Aberdeen Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

David

8 Away games - 6 victories. Can't beat that. And no win for Broon over Motherwell. In fact, thus far, they aint beat us since before taking McGhee up there. Fantastic win!

Broon no doubt will say after the game......"Ah, but Aberdeen won 5-3 on corners"......

Gritty, determined, dogged defensive display. Nobody was at the top of their game but the work rate was terrific. Everyone from Murphy and Higdon to Craggs and Hutch worked their arses off. 

I love big Omar, what a boy great finish. Another goal for Higgy, was his header powerful enough?? :lol:

Great win and 9 points clear in 3rd and 17 clear of the Dons already.

Cheer up Brown ya lying auld git! 

Great win. :D

On my way back at the moment on the train from Aberdeen. Firstly, congratulations to the players and Stuart for a superb result. We could have crumbled today, and almost did if the first half is anything to go on, but we kept at it and got two goals from two shots. Big praise has to go to Omar Daly who I thought was the difference. He showed his class on several occassions and it highlighted the big difference between a pacy player with a football brain, and, well, Humphrey.

Down points for me was another inaffectual showing from Jamie Murphy. You just want to give him a good shake. I'm not sure what it is, whether a lack of confidence and belief, the fact he's maybe a bit of a wee fearty, or perhaps a combination. He has great potential but is in danger of his career stalling. I also thought Nicky Law had another game that he drifted in and out of, and if it wasn't for Jennings dictating play in the centre of midfield Aberdeen would have run right over the top of us.

As for the carry on in the stands, it's clear that the police and stewards at Pittodrie were heavy handed to say the least. Well over a dozen Motherwell fans appeared to be tossed out the ground, but to my knowledge I don't think any actually got lifted. Some of the people involved certainly didn't help themselves, but the vast majority seemed to be guilty of simply trying to give vocal backing to their team. I've not seen an atmosphere like that in an away end outwith Ibrox or Parkhead in a long time, and I would be interested to see if the club are going to make inquiries into the treatment of the away support.

However, trying not to draw away from what was a tremendous three points. I can almost hear the Champions League music.

Viva Motherwell

Fantastic result!

I kept quiet as I had a bit of the fear about the game. For one thing we've lorded it over Aberdeen for so long now that they must have been due a result against us, even if it was one they totally fluked. There was also the fact it was my first away game since St Mirren in August so after all those successive impressive away results I thought it was a stick on I'd catch a defeat.

But no!!!

Couldn't have asked for a better start with the early goal. Another superb delivery from Hateley and another goal for Higgy.

Should have been the platform for us to on go on and dominate but we hardly kicked a ball as an attacking force for the rest of the half. Thought Hateley was a bit too easy beat and Vernon was left unmarked for their equaliser so it didn't cover us in glory at all. Thereafter we had a fair bit of possession but they had us squeezed deep and were either forced to go to long or simply kept passing it until we lost poseession so quite a frustrating half.

Nice to see Omar get off the mark on his first start. Lead the Dons defence a merry dance so he did before firing home. There seemed to be a couple of opportunities for him to shoot earlier and I think there were a few folk screaming "shooooooooot" as he saw off defender after defender before he put it away.

After regaining the lead, one superb save from Randy that he turned around the post, I thought we looked fairly comfortable.

Heard an Aberdeen fan claim that we had played pretty well but I'd say I've seen us play a good bit better myself. What you simply can't praise them enough for is the teamwork, character and knowledge that's instilled within that group of players that enables them to get the job done and eek out the result even when things aren't going as smoothly as they might.

This continues to be a season to savour!!

Aberdeen really did play like the away team which does not suit us. So therefore it was fantastic that they gifted us a goal by conceding a cheap free kick though in credit to Hateley defending that ball was nigh on impossible. But just like against Celtic we then undid our good work by letting in a daft goal. As much as Hateley's ball for our goal was immense the non-tackle he put in half an hour late with the wrong foot opened up our defence and I'm not sure who was watching Vernon. And that put us back to 1-1 after ten minutes and Brown could go back to plan A of sapping any football out the contest..

The rest of the first half doesn't really merit any time and that is all I'm saying about it.

2nd half started with a great goal from Omar Daley. What a bit of skill and finish. And from then on Aberdeen had to push out which they really don't look like comfortable doing. And apart from a couple of headers we reduced them to long range shots. We were comfortable.

All in a good day.