Ojamaa

CoF

How he escaped the three odd Hearts player around him to set up the third I'll never know. Also loved when he was stuck in the corner flag, two defenders on his back and he done a wee Cruyff turn and left the two Hearts boy's standing there confused before he was brought down. He actually got a standing ovation for it, just sublime. A joy to watch. :notworthy:

Is anyone else a bit confused as to how this kid has even happened?

I know what you mean, find it quite odd and possibly worrying that we were going to allow this laddie (who has kick-started our season) to leave after a trial, as we couldnt offer him a decent deal

a) why the fuck did we have him on trial in the 1st place, if there was no cash about

b) why did we tell the boy that we couldnt offer him anything, before managing to find his 'bus fare' money when he begged for a contract

c) McCall reckoned that when he did sign that he wasnt sure if he was ready for the 1st team

d) why was the boy scratching about for a contract in the 1st place

It shows there are gems out there, its just a matter of finding them.

Higdon is doing nothing different to what he was pre-Ojamaa, its just that he now has someone to work with closely.

I disagree. His confidence is up and he's linking up better with Ojamaa than he did with Murphy. Whatever way you slice it up, having Ojamaa next to him has improved his game.

I disagree. His confidence is up and he's linking up better with Ojamaa than he did with Murphy. Whatever way you slice it up, having Ojamaa next to him has improved his game.

Higdon is more effective with Ojamaa playing beside him, but that doesnt mean that Higdon is playing better. Pre-Ojamaa, he didnt have anyone within 20yards of him most of the time, that isnt Higdons fault. As for confidence, I think thats probably because he doesnt have the East Stand mutants on his case for 90minutes at the moment. Although I'm sure there would have been some desperate to scream at him for that cvnt of a miss on Saturday - luckily for him we were 3 up at that point.

I know what you mean, find it quite odd and possibly worrying that we were going to allow this laddie (who has kick-started our season) to leave after a trial, as we couldnt offer him a decent deal

a) why the fuck did we have him on trial in the 1st place, if there was no cash about

b) why did we tell the boy that we couldnt offer him anything, before managing to find his 'bus fare' money when he begged for a contract

c) McCall reckoned that when he did sign that he wasnt sure if he was ready for the 1st team

I think a lot of it might have been down to his previous experience. He basically played at a very low level (Finnish 2nd division I think) and it might have been the case that he was decent in training, but the management weren't convinced he could step up onto an SPL level.

Luck have it we got him on a short term and he ripped the SPL to shreads and now we have him for two years.

Its just a lucky story, but I do agree it is worrying we couldn't even afford to pay him a decent wage, but is that just the cold hard face of Scottish football?

Higdon is doing nothing different to what he was pre-Ojamaa, its just that he now has someone to work with closely.

Agree with that 100%. I've actually not seen much difference, if any, to Higdon's game - but suddenly Ojamaa's actually there to feed off the big man's play.

Thank fuck. Im fed up typing that.

The weird thing is, he plays like that and is scoring goals - gets absolute pelters.

Plays exactly the same way but the goals dry up - gets plaudits.

Higdon plays his role extremely well and has done all season...now he's got an actual strike partner who knows what they are supposed to do, we are reaping the rewards, but Higdon isn't doing anything he hasn't been doing up til now.

As an example off the top of my head go back and watch the highlights of our win at St Mirren Park at the start of the season, and watch Higdon's role in the goals we did score, and the chances we had where Samson was pulling top drawer saves out his arse.

Watch the Clyde game where although we won at a canter, there were plenty times where Higdon was winning the ball and playing it into acres of space that would have put someone through on the keeper....but no-one took the chance and made the run, they waited to see if he won the ball first. Ojaama just goes, takes a chance that Higdon will win it and 8/10 times he does...because he's very good at it.

Don't wait for the pass to dictate where/when you run, make the run anyway and if you're big striker is good, he'll get he ball to you. That's what's happening now and we have two front men who are individually good at what they should be doing, as opposed to just one of them.

• Like 4

I don't think there is anything worrying about it all for a club in our position. We had zero money in the budget, so took a guy on trial who said he was more interested in playing than getting a 'big' wage.

From what McCall said, he looked decent during his trials, but there were still some concerns - in particular, he didn't manage to score one goal in all his games. Also remember this guy had bounced around a few teams without making a breakthrough.

However, we could get him cheap, so we signed him on peanuts until the end of the season to see how he worked out. Once he got his chance in the first team and proved himself, the board made an exception and allowed McCall extra money to tie him up.

I would argue, therefore, we took a low risk approach that has paid dividends. Of course, every manager has stories about players that passed them by. I read this morning that Fergie missed out on Joe Hart for 100 grand.