Motherwell V St Mirren Matchday Thread

shull

* Michael Higdon playing with no support

* A slow predictable and over elaborate build up through central midfield

* Failure to get the ball out quickly enough to whoever is playing on the wings and only doing so when they are marked by 2/3/4 men.

* Jamie Murphy playing out of position and looking like a fish out of water

* Defending too deeply

* Giving the opposition acres, sorry hectares, of space when they're attacking despite ours being a tight pitch

* Failure to turn pressure into efforts at goal

Totally agree, sums up our performances in most of the home games to be honest. We give all teams far too much space and time on the ball.

Didn't put any pressure on their keeper at all yesterday as well, did my head in watching him being able to take his time, walk up the park and pump a high ball to the centre of our defence.

I quite agree that we've no right to win any game but I sincerely hope SM is trying to fathom out ways of improving our home form, I'm sure he is. However our home form has been mediocre, not poor, for months now and there is little indication of any change in tactics or line up (ok I accept Daley for Humphrey) is a limited change. We are displaying the same weaknesses that we did months ago and if we can see that, then sure as hell opposition managers can.

If any team aspires to finish 3rd, and I don't expect to incidentally, then they must have good home form. I could accept yesterday's result if it was a one off or if SM had been constantly trying out different options such as a 4-4-2 formation or a 5-3-2 formation or bringing in Tim Clancy, Bob McHugh or Steven Lawless but he hasn't. Our failings yesterday have been apparent all season:

* Failure to get the ball out quickly enough to whoever is playing on the wings and only doing so when they are marked by 2/3/4 men.

* Defending too deeply

* Giving the opposition acres, sorry hectares, of space when they're attacking despite ours being a tight pitch

Now this might sound like a gripe but its not. Our away form has been quite exceptional and my comments should be taken against that background. I'm sure fans of every team could produce similar lists. We are sitting 3rd and I don't see any reason why we shouldn't try to remain there. To do so however will require us to work on our weaknesses. St Mirren too have every right to feel aggrieved at yesterday's result and I see no reason why their fans shouldn't discuss their weakensses and ways to improve.

My rant does however carry the normal health warning. There will be the usual factors about which I, and other fans have no knowledge - the manager's view of certain players, their off the field attitude/behaviour, injuries, tactical nuances.

I'm not saying that 3rd spot is impossible but we will have to work on our long standing weaknesses to improve the probability of achieving that.

A hectare is smaller than an acre is it not?

I quite agree that we've no right to win any game but I sincerely hope SM is trying to fathom out ways of improving our home form, I'm sure he is. However our home form has been mediocre, not poor, for months now and there is little indication of any change in tactics or line up (ok I accept Daley for Humphrey) is a limited change. We are displaying the same weaknesses that we did months ago and if we can see that, then sure as hell opposition managers can.

If any team aspires to finish 3rd, and I don't expect to incidentally, then they must have good home form. I could accept yesterday's result if it was a one off or if SM had been constantly trying out different options such as a 4-4-2 formation or a 5-3-2 formation or bringing in Tim Clancy, Bob McHugh or Steven Lawless but he hasn't. Our failings yesterday have been apparent all season:

Play Murphy thru the middle to pick up knock ons in a position he can hurt teams

See above, gives alternative of direct ball with a chance of a positive outcome

If we have the option hurting teams with the direct ball they may not commit as many men to the wider positions

play Jamie Murphy up front

* Defending too deeply

If Murphy was playing up front assisting higdon in pressing opposing defenders our midfield and defence would also be able to push up....may expose our lack of pace at centre half tho!

see above

A second striker would give more options and hopefully create more end product

Now this might sound like a gripe but its not. Our away form has been quite exceptional and my comments should be taken against that background. I'm sure fans of every team could produce similar lists. We are sitting 3rd and I don't see any reason why we shouldn't try to remain there. To do so however will require us to work on our weaknesses. St Mirren too have every right to feel aggrieved at yesterday's result and I see no reason why their fans shouldn't discuss their weakensses and ways to improve.

My rant does however carry the normal health warning. There will be the usual factors about which I, and other fans have no knowledge - the manager's view of certain players, their off the field attitude/behaviour, injuries, tactical nuances.

I'm not saying that 3rd spot is impossible but we will have to work on our long standing weaknesses to improve the probability of achieving that.

Totally agree with KMcAlpin. We have every right to feel pleased with ourselves but we must show we are capable of successfully tweaking our tactics especially at home where the most obvious change required is to get someone close to higdon. His hold up play and knock ons flicks have been more than decent but have resulted in very little return.

Time to ressurect Murphys season. Get him in the middle!

Wouldnt solve all our problems but it would be a start. You could easy play Law on the left. He and Hammy had a very good understanding at start of season.

He books Daley for being unable to get out of the road of a free kick taken far too quickly. Then one of their strikers plays on well after being flagged for offside, boots the ball towards goal and escapes a card. Exactly the same as kicking the ball away in the rules I'm sure.

I think youv got your claret&amber specks on there, daley knew exactly what he was doing & was kicking the ball away to stop the quick free kick. harsh yellow maybe but probably a yelliw by letter of the law

I think youv got your claret&amber specks on there, daley knew exactly what he was doing & was kicking the ball away to stop the quick free kick. harsh yellow maybe but probably a yelliw by letter of the law

Looked like he hadn't permission to take the free kick to me therefore it shouldn't have been a booking.

Interesting to note that, after just 18 games, we have just 12 points less than after a full 38 games last season. 20 Games left, superb effort.

* Defending too deeply

I thought we were much better yesterday than in our previous home games and I was thinking about these things you have listed and wondered which ones we have done better.

1. I think Daley provides him better support than anyone else has when we have been at Fir Park. In so many games my criticism has been that he has won knock odwn after knock down only for opposing centre half to win the second ball. Yesterday Daley and Law won their share of them. What came next wasn't always good enough but I think we showed signs of learning. Just take a gander at Pie and Bovril and look at the St Mirren fans commending the knock downs he won.

2. Agree entirely. When Humphrey got on the ball and put the first three balls in after he came on you could hear the buzz about the place. Sadly St Mirren learned and made it harder for him and we were back to plan A.

3. I think this is because teams know if Humphrey gets the ball they are relying on an error by him to get back. Granted that happens often enough but its too much of a risk. Therefore we are forced into the middle or left hand side and we really need to get Law into the games more.

4. Murphy's had a poor season bar a couple of games and whilst he may not be in his best position I would expect an established SPL player to make more of an impact.

5. Sorry but I think this one is mince and goes exactly against the next one which I kind of agree with. We defend conservatively for the most part and occasionally we go a bit deep at set plays and struggle to get out but I think overall ou defensive line is at the right place.

6. Too often when we go for it at the end of games we look too exposed. Dundee Utd had so many chances from breaks in the 0-0 game and likewise yesterday St Mirren had a few too many opportunities towards the end. However I suppose when we have the lead we do in third place it may be a calculated gamble to try and win and risk losing.

7. Absolutely. I think we quite frequently fail to play the percentage final ball. An issue our opponents yesterday had as well.

Having saw the highlights, Goodwin is going to be in a bit of bother for that.

The warning given to SPL players by the police in July has clearly gone right over Goodwins head. Although, knowing the standard of policing in scotland, he'll get away with it scot free. Should have been a Red card and a police charge but, then there would not have been such a stunning goal!

Jim goodwin! the SPL's best C*** laugh.gifnotworthy.gifDavybhoyssmiley.gif

Just watched the hioghlights.........Thanks Yabba able to view then nae bother now...........

Don't know what to make of Jenning for the incedent with goodwin. First of all the tackle on Jennings was wreckless and the ref should have called it. Lucky for Jennings he got out of the way. But then it was very stupid of him to just totally hack the St Mirren player down. Then all credit to him for not crumpling up and play acting by rolling in agony when Goodwin punched him in the stomache. Have to say though that it would have been very hard for the on field officials to see that and hence no red card is understandable. However, I beleive there should be some action taken based on the video evidence.

We got out of jail free with the offside call when the ref was giving a penalty. I am not sure what the linesman saw but have to agree with lennon when he says it's not even close.

just based on the highlights looks we had some better chances than they did but they certainly had their fair share of efforts on goal.

All in all not a bad weekend, another game out of the way and only 1 out of 5 teams below us made ground on us and we play them next week. Just hope we can keep picking up the points and cross off those 5 challengers sooner rather than later.

So was the 'tackle' their player followed through with after Daley flicked the ball away not worthy of punishment? The ball is dead and he literally kicks our player in full view of an arsehole calling himself a ref :angry: Letter of the law he's off along with Goodwin, good job refs don't apply the law that often eh?

I thought the game was entertaining at times but was mostly awful ,big problem we have in the Scottish game at the moment is that when any match rises above mediocrity it becomes a great game. And as for the two managers to be raving about what a great game it was...... :dash2:

What do you want? If you want top notch football every week then watch la liga on the telly.

These are all teams in the Spl who can rustle up a fiver to sign a player - how do you expect them to play quality Fitbaw each week?

So was the 'tackle' their player followed through with after Daley flicked the ball away not worthy of punishment? The ball is dead and he literally kicks our player in full view of an arsehole calling himself a ref :angry: Letter of the law he's off along with Goodwin, good job refs don't apply the law that often eh?

In any case, Daley didn't kick the ball away. He never got a chance to move and the ball hit off him.

Still raging by the refs performance. Can't believe Thompson got away with two blatant handballs but remembered he did the same in the Cup Final when he let that baldy swedish c**t away with it. Thought it was a decent game nevertheless. Daley's fast becoming a favorite of mine and Murphy's run in the first half was a joy to watch. Shame neither Omar or Higgy could put it away.

I know what you're saying Kmcalpin but I don't agree that we 100% need to improve our home form in order to stay in 3rd. I think as long as we are doing what we are doing just now. I think we're averaging about 1.8 points a game (something like that) and whether we win at home or away as long as we stay round about that average we will walk 3rd place. If our home form was better we would be challenging for the title.

So aye let's improve our home form so we can get in to the champions league whistling.gif

Plus last season we were losing these games by the odd goal (St Mirren and Kille at home spring to mind) so every little helps as the say.

I don't think we can maintain our away form throughout the rest of the season though. We've been quite lucky thus far regarding suspensions & injuries, but that'll change at some point. The size of our squad will come into play eventually this season.

I just hope that when it does, we haven't thrown away too many home points against the likes of Kilmarnock & St Mirren.

Saying that, if we beat Hearts on Saturday I should be resting somewhat easier :thumbup:

In any case, Daley didn't kick the ball away. He never got a chance to move and the ball hit off him.

Actually he did flick the ball away Ricky but if one player is being punished by 'letter of the law' then I expect everyone to be dealt with the same. The guy Daly flicked the ball away from came through him and deliberately caught him, off the ball offence, red card. Letter of the law they'd be down to 9 men probably but then they'd probably have won :rolleyes:

I don't think we can maintain our away form throughout the rest of the season though. We've been quite lucky thus far regarding suspensions & injuries, but that'll change at some point. The size of our squad will come into play eventually this season.

Why not? I know everything isn't black and white but we have been very consistent this year. I know I have been saying it kinda tongue in cheeck but if you look at the first 11 fixtures and then look at our results in the second set of 11 so far we are only 1 point worse off than the first at this stage.

I just hope that when it does, we haven't thrown away too many home points against the likes of Kilmarnock & St Mirren.

I too would like us to be beating those teams at home but then we have been winning at Easter Road, Tannadice etc where I bet you personally would have been happy with a point at those grounds.

Saying that, if we beat Hearts on Saturday I should be resting somewhat easier :thumbup:

Me too but it won't be the end of the world if we lose either. Remember in 2007-2008 we finished with 60 points from 38 whick works out at approx 1.58 points per game. Currently we are just under 1.9 a game and if we stick to that we will finish on 71-72 points :O . Now it probably won't pan out that way but it shows you we have a margin of error in there. Don't fret I'll be buying you a pint in some foreign country in July/August. :drinks: