennings). MH has a slow and defensive central midfield behind him who are unable to support him on the attack.

Give the guy a chance.....please.

I've gone on about our lack of striking options before but, like others, I'm still amazed that we only have one out and out experienced striker on our books.

When it comes to the technical side of the game I'm not the most knowledgeable,systems, formations and the like are for others to debate .But i know when we play poorly and when a player is playing poorly ,on Saturday we played very poorly and some of the players not for the first time this season were sadly lacking ,3 players in particular come to mind Higdon,Humphrey and Lasley. McCall doesn't seem to want to change the team ,now if the team play tomorrow night in the same way as they did on Saturday would i be right in saying that McCall is much like myself, clueless when it comes to the technical side of the game.

Higdon hasn't been as bad as some are painting.

That may be true, but can anyone tell me why he point blank refuses to jump for the ball? Is there something going on that I don't know about? Is he still injured or something?

If he is, that would account for him being slower than Craigan.

That may be true, but can anyone tell me why he point blank refuses to jump for the ball? Is there something going on that I don't know about? Is he still injured or something?

If he is, that would account for him being slower than Craigan.

He might still be injured, but it's also true that some people are just crap at jumping. However, just because you are tall doesn't mean you thrive off the high ball. Higdon's strengths lie elsewhere. He is a bit like Porter - a good link up player, a natural goal scorer and, by SPL standards, a wee bit slow.

You only need to see how many he banged in for a poor St. Mirren team to realise that he can definitely cut it at our level.

From the highlights and live games I have seen, he does seem to be isolated far too often. Whether we are pressing or playing counterattacking, he needs support.

Higdon is a better all round footballer than John Sutton, though the latter has a better work rate. If the big man starts getting the supply Sutton had, the goals will definetly follow!

As many have said, he ain`t got a decent partner just now, as its Murphy that needs a rocket up his arse!

Also, a heard some moron shout abuse at Higdon on Sat in the East stand. What good is that gona do anyones confidence?! :wallbash:

Higdon just needs that break and the goals will come, Sutton was no better than Higdon and i would argue Higdon wins many more flicks ons that Sutton ever did, i reckon Higdon will come good. He is getting the chances and getting shots away, could easily be on 5 or 6 goals by now. I believe he will play better with another player along side him with pace, Daley would be the perfect foil. Daley Higdon up front, worth a shout?

I'm sorry, but Higdon is absolutely crap. I tried to give the guy a chance but he just isn't up to it.

On Saturday he was unknown, getting beaten to every header. And tonight he was never in the right position. 3 chances across the goal mouth and he was nowhere to be seen... And yes he scored a goal, but he didn't move for it, it landed at his feet and he stroked it home. Looking back, Sutton would have slotted all 3 of the goal mouth chances and would have been more of a threat. I did notice that he seemed to create more chances between the 70-90 minute area, but that's just not enough. Not to mention the numerous offsides and bad headers/passes.

Sorry Higdon, but I just don't rate you.

Personally I thought Higdon was immense tonight winning headers all over the park including a good few defensive headers, held the ball up well and scored a goal, however there are so many people on this forum for whom he will never be good enough.

Higdon will never flourish in the lone striker role thats not the type of player he is, we need to have players running off him for when he holds up the ball.

• Like 4

I'm sorry, but Higdon is absolutely crap. I tried to give the guy a chance but he just isn't up to it.

On Saturday he was unknown, getting beaten to every header. And tonight he was never in the right position. 3 chances across the goal mouth and he was nowhere to be seen... And yes he scored a goal, but he didn't move for it, it landed at his feet and he stroked it home. Looking back, Sutton would have slotted all 3 of the goal mouth chances and would have been more of a threat. I did notice that he seemed to create more chances between the 70-90 minute area, but that's just not enough. Not to mention the numerous offsides and bad headers/passes.

Sorry Higdon, but I just don't rate you.

:doh:

How would you rate Jamie Murphy tonight................apparently he still plays with us.........

" Lionel" Sutton cant get a game with hearts !!!!

Personally I thought Higdon was immense tonight winning headers all over the park including a good few defensive headers, held the ball up well and scored a goal, however there are so many people on this forum for whom he will never be good enough.

Higdon will never flourish in the lone striker role thats not the type of player he is, we need to have players running off him for when he holds up the ball.

I just don't think he's in the right place at the right time. Maybe it's the sheer pace of Humph, but he's never in the 6 yard box ready to slot into the net.

=/

:doh:

How would you rate Jamie Murphy tonight................apparently he still plays with us.........

" Lionel" Sutton cant get a game with hearts !!!!

People are going to rate him by the penalty miss. He created some good moves throughout, it wasn't a bad performance, nor one particularly memorable.

But I would take Sutters back over Higdon any day to be honest.