Motherwell Vs Rangers Discussion Thread

Ianc

I thought Las was really unlucky withy the booking. It looked like the Rangers player cleared it, fell and Las fell over him. Also, and slightly controversial, I thought big Darren could have done better for Whittaker's goal. He initially went to his left and when the ball moved he couldn't get back. It probably looks worse than it was but I thought he could have made an effort. I know he has been outstanding this season and has saved us many points, just making an observation on that goal.

• Like 1

How the fuck is he still taking money from being a linesman? Was he the lino down at Killie last week btw, if not it was someone who looked like him.

Must have photos of someone. Completely hopeless and clearly favours his favourite team........

Although im gutted about losing the game, i thought the overall performance was good yesterday, and at no time during the match did i think we were going to get humped, which is unusual against the OF, From the start i thought we looked good on the ball, and played some good stuff when in possesion.

If we take out the few slack passes from the back from Hammy and Clancy, our back line looked better than the previous week.

Law was quite yesterday, apart from his one two on the edge of the box producing a good strike on goal, most of the rest played really well, OJ, although not fantastic still produced much more than any player could of from the bench, he is the only played in the Motherwell team who uses the old step overs, and the odd trick, so entertainment factor he gets my shout everyweek, Higdon looked a little clumsy at the start, not being able to hold the ball up, but gradually got better throughout the game, and won 70% of the flick ons.

Lasley Jennings, great through the middle, and showed some real grit throughout the match, and Lasley was unlucky to be shown a card for his troubles.

And lastly Humphrey, looked a threat throughout the whole match, but seemed to be underused in the second half, Clancy seemed to be spraying his passes if not into touch down Laws side of the pitch, and as mentioned before Law was not really his self yesterday.

Most of the team deserve credit for the display, and i for one was proud of the team.

Man of the match was a close call from Jennings and Humphrey, but Humphrey gets the nod as he ran his heart out from the first minute untill the last, and produced some great runs, and forced Rangers to change there formation within 10 minutes of the start,

Well done overall, but unlucky ending!

Canny complain about yesterday.

As Lee McCulloch said post-match, they didny have a clue what to do when they first went into administration but now they're back to simply playing football. We didn't play the 'Rangers in crisis' team yesterday, we played a full strength and fully motivated team. The fact is, we didn't take advantage of set pieces and Higdon and Ojamaa weren't quite on the same wavelength. Even at that, we'd have taken 3 points from any other team in the league (bar Celtic) yesterday.

Thought we took a bold decision in the second half by leaving 3 high up the park when they were attacking so any accusation of McCall not going for the jugular is pish.

Also, dangling a bigger carrot in front of the donkey won't make it run faster if it's already going full pelt. We've been playing out our skin since the start of the season and the chance of 2nd place or Champions League isn't going to improve the players ability one bit. We've got what we've got, and it's pretty damn good all things considered.

• Like 1

Gutted at the defeat yesterday and thought we deserved at least a point, although we we're undoubtedly lucky not to concede a pen and on another day Clancy could have been sent off for needlessly sticking the head into Whittaker's chest.

Brines had another nightmare IMO. Lasley's booking was laughable as has been mentioned and after being ridiculously over officious at our corners he lets Aluko away with the most blatant push in Clancy's back you will ever see, and it happened right in front of him!

The game against Hibs next week is massive.

Gutted we lost that one yesterday particularly to defensive errors, Their first goal was a belter but how many times have we seen a poorly cleared ball to the edge of the box and opposition players with space and time to pick a shot?

And then allowing a long throw to bounce twice in the box is just asking for trouble.

Thought it was a decent performance yesterday. Not the prettiest at times but after last week, much more competitive. If we can take that level of performance into the last 6 games we will do okay.

And lastly Humphrey, looked a threat throughout the whole match, but seemed to be underused in the second half, Clancy seemed to be spraying his passes if not into touch down Laws side of the pitch, and as mentioned before Law was not really his self yesterday.

At the start Humphrey was getting a lot of change down the right wing but they reshuffled their defenders so that he was up against Wallace rather than Perry and that changed it. I think we'd seen Perry as the weakness and when he switched we changed the focus of our attack as Humprhey was being marked much more tightly. I might have been tempted to give the Hump ten minutes on the left to see if we could have forced another error out of him.

• Like 1

Aye McGregor seemed to be moving his hands about telling someone what appeared to be about movement, Brines then started doing some sort of hand movements back to McGregor as if he was doing a little dance type of thing. Thought it was funny as fuck aswell!!! :laugh:

Did anyone else see Brines do the hand jive directed at McGregor in the 2nd half just after we had won a corner ? Funny as fuck !

I noticed it as well from the back of the cooper, he had us in f**king stiches laugh1.giflaugh1.gifSURE SOMEONE WAS PLAYING MUSIC IN HIS EAR PIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thought game yesterday was ok, plenty of end to end stuff and played at a good pace. Thought Humphrey had his best game for a while and it was good to see him backtracking into defence when required and pushing their forwards away from goal, nice to see him adding some more team play to his work. We were fortunate at Aluko penalty incident, although in saying that, Aluko kicked the ball to far in front of him and even when Randolph connected with his shin, he went down too easily. He knew he had overcooked it and was looking for the penalty. For their winner, Clancy was pushed akin to what happened at the Aberdeen cup game and I'm sure if it was Higdon that pushed Whittaker before Ojamma struck an 89th minute winner, the Ref would have whistled for a foul. But overall, we played some good football and if we can bring that to the next Hibs, United, Hearts and St J games, we should be sorted.

Thought game yesterday was ok, plenty of end to end stuff and played at a good pace. Thought Humphrey had his best game for a while and it was good to see him backtracking into defence when required and pushing their forwards away from goal, nice to see him adding some more team play to his work. We were fortunate at Aluko penalty incident, although in saying that, Aluko kicked the ball to far in front of him and even when Randolph connected with his shin, he went down too easily. He knew he had overcooked it and was looking for the penalty. For their winner, Clancy was pushed akin to what happened at the Aberdeen cup game and I'm sure if it was Higdon that pushed Whittaker before Ojamma struck an 89th minute winner, the Ref would have whistled for a foul. But overall, we played some good football and if we can bring that to the next Hibs, United, Hearts and St J games, we should be sorted.

the Aluko incident was neither a pen,nor a card. After tv replays it was a pen as there was contact from Randy,however the ref could never have seen that and therefore could never make the decision. Their 2nd was not a foul either, Aluko held an arm up but did not push, Clancy just made a rip roaring c**t of judging the balls flight. And I suspect that had it happened the other way and we were penalised,thered have been a riot by our fans.

Time for McCall + the players to earn their corn now, McCall made a c**t of the end of last season and turned a potential great season into an average one, my fear is that if we dont win next sunday the same thing will happen this season.

If we fail to win next week we will have spunked 9 points of an 11 point lead on 2 TEAMS! We will then go into the split on a downer with a tiny,tiring squad who are suffering 2-3 suspensions a week at the moment, whereas our challengers are on fire,winning every game and looking dangerous doing it. I have a bad feeling United will catch us and take the Champ Lge spot,I just cant see us stopping Russell + Daly the form they are in,and Mackay-Steven will rip Hateley apart. If we fail to win next week,I reckon Saints will overtake us as well. Nevertheless iIl be at Easter Road sunday hoping for the best.

Nobody has mentioned it so far , im sure Brines pointed to the spot after Aluko was brought down then changed his mind ?

Yep, it looked to me (sitting in the Cooper) that Brines had pointed to the spot as well then changed his mind (maybe after a word in his ear from the east stand linesman?). You could quite clearly hear the contact between Randolph's boot and Aluko's shin guard. It was an absolute stonewall penalty but Aluko did make a meal of it. In saying that, what goes around comes around, after Aluko's pathetic dive against Dunfermline which got them a penalty earlier in the season.

DARREN RANDOLPH last night vouched for Sone Aluko’s innocence in the latest dive storm – and confessed he DID foul the Rangers winger.

Aluko was booked for simulation by ref Iain Brines after a clash with Motherwell No.1 Randolph during Gers’ 2-1 weekend win at Fir Park.

Having already copped a two-match ban for diving against Dunfermline this season, Aluko risked being dragged back into the SFA dock.

But Randolph last night cleared Aluko’s name by revealing he caught the Ibrox ace in the first-half incident.

The keeper was even expecting a red card as Brines ran towards him and was shocked when the yellow was produced for his victim.

Randolph said: “People on the sidelines heard me kick his shinpad so I don’t know how the ref missed it.

“Everyone saw it and I was sat on the floor waiting for my marching orders so I don’t know why the referee didn’t give it.

“I definitely made contact. I missed the ball and got him but the ref booked him instead so I wasn’t going to complain.

“Sone said something to me but I told him it wasn’t my problem as I don’t give the red cards or

penalties.

“He kind of shrugged me off so I left him to it. I put an arm over his shoulder and he threw it back in my face. I just said to him, ‘What do you want me to do?’”

Aluko’s past reputation may have haunted him and Randolph added: “If people feel he goes down too easily, and I am not saying he does, then that can definitely play a part in situations.”

It appears a clear case of injustice but there is no mechanism in place for the SFA to rescind the yellow card and Randolph insists it’s just part of the game.

He said: “The referee has seen the situation and made his

decision. If you go back and start taking away yellow cards then everyone has an argument.

“You would have people complaining and moaning every week. It’s just football. Talking points happen every week.”

Randolph, however, reckons Aluko had the last laugh when Brines failed to spot his nudge on Tim Clancy in the lead-up to Lee McCulloch’s last-gasp winner.

He said: “It was happening all game, McCulloch was doing the same. I was waiting for the whistle to give a free-kick to us but obviously it never came and then they scored.”

“He kind of shrugged me off so I left him to it. I put an arm over his shoulder and he threw it back in my face. I just said to him, ‘What do you want me to do?’”

To be honest, if Randy knows he's made contact, he should just have kept his mouth shut rather than say things like that to Aluko, let alone repeat them to a reporter, because now it's him who sounds like the one who's guilty of unsporting behavior. (And yes, I know most of you won't give a toss :) )

Thing is there's making contact then there's making en ough contact to bring a player down. Randolph's contact wasn't enough to take his leg away from him cos he took another step, saw the ball heading for a bye kick and went down deliberately. The silly c**t didn't even know where Randolph caught him cos he was complaining to the officials at half time pointing to his left thigh when it was his right shin Randolph hit. Not every little bit of contact is worthy of a foul and that wasn't, he made the most of it so he's still a cheat in my eyes.

• Like 1

I thought Las was really unlucky withy the booking. It looked like the Rangers player cleared it, fell and Las fell over him. Also, and slightly controversial, I thought big Darren could have done better for Whittaker's goal. He initially went to his left and when the ball moved he couldn't get back. It probably looks worse than it was but I thought he could have made an effort. I know he has been outstanding this season and has saved us many points, just making an observation on that goal.

My view at the time was that Lasley was lucky not to have been booked before then and could have little or no complaints for a persistent fouling yellow card. Not sure if that was what would have gone in the match report of course.

My view at the time was that Lasley was lucky not to have been booked before then and could have little or no complaints for a persistent fouling yellow card. Not sure if that was what would have gone in the match report of course.

If he got booked for persistent fouling that would have been fair enough but the incident he got a booking for wasn't even a foul never mind a yellow card. Bartley fell into Lasley!

Can't really add too much to what's already been said. I agree with Shaka that I thought the Aluko incident was neither a penalty nor a dive. I think Iain Brines was guilty of lazy refereeing, thinking Lasley has been in the book a lot recently and Aluko has been done for diving previously, so I'll make the decisions based on that. He made bad decisions either way, but I did notice he appeared to change his mind about two corners without consulting the linesmen which I found bizarre.

One criticism I'd have of us on Sunday was the shape in the first half. I don't know if this was upon McCall's instruction, but Law seemed to play most of the first half between Lasley and Jennings, whilst Humphrey played wide right with two centre forwards. I don't know what we were trying to achieve there, especially considering Whittaker scored a goal from an area where you would expect the left midfielder to shut him down.