Motherwell Vs Morton Discussion Thread

David

Obviously not up against much today, but Tim Clancy is a very good footballing centre half. I really like his pairing with Hutch.

Yeh i think he and hutch are solid at the back and shouldn't be rotated once craigan is back. Don't think craigan should walk straight back into the team just because he's the captain, Clancy is much more assured.

• Like 3

Yeh i think he and hutch are solid at the back and shouldn't be rotated once craigan is back. Don't think craigan should walk straight back into the team just because he's the captain, Clancy is much more assured.

Are you for real?? Yes a great back four today, but craigan is magnificent across the piece. Personal issues out the way, the big man will be back in the frame.

The Captain will be back!!!

• Like 1

Are you for real?? Yes a great back four today, but craigan is magnificent across the piece. Personal issues out the way, the big man will be back in the frame.

The Captain will be back!!!

Every time he gets the ball, I shite myself. Clancy is a much better player, Craigan always looks so awkward on the ball.

Clancy gives us much more options building from the back, he can weight a pass with either foot, his awareness of what's going on around him is good and he's extremely comfortable with taking the ball under pressure and is decent with it at his feet.

I thought we'd win but never did I think that we'd win so easily.

Not that I see much of Morton but looking through their squad there's several capable offering much more in an attacking sense than playing negatively - at First Division level at least. So I couldn't really see this park the bus stuff coming naturally to some of them and wonder if that change of philosophy had them beaten before they even set foot on the park. I mean some of their defending was real rabbit caught in the headlights stuff.

But that's not to detract in any way from what was a fantastic display from MFC. Morton were completely and totally destroyed in that first half. Not only in terms of the margin of the lead at half-time but by the way they chasing shadows as we swept possession from side to side before carving them open.

Would have been nice to have made it even more emphatic than it was in the second half but that also brought its rewards with an assured outing from Carswell and the continuation of the positive impact Hump has been making in recent weeks.

The Craigan/Clancy dilemma was also the topic of conversation on our way home. I tend to see it as a win-win situation whoever gets the nod next week. We all know what Craigan brings to the table, Clancy also in the shorter term but arguably less so over an extended period in a single position.

But what has been important is the fact that that's been just short of three games that have been won without Craggs influence. I might have been much more concerned about our ability to do that without him in the past. Ofcourse much of that has been down to the attacking verve that we've recently unleashed but looking over those three games you are talking three goals conceded, two of which were pretty sensational strikes and the other a penalty that should never have been.

Perhaps that should be a debate for the St Mirren thread or maybe it merits one of its own but getting back on topic what a pleasure to sit and wait for the highlights coming on knowing you are going to be watching a 6-0 'Well win!!

The first half today reminded me of the Scottish Cup game many years ago against Clyde where we won 7-0 with 7 different scorers. Can't mind the scorers that day, but I was standing at the terracing, pre-Davie Cooper stand, that day.

No doubt some of the resident Steelmen Online Robocops on here will be able to dial into their encyclopedic memory banks and remind us.

I'm a big Craigan fan, but I think it might be worth sticking with Clancy and Hutchinson for a bit. We have to think about life after Craigan at some point, he is 35 and won't be playing forever.

This.

I think Craigan still has a lot to offer us and is a great player to have around both on and off the pitch. However, you're entirely correct: he won't keep going forever and we do need to plan ahead. I wasn't convinced by Clancy to begin with but the more I've seen him playing at centre half, he looks like a decent acquisition and potentially a long term successor to Craigan. Definitely worth giving him a run in the team to see what he can do.

• Like 1

I can't recall the last time I saw us score directly from a corner - can anyone else?

I have some vague recollection of Davie Cooper having a few goes in one match and finally getting one in on the third or fourth attempt. North terrace end. But maybe some got a touch on it - perhaps a Stevie Kirk special from a quarter of a yard out!