Motherwell Vs Rangers Discussion Thread

Ianc

Thought we played decent to be honest& deserved at least a draw. Think theres a bit of an over reaction on this board to what was a narrow last minute defeat to a good team.

All those moaning that everyone else has beat the h**s needs to start playing attention to scottish football. The h**s have had major injuries in the last few months as well as their off field problems. That team that beat us todat was their big team, all back& fit. The same team with the exception of jelavic that romped to a 15point lead in the league.

I dont think we did too much wrong today& i certainly feel better about that result that when they hump us 5,6,7-0!

This.

Other teams may well have taken more points from the old firm than we have. We've taken more points from the other diddys.

That's why we are 5 points clear in third at the moment. I'll take that over a token win against the bigot brothers any day.

This.

Other teams may well have taken more points from the old firm than we have. We've taken more points from the other diddys.

That's why we are 5 points clear in third at the moment. I'll take that over a token win against the bigot brothers any day.

Perhaps a more pessimistic way to look at it is taking the 'League without the Old Firm' into account:

Motherwell 26 played, 54 points

Dundee United 26 player, 46 points

St Johnstone 25 played, 42 points.

Whilst you can accept that we have the best results outwith games with the old firm, that doesn't mean these games don't count - and if we don't finish third it will effectively be because we can't take any points off them where others can.

This has been the worst season against the OF in quite a while. We usually sneak a couple of draws but losing all six has been a sore one.

What was our record against the OF when we finished 3rd under McGhee. I know we beat Celtic at Fir Park but I think we might have got two 1-1 draws with Rangers at Fir Park.

2 wins and a draw from the last six should be enough.

Couple of things for the SPL to take note of. Loud pourings of bigoted chants coming from the Rangers fans, and the flares going off duing the second half. These probably won't have been noticed of course, just like there were only SEVEN (I think it was) arrests last week for such chants at an Old Firm game.

Perhaps a more pessimistic way to look at it is taking the 'League without the Old Firm' into account:

Motherwell 26 played, 54 points

Dundee United 26 player, 46 points

St Johnstone 25 played, 42 points.

Whilst you can accept that we have the best results outwith games with the old firm, that doesn't mean these games don't count - and if we don't finish third it will effectively be because we can't take any points off them where others can.

Swings and round-a-bouts.

We've taken maximum points off Aberdeen this season. Dundee Utd and St. Johnstone are both yet to record a win against them.

The league without Aberdeen would be:

Dundee Utd P 30, Point 49

St. Johnstone P 28, Points 47

Motherwell P 29, Points 45

Games against Aberdeen count just as much as ones Vs the Old Firm.

Swings and round-a-bouts.

We've taken maximum points off Aberdeen this season. Dundee Utd and St. Johnstone are both yet to record a win against them.

The league without Aberdeen would be:

Dundee Utd P 30, Point 49

St. Johnstone P 28, Points 47

Motherwell P 29, Points 45

Games against Aberdeen count just as much as ones Vs the Old Firm.

Good point, and gives me hope since United are away to Aberdeen on Saturday. Suppose it's just frustrating when most would consider that games against rangers and celtic are ones where you need to raise your game, get a bit of luck, hope they have an off day etc. The rest of the teams in the SPL are relatively evenly matched with regards to wage budgets, fan bases and recent success compared to the two from Glasgow and you can single out any 'bogie' teams for any club - however any points picked up against them throughout the season are probably considered by any other team as 'bonus points'. We are the only team outwith the bottom three who have failed to pick up any of these bonus points so far this season in 6 attempts.

This has been the worst season against the OF in quite a while. We usually sneak a couple of draws but losing all six has been a sore one.

What was our record against the OF when we finished 3rd under McGhee. I know we beat Celtic at Fir Park but I think we might have got two 1-1 draws with Rangers at Fir Park.

2 wins and a draw from the last six should be enough.

We're still due another shot at them. :evilgrin:

How the fuck is he still taking money from being a linesman? Was he the lino down at Killie last week btw, if not it was someone who looked like him.

Aye he was i think, he's a wee wank, why the fuck wasn't some sort of action taken after the ross forbes incident. I can understand refs and linesmen making mistakes but he was about 5 yards on sidelaugh1.gif

Yes he was down at Killie last week. The winless run would also be shorter if Jim O'Brien hadn't missed a last minute penalty as well!

As for the points left to hit at, if we get another six points that would mean United or St Johnstone would have to get 11 to finish above us. Given they both play both the Old Firm, each other and us if they do that you are enclined to say well done. If we were to get our six with a win next week and draws against United, Hearts and St Johnstone after the split that just wastes a game for them. My hunch is if we don't lose to St J or United unless we collapse completely we'll be fine.

Wrong from all at MFC today... Surely this was the match for the directors to announce the Well Society is a goer... while the opponents are verging on liquidation.

Yes, I couldn't understand this either. The club will have known before 12.00 whether the £250k has been reached....I hear that it has. It was the perfect time to announce it.

The only reason I can think of is that the Police banned any such announcement for fear of upsetting certain elements in the crowd or the club didn't want to rub it in. Unless the amount raised before KO was right on the line it just doesn't make sense.

The winless run would also be shorter if Jim O'Brien hadn't missed a last minute penalty as well!

Still annoys me to this day. Couldn't believe it when he picked up the ball. I always thought he hit it so he would be a hero with his mates for sinking Rangers rather than being the most capable and confident penalty taker in the team.

A fantastic opportunity considering there was only 5 mins left and Davie Weir got sent off.

The only reason I can think of is that the Police banned any such announcement fo fear of upsetting certain elements in the crowd or the club didn't want to rub it in. Unless the amount raised before KO was right on the line it just doesn't make sense.

My guess would be there's some paperwork to submit before they can make it official, which, since the deadline was a Saturday, can't be done until Monday. But who knows.

My guess would be there's some paperwork to submit before they can make it official, which, since the deadline was a Saturday, can't be done until Monday. But who knows.

Possible but the club announced over the tannoy that the announcement would be made tomorrow (Sunday).

Looking forward to this announcement tomorrow. I only signed up on Wednesday and whilst the dirty bastards took 3 points off us today they are facing the removal of trophies, liquidation, charges, reforming, begging for a league etc while we make an announcement that our future is being safeguarded by the people who care most about the club. Fuck them and all they stand for - and 'mon the 'Well!

Good point, and gives me hope since United are away to Aberdeen on Saturday. Suppose it's just frustrating when most would consider that games against rangers and celtic are ones where you need to raise your game, get a bit of luck, hope they have an off day etc. The rest of the teams in the SPL are relatively evenly matched with regards to wage budgets, fan bases and recent success compared to the two from Glasgow and you can single out any 'bogie' teams for any club - however any points picked up against them throughout the season are probably considered by any other team as 'bonus points'. We are the only team outwith the bottom three who have failed to pick up any of these bonus points so far this season in 6 attempts.

Not so sure about that. I actually write them off as zero points! but as pointed out earlier it doesn't matter if it points from OF or points from any other team what counts is the total points at the end of the season

Not so sure about that. I actually write them off as zero points! but as pointed out earlier it doesn't matter if it points from OF or points from any other team what counts is the total points at the end of the season

As do I - but if you want to take anything from them I would say that most recognise, given the money spent on players and their salaries, that most of your team need to be having a particularly good game and, as I said you need a bit of luck here and there, to get any points.

I don't mind writing off games against both of them at the beginning and the end of the season, and I actually have a mindset at the beginning of the season that we are practically ~24 points disadvantaged, but whilst other clubs will wish they had our record vs. every other team in the league, we, as the 3rd place team in the SPL, should be thinking that we should take about, or at least, the same as other teams around us from games vs. the old firm. St Johnstone have taken 7 'bonus' points (as I stated in previous post) from games against them this season and if we are the 'best of the rest' I don't see why we can't take a single point from them, other than pointing fingers, which I don't think is appropriate given our good season.

when we have taken points off of the OF, how much better have we done?? probably not much, if at all, because we would then drop points against the lower teams like accies or some other struggling team.

i think we have ironed out the highs and lows of a season so that the "avergage" performance is much more consistant or predictable. We don't get anythign from the OF but also, we don't give much away to the lower teams. Not much point in getting points from the OF if you give them up to lower opposition.

e.g. Look at Kilmarnock! how many points do they have from the OF and how many points are they behind us??

Focus on here seems to be on the negative aspects of that, in as much as we have zero points from the OF. But with respect to the lower teams we are doing much better. Hence, our total points is way better than anyone would have predicted at the start of the season.

Credit where credit's due. The lads are 5 points clear in third place with only 1 game to go before the split.

Could it have been better?? Yes! Could it have been worse? Oh F..ck YES!!! So enjoy it and look forward to the last 5 games and look out those passports.