Friday Football

rightdodgyman

Given that the good lady and I are in London that weekend I'd been quietly hoping this one might get moved. Only trouble being I was hoping for the Monday night rather than the Friday which still means I'm goosed.

I think I've seen Motherwell play games every day of the week, including Friday nights on a few occasions and in recent seasons because of postponements, live TV games, rescheduled matches down to Europe that we've gone weeks at a time without a Saturday fixture at Fir Park.

I think all that has made me a little indifferent at the prospect of the occasional league game on a Friday.

Preference for me will always be a Saturday at 3pm certainly but football on a Friday is not without some benefits.

Just spoke to my dad and he can't make the game either now as he's doing something that night. So that's two season ticket holders now unable to make a game they've paid for. Well done, Motherwell. Not usually one to have a go at the club, but this is ridiculous.

Maybe the club, and the SPL as a whole, should arrange the fixtures around your schedule then? Of course, that suggestion is just ridiculous.

Probably pointless replying, but anyway...

You seem to have missed my original point on this which is that I've already arranged my shedule around the fixture list:

Not happy at all. I work one in four Saturdays and this was one of a couple of home games I was going to miss, so arranged a holiday to make it. Now I won't get to the game at all as I'm going to a gig on the Friday night.

In general, my opinion on this is still negative. Are people going to find a cold Friday December night at Fir Park attractive just before Christmas? Not really. Will it increase the crowd? No; I think it'll decrease the crowd if anything.

Of course I don't think the club should arrange the fixture list around my schedule. Don't be so facetious. However, I don't really think it's unreasonable for someone to be unhappy at arranging their social activities and work arrangements around a published fixture list* and to then be unhappy when a few weeks prior to the game, the fixture is moved to a different day which they can't make, especially when they've already paid to go to the game.

If I'd bought tickets for a gig and then that was moved to a day I couldn't make for whatever reason, I'd be annoyed at that as well. I'm sure most people would in the same situation.

The problem with football in general is that it thinks it's different from other forms of entertainment and that it can muck its loyal fans about as much as it likes and we'll still come back. Not sure if that says more about football or the loyal fans.

*Granted it's published subject to change I believe, but Friday night football in the run up to Christmas or even winter in general... really? Maybe I should keep all my Friday nights clear from now on "just in case".

Everybody loves a moan but I cannae wait.

What the fuck has the fact that its coming up to Christmas got to do with it though?

Well it's all about attracting more fans (i.e. not season ticket holders), so the run up to Christmas isn't a very good time to have a Friday night football experiement. Folk don't have much spare money then - nights out to pay for, presents to buy and so on.

Crowds around the SPL aren't improving. Hence they are trying new ideas. A majority of the home support polled by the SPL, who went to the first Friday night game, said they would like to try it again.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't :doh:

But the majority of away fans said the opposite!!!

As for the comment on Saturday at 3.00pm games, yes around half of games are played then. Has it ever occurred to you that the crowds started to decrease at the same time the started messing around with the schedule.

Far to late about the damned if they do comment they already have!!

Even though it is more of a challenge working around the UK or Edinburgh (base), I am actually OK with this. 12 noon on a Sunday is worse.

This way - most can watch the game - get home and have the whole weekend to look forward too. That and go shopping with the missus :doh: or catch up on some televised games that I tend to miss because I am travelling from and back to auld reekie.

Prepared to give it a go....

Shocking idea that again takes little notice of season ticket holders that have paid in advance. Will I get a refund if I can't attend? No. Only good thing about it is its not 12 noon on a Sunday. Can almost understand when kick off times are changed for TV as we (SPL) need the revenue, however to move the kick off time from 3pm on a Saturday for no reason is frankly a joke. Well seen that no home games involving Rangers or Celtic have been involved in this trial. Joke.

Holy utter fuckity shit, I've read a whole load of shite on this forum but this thread's one of the worst I can remember.

See apart from 'tradition', why is a saturday during the day SOOO amazing a time for football? I know a good half dozen people who went to every single home game, but then got part time jobs and now hardly ever go. Saturday at 3 is the worst time possible for me. ALOT of people work weekends, very few work a Friday night.

And as for "I hate Friday football cos I've arranged to go on that Saturday" - Thats just an issue with changing the schedule, nothing to do with what day of the week it is.

I think it's a great idea. People are goni get steaming on Friday night, not so much on a Saturday afternoon = better atmosphere, more enjoyable.

We all go on about how we need some radical changes and experiments to shake some life into our game, but as soon as somethings mentioned, we all foam at the mouth and shout how we're NEVER COMING BACK! SEASON TICKET IN EH BIN!!!!

I'm lookin forward to the fixture, and would love to see ticket prices slashed for it. Good bounce under the floodlights.

• Like 4

I'm lookin forward to the fixture, and would love to see ticket prices slashed for it. Good bounce under the floodlights.

Thinking longer term, travelling after work for an away fixture (or a home fixture depending on location etc) will be problematic, but anything is worth a go.

Only problem with the idea of slashing prices is you wouldn't be able to determine whether a bigger crowd was down to day/time or the lower cost.

I will be there regardless but it will be interesting to see what the next idea is!

Well it's all about attracting more fans (i.e. not season ticket holders), so the run up to Christmas isn't a very good time to have a Friday night football experiement. Folk don't have much spare money then - nights out to pay for, presents to buy and so on.

Sorry I don't follow your argument.

Are you saying that if games kicked off at 3 pm on Saturdays in the lead up to Christmas that folk would have more spare money then?

I'm against Friday evening football but for different reasons. Yes, many folk are tempted or forced to go Christmas shopping on the Saturdays before Christmas and so I can understand the timing of the trial from that angle BUT many folk will have festive nights out booked and can't attend football.

It doesn't matter a whit what we think though, the proof of the pudding and all that. We'll see what the attendance on the night actually is.

This particular game makes no difference to me as I'm in London from 30/11 to 4/12 so whenever it was played I was missing it. We are where we are though and crowds are dwindling and we need to be creative to try and bring them back. However it doesn't take Einstein to work out that the biggest loss has been away supports and that is where we need to work and playing games at night only reduces the away support - this is not a dig at Hibs by the way because the same would be replicated if it was at Easter Road. Selfishly if I was here I would be delighted for a night game if I was at home as a once or twice a season thing but I do think if the SPL intended doing this this season it should have been made public before the season started and therefore people could have made an educated decision whether to buy a season ticket or not. But to me its wrong to dismiss or remain with Friday night football on the basis of one game involving two teams.