The Race For Third

DEWELL

Have to say im getting a tad concerned about our european aspirations and i just hope we aint going to run out of steam. We looked jaded against Hibs and Dundee Utd and certain players ie Murphy and Humphrey are struggling and have been for a few games now. So what lies ahead..Will McHugh and Daley and Hughes step up to the plate or can we get Murphy going again. Both Killie and Saints have had good results and will push us all the way. It's still a good position to be in but we need to kick on and improve our home performances especially. Im convinced Hibs would've gubbed us last night and our home record especially goals for is pants. So the abandonment of last night's debacle was fine by me and i just hope that we're up for what should be quite a game against Saints. :mellow:

While we are not flying at the moment, 3rd is ours to throw away if nothing major happens during the January window. Hearts look less and less likely of turning things around and for me they are the only major threat over the course of a season.

Looked at a league table recently?

If St. Johnstone beat us next week at their place they are only 1 point behind us. Fair enough if we win it opens up a gap again but its a bit of a 6 pointer next Saturday.

Ya Beezer a bit of sense at last in this thread. We aint looking good up front with all 3 of our strikers off form at the moment. Last 2 home games for a game and a half we've been crap. I just hope we're up for it on saturday with a good noisy support behind us. :mellow:

Ya Beezer a bit of sense at last in this thread. We aint looking good up front with all 3 of our strikers off form at the moment. Last 2 home games for a game and a half we've been crap. I just hope we're up for it on saturday with a good noisy support behind us. :mellow:

At least its away from home!

I'd think about going but the only league away match I've been to this season was Kilmarnock so I'm obviously not a lucky mascot at the moment.

Its only a matter of time before the players will find there form again, Friday was blessing in disguise, with all the players arguing with eachother, this week in training there will be some true words said, and maybe some grievances aired. That will do the trick im sure, And because of the poor first half Friday, they will be looking to put that behind them.

3rd Place is still very much on, watched Celtic today and even they dont look great, i can see both Rangers and Celtic dropping more points over the next few weeks.

Hearts look useless, and prob something to do with not being paid over the last few weeks, think they have lost thier will to battle, and why should they when they dont get paid wages or bonuses.

Next weeks game is a good chance to bounce back.

Away win and secure 3rd place.

• Like 1

4th gets Europe this year and I can't see 2 teams catching us from the pack.

what's the deal for getting the 5th spot in europe? Alldepends on the scottish cup final.

2 top 5 teams in final then positions 1 to 5 are all in europe.

outwith top 5 wins final then top 4 are in europe

what if a top 2 teams beats a team not in the top 5 ???

What if 3rd or 4th beats a team not in the top 5 in the final???

Looked at a league table recently?

If St. Johnstone beat us next week at their place they are only 1 point behind us. Fair enough if we win it opens up a gap again but its a bit of a 6 pointer next Saturday.

how many six pointers have we had this season already? quite a few. If we're pegged back to one point, so be it. St Johnstone are on a high, but they are just as unconvincing as the rest of us. Nothing to fear, we'll go into the game against St Mirren in third and we'll go into the game against dunfermline points clear in third.

we have two poor games and the fans on this board assume we'll go down facepalm.gif

how many six pointers have we had this season already? quite a few. If we're pegged back to one point, so be it. St Johnstone are on a high, but they are just as unconvincing as the rest of us. Nothing to fear, we'll go into the game against St Mirren in third and we'll go into the game against dunfermline points clear in third.

we have two poor games and the fans on this board assume we'll go down facepalm.gif

I am looking on the bright side that we still have to hit our pruple patch !

I think some people need to calm down on here. We played poor on Friday, yes, but we still didn't lose the game due to the abandonment. Anyway a draw against United isn't a bad result and judging on our away form we have nothing to worry about.. In saying that we usually do have a sticky patch in December but so what if we do, the other 10 in the spl all have them so ffs calm down. I still think we'll finish top 4

I don't think we are particularly great, just better than the competition. The fact that an average St Johnstone side are 4th in the league sums up how poor the standard is.

Well St. Johnstone beat us easily at Fir Park with a lot to spare. Jamie Adams and Kevin Moon completely dominated the middle of the park yet I'm sure most 'Well supporters would say they are shite and couldn't lace Jennings and Lasley's boots.

They have a very good defence (only OF and Hearts have conceded less) and they have players like Jody Morris, Murray Davidson, Chris Millar (superb at Fir Park), Liam Craig and Francesco Sandaza in the middle and up front. All good SPL players.

They also taken points off both the Old Firm this season and only lost 2 out of their last 13 league matches.

I'm not sure how you can describe them as poor given their form and the fact that they beat us so easily last time.

They beat us under a different Manager, one of the best Scottish managers in fact! I don't see Lomas' tactics work against us. They only beat Hearts due to the fact that hearts are Pish at the moment and they got a lucky break with Kello trying to play god.

We can't play at home because our pitch isn't wide enough (narrowest in the league I believe?? ) but we do defend well at home (generally) which is why we are in the position we are in. Away from home, our three pacey wingers + our two pacey full backs makes us horrible to defend against, especially with now three players in the squad to play the perfect ball and a big hold up man up front! Two powerhouse centre backs and a top class keeper added to the mix is why we are so good away from home. However, we don't have enough space at Fir Park to utilise these strengths and so we don't get the Wins/goals but we do get points.

Best excuse in a million years. We don't play well cos our pitch isn't wide enough. Bullsheeeeeeeet.

Not at all, its an extremely good point. Its not the main reason of course, but it will be a factor. As we have a narrow pitch it makes it just that little bit easier to close our wingers & wide midfielders down. If we are trying to mount an attack it gives us that bit less room. Hibs were able to despatch 4 defenders very quickly to close Nick Law down at the corner flag and then withdraw them just as quickly once the danger had dissipated. They could not have done that on a wider pitch.

A point well made Wellfan 2K7