Motherwell V St Mirren Matchday Thread

shull

We're seven points clear of the side in 4th place that we just humped 3-0, and we're eleven points clear of Hearts in 5th with a game in hand. If we're serious about challenging for 3rd this season, we just need to keep doing what we're doing. We don't 'need the 3 points' in the slightest.

I disagree. We need to win games at home against sides like St Mirren if we want to finish 3rd. We may be seven points clear at the moment, but it's only December. We will lose games along the way, and wins against the lower league sides are vital, especially at home.

I would view anything other than a win on Saturday as points lost and a disappointment.

I disagree. We need to win games at home against sides like St Mirren if we want to finish 3rd. We may be seven points clear at the moment, but it's only December. We will lose games along the way, and wins against the lower league sides are vital, especially at home.

I would view anything other than a win on Saturday as points lost and a disappointment.

Motherwell will always lose games that we "should" be winning David whether we finish in the top 3 or the bottom 3. the last time we finished third we got pumped 3-0 at home to Falkirk. When we finished second we got hammered against Dundee United (6-1 I think). I think it's more important that we beat the teams in and around us. As long as wee keep around our points average then we will finish 3rd no problem irrespective of who we pick up the wins against.

Would be quite handy if Aberdeen beat St Johnstone tonight as well.

I feel filthy.

Fuck that, St J are far enough behind us that we don't need to worry about them (until we start losing regularly).

I want them to stick 5 past Aberdeen, and then United to butcher them on Saturday!

However, I suppose that two draws from these two games might keep Brown in a job longer which will then increase the chances of them getting relegated.

Hmmmm

• Like 1

I'm willing to suspend my dersire for Aberdeen to lose every game for tonight only. Third means way more to me than what happens to them. Regardless of Saturday, St Johnstone are still our main rivals at the moment and I want as much daylight as possible between us and them.

After tonight Aberdeen can go back to duffing up games on a very regular basis. One good win won't help a Club that is riddled with problems.

• Like 1

Again, not fooled by this notion of total football peddled by Danny Lennon or Kenny Shiels and chums in the weegie media. Big deal! They've cottoned on to the ideal not to kick the ball as hard and as high and as long as you can. Welcome to the 21st century... Attacking football is about creation of goals, not the cancelling out of the opposition which they hold up as a blue print that all good footballing sides should follow. Myth. St Mirren only better East Stirling in the goalscoring stakes!

Early goal to settle the nerves and it's all over bar the shouting.

• Like 1

Again, not fooled by this notion of total football peddled by Danny Lennon or Kenny Shiels and chums in the weegie media. Big deal! They've cottoned on to the ideal not to kick the ball as hard and as high and as long as you can. Welcome to the 21st century... Attacking football is about creation of goals, not the cancelling out of the opposition which they hold up as a blue print that all good footballing sides should follow. Myth. St Mirren only better East Stirling in the goalscoring stakes!

Early goal to settle the nerves and it's all over bar the shouting.

i agree with all that. they are following in the footsteps out of visionaries such as yogi hughes and jim gan...

but looking in the mirror we have scored the least amount of home goals in the league and have failed to score in half our home games. it's ok saying that we're better suited to playing away and going about the size of the park not suiting but by now we should know what is required at home and be willing to take chances to beat teams by commiting men forward.

Against St Mirren, they will be expecting the normal Wide men game as per norm, with pace, Daley could come off the wing and play directly behind Higdon, thus narrowing the game, and bringing LAW and Murphy into the game.

They will be expecting Daley or Humphrey to play out wide, and they will have prepared for doubling up on the winger reducing the crosses into the middle.

Play narrow, untill the second half then open the game up in the last 20 mins.

Early goal would be appreciated.

Some decent, and true, points made guys.

We don't score many goals, we do play some neat football but the fact we're not playing the decisive pass is costing us.

If we play well this could be a good game. The longer it stays at 0-0 your boys will start to feel the "home" pressure and we could win this.

If you get an early goal I fear that could settle you and could win comfortably.

Whatever way it goes I think it will be a decent enough game.

Good luck, 1-2 for me. :rolleyes:

Edited to say...............thanks for the dot. :yahoo:

Edited.......Many thanks for the cancelled dot. :thumbup:

• Like 1

would obviously love the 3 points but im happy with a point!! to keep our existing form on the go

we need to change about a bit and play narrower as someone else mentioned - whether this means dropping one of the wide men and playing the other up front

i'd like to see 442 diamond

randz

hateley heid craggs hammell

jenno

shug las

law

murphy higdon

although the Midden will pass the ball around, i still think they will come and park the bus. we need to be disciplined but adventurous, dont throw bodies forward for the sake of it but we do need to try and create good chances for Higdon or Shug/Law/Murph need to try and create something out of nothing - stop trying the Arsenal way of walking the ball into the net and sometimes - just have a shot!!!!!!

would obviously love the 3 points but im happy with a point!! to keep our existing form on the go

we need to change about a bit and play narrower as someone else mentioned - whether this means dropping one of the wide men and playing the other up front

i'd like to see 442 diamond

randz

hateley heid craggs hammell

jenno

shug las

law

murphy higdon

although the Midden will pass the ball around, i still think they will come and park the bus. we need to be disciplined but adventurous, dont throw bodies forward for the sake of it but we do need to try and create good chances for Higdon or Shug/Law/Murph need to try and create something out of nothing - stop trying the Arsenal way of walking the ball into the net and sometimes - just have a shot!!!!!!

Not a bad shout, re team selection, see how that goes for 60 mins... then make the changes, they will set up for wide men....Murphy will have to play on the shoulder of Higdon for the flick ons... if he plays to wide, we will fall straight into the Wing play plan which most if not all have sussed... Think Daley has a shout to start... just a case of who would you leave out...

St Mirren at Fir Park is always a game I dread as this is a fixture we really should be winning, but it is seldom that straight forward. Equally other teams will feel that when we visit them.

We're long over due an easy win against St Mirren but I will take a win of any sorts.

Big game for us as a win could push us even further ahead.

Personally I think we freeze at home now. It's become an issue. So I will say a narrow defeat or a draw.

Same team that beat St Johnstone comfortably.

St Mirren are one of the better sides in the SPL right now and are playing decent stuff so I expect a very tough test on Saturday.