Motherwell Vs Dundee United Discussion Thread

David

Poor game but a lot of that was down to the weather. That's the crappy weather for the football here then. It was warmer at Aberdeen last week!!

Still another point on the board but I would rather have not seen Hearts and St Johnstone both winning. I still think the Hibs game on Friday will be a hard game.

Shite conditions shite game. How Hutch missed that free header 6 yards out I'll never know. Jennings tackle near the end to save us was immense. Another poor home performance, Jennings and Higdon were the best performers for us imo. Gunning had a cracking game too for them I thought.

Change of plan needed for next week. If Lasley and Hutch are out I expect Clancy and Hughes to come in.

we didn't commit enough men forward to score, their keeper made one save. at the other end randy made a few and we were lucky with their poor finishing.

the first half tactics were beyond belief but we were much better in the 2nd. mccall needs to think about how to make us more dangerous going forward, we've rode our lucky recently without creating many chances. 3 goals in 6 home games is pathetic.

Thought Daley wasn't bad at all today. United came for a point and took one home, summed up by taking a striker off just after the break for a defender! Still, another point. Think the Saint Johnstone away tie is going to be crucial.

The game was largely spoilt by the bad weather. The only positive was that we got a point from a game that giving the weather was a potential banana skin. I only wish teams would try their luck a bit more as windy conditions tend to make goalkeepers and defenders nervous, which usually leads to mistakes in and around the box. This was not a game to be making 20 or 30 passes before eventually seeing the ball go out for a bye kick. It was a day for trying your luck from distance and getting the ball into the opposition box as quick as possible.

I thought we did ok today especially 2nd half where we basically ran the show. Weather was atrocious and i dont think Daley and Humprey should both be playing at the same time. Daley ithought did ok Humphrey a passenger as usual. Thought the other passenger Higdon had one of his better games too. :whistling: . So all in all im not too dissapointed we deserved to win but hey that's football. :rolleyes:

Ooft, some game to pick my comeback. The subs practising that piggy in the middle shite at half time instead of working out how to gain something from the wind was the only thing I noticed. Hawd on, no that's wrong. Noticed the wind blowing the rain in one direction and a wee metallic pie dish going in the other, amazing.

Not a great day to try two wingers. Definitely didn't utilise them as well as we could have. However, the weather was atrocious - can't really expect brilliance in those conditions. It was good to see determination in the boys though and Higdon had a great game...now to find the player to take advantage of his knock-ons! All in all, draw a fair result. Onwards and upwards!

A bit like Finlay posted earlier, not that upset with a point from our game, bit annoyed that both St Johnstone and Hearts have gained a couple of points on us.

Not overly surprised to see that McCall was happy with the point too, it did seem fair enough, although I do seem to remember United having a few more opportunities than us over the piece.

Utd will always be awkward opponents at the best of times so with the wind behind them in the first half, that iffy wee spell just before the break apart, it was pleasing to see we coped generally quite well with them. Just wish that when we did get towards their goal we might have taken the opportunity to fire an effort or two in on goal - thinking here of occasions when Law and Humphrey passed up chances to shoot.

Second half we looked as if we were going to take advantage of the conditions but it all sort of petered out a bit. Frustrating given that when we did get them ball into their box from corners and set-pieces it did seem to rattle them a bit.

I wondered if perhaps it might have been worth chucking on Gary Smith to give us an extra forward up there with bit of height and who may have been able to link up a bit more closely in the box with Higdon. I can well understand though why McCall would have erred on the side of caution though and I suppose given the subbies were eventually required to replace those with knocks perhaps it might not have been the best idea after all!

I thought United coped with the conditions marginally better than us and took advantage of having the wind at their backs by shooting at every opportunity. Why we didn't follow their example in the second half I don't know. Pernis is absolute gash and the one shot he did have to deal with he spilled, whereas Randolph made a few great saves throughout the game and to be honest kept us in it.

Jennings got us that point today. He was immense.

Weather was terrible but as a few have said we didn't use the conditions to our advantage. Houston shut up shop in the second half and tried to catch us on the break. We should have done this in the first half.

Also we need to just shoot more. Too many times we try another pass and the move breaks down.

Thought we played better in the second half than we did in the first, Big Higdon was my motm with Humphrey and Daley sharing the wooden spoon . Deserved our point in a hard fought game played in poor conditions.. Goes without saying that our home form has to improve if we are to have a real chance of a euro place, scoring some goals would be a start.

I think we coped better than them at defending into the teeth of the wind. But they looked much more dangerous when they were hitting us on the break in the 2nd half. Both teams tried to play the game the right way and tried to take the conditions into account. However in fairness both teams also defended very well for the mostpart and with that and the wind it just petered out. I don't think we played especially badly but I don't think we did enough to win. I'm slightly disappointed that what had the makings of a good game never flourished the way it threatened.

Horrible day for fitba, and it was a horrible match for the most part too. We had control for most of the second half but lacked that killer touch and a bit of cohesion in front of goal. Defended well throughout which was very pleasing. All in all not too disappointed with a draw considering the conditions.

we didn't commit enough men forward to score, their keeper made one save. at the other end randy made a few and we were lucky with their poor finishing.

That sums it up for me. The weather had little to do with the outcome. With a formation including a solitary striker we were always going to struggle. Despite all our second half pressure, United were the more dangerous team. The lack of strikers is beginning to cause us serious problems. Daley for Murphy or Murphy for Daley is irrelevant.

I'm also beginning to question the wisdom of Stephen Hughes. He's only signed until the end of the year and has yet to play a single minute of first team football.

i remember the days when a draw against utd, was deemed a good result. I also remember reading a certain poster stating they dont fancy Hughes much in a battle, yet are suddenly suprised he aint playing in a battle in a middle of a weather storm :rolleyes:

Whilst, it's frustrating we aint battering teams 5 nil at home, we should be flattered that teams are trying to park the bus. Even the best teams in the world often struggle to beat well organised defensive teams, so why should we be any different given our lack of resources?

I would take a draw at home most weeks if our away form continues as it is. I reckon we are about 3 wins away from being safe from relegation!

As long as we continue to pick up points in most of our games, we will be fine.