Ojamaa

CoF

Is anyone else a bit confused as to how this kid has even happened?

Yep. Utterly baffled by how things have panned out. Went along to Paisley with my dad, it was the first time he'd seen him, and he just couldn't comprehend that he was one of ours.

See in the highlights of the build up to the third goal against Hearts the commentator says he was lucky with the break of the ball, but see if you look at it closer I think he meant it. Absolutely Flawless!

I don't know whether he meant it or not but I was amazed when I heard that said. And he went on to repeat it as well in the re-run too!

He's just carried the ball from the half way line, weaved his way through about half a dozen challenges and been heavily involved in the set up of a fantastically well worked goal.

And the Beeb commentator chooses to highlight a possible break of the ball? Away to fuck!

I kind of half joked with the old man on Sunday that if you replaced Motherwell with Barcelona and Ojamaa with Messi you'ld be looking at goal of month candidate.

But there is a serious point in there somewhere that its entirely in keeping with the way Scottish football is covered that'll talk of a lucky break of the ball before gushing praise at a fantastic goal.

I don't know whether he meant it or not but I was amazed when I heard that said. And he went on to repeat it as well in the re-run too!

He's just carried the ball from the half way line, weaved his way through about half a dozen challenges and been heavily involved in the set up of a fantastically well worked goal.

And the Beeb commentator chooses to highlight a possible break of the ball? Away to fuck!

I kind of half joked with the old man on Sunday that if you replaced Motherwell with Barcelona and Ojamaa with Messi you'ld be looking at goal of month candidate.

But there is a serious point in there somewhere that its entirely in keeping with the way Scottish football is covered that'll talk of a lucky break of the ball before gushing praise at a fantastic goal.

If it had been McCourt, Forrest, Weisz (previously), or Davis say they'd have been spunking themselves rotten over a sublime run.

If a non-OF player does it - it's a wee bit jammy obviously!

• Like 3

Not sure if it's been mentoned here already, but Ojamaa won't join Estonian national team next week in a friendly against El Salvador so he can help Motherwell against Celtic and Dunfermline. Ojamaa will have a lot of chances to represent his country later this year. We have scheduled friendlies with Ukraine, Poland, Croatia and France, plus World Cup qualification matches against Turkey, Romania, Andorra and Hungary.

• Like 7

Things I learned today: "Ojamaa" is the Estonian word for Gotland, the largest island in the Baltic Sea, which belongs to Sweden. And of the Baltic states, it's actually closer to Latvia than Estonia.

http://et.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ojamaa

Literal translation of Ojamaa would be Streamland. Oja = stream, maa = land.

• Like 2

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/motherwell/298338-henrik-ojaama-couldnt-hit-a-barn-door-in-motherwell-trial/

Henrik Ojaama ‘couldn’t’ hit a barn door’ in Motherwell trial

Delighted Stuart McCall says other qualities persuaded him to sign the Estonian striker.

Motherwell manager Stuart McCall has said that forward Henrik Ojamaa showed none of the goal-scoring ability he possesses while on trial prior to signing for the Fir Park club.

Ojamaa signed a short-term deal with Motherwell in January and after making an explosive impact he was handed a two-year contract.

Though the Estonian has now notched up five goals in eight matches, McCall revealed that when the 20-year-old was first brought to his attention, an eye for goal was not obvious.

“His agent, who’s got Nicky Law and Shaun Hutchinson, mentioned he had a young lad who had come to the end of his contract,” McCall explained.

“We had a look at him on YouTube and we got him over for a trial.

“He couldn’t hit a barn door but he played really well. He had something that we didn’t have, someone who could run in behind, full of energy.

“We saw him on YouTube, got him over on trial twice and he still couldn’t score in his second trial game.

“He’s far exceeded expectations at this moment in time.”

The ‘Well boss said that the player had settled quickly and added that getting the right type of character to fit his squad was important.

“Sometimes players fit, as do managers,” he said. “Some clubs can just be right for you.

“Recruitment is a massive thing at any club, especially Motherwell where money’s tight.

“Great credit to Henrik for the money he came from originally. I did joke before that it was his bus fare but it was little more than that. In fairness to him, that showed the type of person he is and that’s the type of person we want here.

“He’s had a rise here because he’s on a two-year deal but we had to fend off people. If he just continues the way he’s doing we’ll be delighted.”

• Like 1

Not sure if it's been mentoned here already, but Ojamaa won't join Estonian national team next week in a friendly against El Salvador so he can help Motherwell against Celtic and Dunfermline. Ojamaa will have a lot of chances to represent his country later this year. We have scheduled friendlies with Ukraine, Poland, Croatia and France, plus World Cup qualification matches against Turkey, Romania, Andorra and Hungary.

Good to know. As you say he will have plenty opportunity to represent his country in competitive matches.

I made an account yesterday to say pretty much what eerik just did, but this section of the forums appeared to be bugged for me(showed error when logged on, worked when logged out again), so he beat me to it. I can also add to the context that Henrik is a rather well known name to average Estonian football fan, far more than one would expect from a player with so obscure career. Mostly it is because as teenager he archived a lot of media attention and was often labelled as the new big thing in Estonian football. But it didn't happen so quick so the hype slowed down and people were growing more sceptical. Now that he is doing well again, don't be suprised to see many Estonians jump back on the waggon and you see much increased traffic in these forums from there.

And about the name (yes it means StreamLand)...I'm not really trying to nag with this, but I'll just let you guys 'know' that the way English speaking countries pronounce his name has to be the worst pronunciation of any Estonian word I've ever heard anywhere :P

I literally couldn't understand his name was being said like first 5 times i heard it. I don't think there is a fix there tho and I'm quite sure Henrik himself has gotten used to it long ago in Derby.

• Like 2

Oh I would tell you if I would comprehend English pronunciation better. Plus I'm not even sure if it's that posseble for you guys to say it. Let's just say that if you would say "oh yea" (or even better "oh ya") very quickly and add "maa" to it, you would be a little closer to it.

Edited by hint

And about the name (yes it means StreamLand)...I'm not really trying to nag with this, but I'll just let you guys 'know' that the way English speaking countries pronounce his name has to be the worst pronunciation of any Estonian word I've ever heard anywhere :P

I literally couldn't understand his name was being said like first 5 times i heard it. I don't think there is a fix there tho and I'm quite sure Henrik himself has gotten used to it long ago in Derby.

Haa, John Gahagan was one of our longest serving players and his name still wasn't being pronounced properly when he left :rolleyes:

Oh I would tell you if I would comprehend English pronunciation better. Plus I'm not even sure if it's that posseble for you guys to say it. Let's just say that if you would say "oh yea" (or even better "oh ya") very quickly and add "maa" to it, you would be a little closer to it.

I sound like a pork link when i try to say that!