Motherwell Vs Morton Discussion Thread

David

Quite looking forward to this, should be a good crowd (was there not about 9000 last time we played them) and it's my first cup game of the season.

Expect them to make it difficult for a while but we should see them off in the 2nd half, 2-0.Same team as last week except drop Oj back into Daley's position, stick him on the bench and Higdon up front with Murphy.

our record against lower league opposition over the past two seasons.

p 5. w. 5 for 16 against 0

we're as good against lower league teams as we are bad against the old firm.

Aye, but a First Division team put us out in January 2010. The risk is always there. Even for the Old Firm. I think we will win but I don't think it will be a more than two goal victory.

Expect them to make it difficult for a while but we should see them off in the 2nd half, 2-0.Same team as last week except drop Oj back into Daley's position, stick him on the bench and Higdon up front with Murphy.

I agree that Ojamma could easily play further back or outwide, but why would you move him back when he's in a rich vein of goal scoring form? We are Motherwell, we don't score that many goals at the best of times. If the wee mans got the confidence up then play him in the position thats going to lead to most chances.

Yer boy hasnt started any of the last4games.3wins, 1draw, coincidence??

No need to fuck with a winning team. Higdon back up top, murphy needs 2start after what went down yesterday.

Humphrey can do some stretches at the corner flag for the first 70minutes

But what you forget is he set up two goals and scored one himself, and goal assists in each of the last Two reserve games, less the last one as Forbes managed to miss from under the cross bar.

All that was done with only 30 mins on the pitch combined. I take it you dont watch the Reserve matches then?

He is worth a start again, and is playing better than Murphy and Daley presently.

Up untill your last four match statistic Motherwell had not won a game since dropping him, And the games above your talking about he ASSISTED IN TWO GOALS AND SCORED IN THE OTHER.

So he does deserve a start spot on his form, but i can agree dont tamper with a winning team, so dont put higdon in leave him on the bench, as last weekend worked against a better team , slip Higdon back in and the long ball will follow. Humphrey and OJ will work better than Murphy and OJ. thats my opinion.

But what you forget is he set up two goals and scored one himself, and goal assists in each of the last Two reserve games, less the last one as Forbes managed to miss from under the cross bar.

All that was done with only 30 mins on the pitch combined. I take it you dont watch the Reserve matches then?

He is worth a start again, and is playing better than Murphy and Daley presently.

Up untill your last four match statistic Motherwell had not won a game since dropping him, And the games above your talking about he ASSISTED IN TWO GOALS AND SCORED IN THE OTHER.

So he does deserve a start spot on his form, but i can agree dont tamper with a winning team, so dont put higdon in leave him on the bench, as last weekend worked against a better team , slip Higdon back in and the long ball will follow. Humphrey and OJ will work better than Murphy and OJ. thats my opinion.

Morton fans on P&B bemoaning the fact that their back four are very slow and cumbersome and are shittin themselves at the pace we have in our team :evilgrin:

• Like 1

On paper of course we should win this. We're the SPL side, they're the first division side. Not only that but we're currently the third placed SPL side whilst Morton are mid table in the first so we're favourites and rightly so.

But the same could have been said before Ayr Utd in 2000, Inverness 2004, Dundee 2008 or Alloa or Forfar in the League Cup. History tells us that games like this tend to trip Motherwell, especially when there's a bigger expetant crowd there to see it as you'd expect their to be on Saturday. Morton are more than capable of beating us on Saturday and I just feel that our poor home form and performances of late, apart from the wins against Dunfermline & Saints will come back to haunt us again.

In the context of the Morton game that's a reasonable if somewhat negative cautionary note against complacency going into the game. One if I were Stuart McCall I'd definetely highlight the potential for danger and pointing out some of the pitfalls that can be expected if the attitude isn't as it should be.

But seeing as most weeks you generally manage to concoct an argument that impending doom is but ninety minutes away I'm afraid it just looks like you're crying wolf yet again.

It's a potentially tricky one no doubt but, I'd rather have a First Division team at home and have to deal with the "pressure" of being favourites then be going to Ibrox or Parkhead as an underdog.

I'm confident if we're up for it we've got more than enough about us to get the job done. If Morton fans are bemoaning a lack of pace in their rearguard then all the better, we've a fair bit of pace and creativity that can be unleashed on a cumbersome and backline.

Motherwell by a couple for me.

Aye, but a First Division team put us out in January 2010. The risk is always there. Even for the Old Firm. I think we will win but I don't think it will be a more than two goal victory.

that game was on a monday night when it was minus 10 after we had played on the saturday and inverness hadn't.

we were at a serious disadvantage that night.

No we weren't. It was minus ten for ICT as well. IIRC that was their first match in a while so they could have turned up rusty. They didn't, we did. Best team won. Simple as that.

playing a game in inverness 50 hours after finishing a game in killie when the other team are rested is a clear disadvantage.

the cold is going to effect the team who still have the previous game in their legs more than the team who are fresh.

playing a game in inverness 50 hours after finishing a game in killie when the other team are rested is a clear disadvantage.

the cold is going to effect the team who still have the previous game in their legs more than the team who are fresh.

Aye, like no team has competed in and won two games in 48 hours before. If we had won that night ICT and their fans could have trotted out excuses about not having played a game for a while, lack of match sharpness and so on. Excuses. Sometimes one team just plays better than the other.

We certainly didn't have any problems in our Monday night game against Inverurie.

Says the poster with alex salmond in his avatar :lol:

Aye, nae bother pal. :lol:

Anyway, 2-0 win for 'Well on Saturday. I don't subscribe to this pish that because it's the cup suddenly there's a good chance we're going to lose to poorer opposition. Law and Ojamaa (obviously) on the scoresheet.