Old Firm Fans In The Main Stand...

David

I can remember when there was less than a dozen of us on the terraces, surrounded by over 25,000 bigots ........ then the fence went up and things got slightly better, our numbers topped the 100 mark, (who can forget being 2-0 up in the mid 70's, only for several thousand maniacs in royal blue to invade the pitch, and when the game was restared we conceeded 5 !!! )

I remember being at that game as a 10 year old. After we went 2 up the knuckle draggers started throwing beer bottles but they were so pished they were hitting all the kids down the front. Remember my dad picking me up and carrying me across the pitch to the enclosure where we watched the rest of the game.

Think this was the first time I realised I hated Rangers!

Not strictly relating to Old Firm fans in the Main Stand but perhaps there is more to consider when it comes to these games to try to encourage a better turnout - thereby lessening the amount of the ground we need to fret about handing over to them.

Does it put people off that the prices go up for Old Firm games? Do people just leave it knowing they have to come up and by a ticket when they are used to rolling up at five to three for a PATG fixture? Do people leave it for fear of what they might be walking into as soon as they step outside FP?

Not withstanding the dire results on the park these are a couple of reasons we've seen put forward why our turnouts have been poor on occasion.

Taking the prices and the fact you have to buy a ticket first. SPL regulations mean we can't offer reduced prices on comparable stands on a standard ticket for the game. But do we have scope to be a bit more innovative whereby we can offer non ST holders a package something similar to how the OF sell Europa/CL packages? - Whereby you opt in at the start of the season to have tickets sent to you for any all-ticket game at Fir Park, you are duly debited for that ticket, but for your committment you get your OF tickets at the regular (non-OF rate). The club would have to weigh up whether the loss of £2 or £3 per advertised ticket price might be worth the hit if it encourages more sales at £18 or whatever the price is than normal. This would also save punters a trip to Fir Park to buy tickets for these games and the fact there might well be difference in price paid between home and away fans in the Min Stand would be more likely to slip under the radar of the OF sympathising media.

I gather that these days the Cooper suite is made available for 'Well fans at every home fixture, OF games included both before and after games. If the post-match return to the car or bus is a worry, lets make the fact this facility is available post-match much more well known to fans so they can retreat there if they so wish until the crowds clear. Do some specials on the pricing, food on the menu, rerun of the game etc. to try attract people in there if they feel intimidated leaving directly after the game and at the same time hopefully generate some revenue.

There might not be a lot we can do about the results but I think there is a bit scope still for making coming to OF games a bit more attractive for Well fans who might generally stay away.

................................................ I gather that these days the Cooper suite is made available for 'Well fans at every home fixture, OF games included both before and after games. If the post-match return to the car or bus is a worry, lets make the fact this facility is available post-match much more well known to fans so they can retreat there if they so wish until the crowds clear. Do some specials on the pricing, food on the menu, rerun of the game etc. to try attract people in there if they feel intimidated leaving directly after the game and at the same time hopefully generate some revenue.

There might not be a lot we can do about the results but I think there is a bit scope still for making coming to OF games a bit more attractive for Well fans who might generally stay away.

In 2012 It shouldn't come to this ..................... but sounds like a decent proposal.

Plus, the Cops used to block off Knowetop Ave at Dalzell Drive. Why not do this again, stop the vermin coming down from the South Stand ?

The big problem with segregating fans is that you can no longer go to a game with an mate who supports the other team. As the majority of West of Scotland fans support a team based on reglious background this means that your mate is probably either a "h*n" or a "Tim" BUT in the most part a good football supporter.

Can I suggest that at all games, not just Old Firm Matches, that the wings of the POD stand are given over to 'Well fans plus a mate for whom they are responsible.

The outcome should maximise the reveneue and at the same time move us toward a more tolerant atmosphere at the ground whilest leaving the "numpties" segregated in the three other stands.

• Like 1

Killie fans sell out .................or make the club £100,000 ??????

"Kilmarnock fans back plans to accommodate Celtic supporters

Kilmarnock season ticket holders have voted to give up their seats to allow Celtic supporters to occupy three out of four stands in next Saturday's match between the clubs.

Neil Lennon's side could potentially clinch the Scottish Premier League title at Rugby Park.

A 93% majority of Kilmarnock's East Stand patrons were in favour of being accommodated in one stand.

Celtic are likely to respond after Sunday's match against St Johnstone"

• 3 weeks later...

Taking todays result & performance out of the equation, I feel that this issue has to be addressed.

First of all, is there any rule that stipulates that spectators must be seated? Surely there can't be, as the entire south stand was on its feet for the full 90 minutes (not to mention that fucking huddle thing they do where they all face away from the park and jump around like mentalists)?

When you find yourself leaving the stadium 10-15 minutes early simply so that you can avoid the vast number of cretins who'll be swarming all around Fir Park after the match you start to question why you even bother showing up.

Until the time comes that our club look past the cash that they can make from basically giving these fuckers an extra home game I doubt I'll be back at Fir Park to see us play either Celtic or Rangers.

Taking todays result & performance out of the equation, I feel that this issue has to be addressed.

First of all, is there any rule that stipulates that spectators must be seated? Surely there can't be, as the entire south stand was on its feet for the full 90 minutes (not to mention that fucking huddle thing they do where they all face away from the park and jump around like mentalists)?

When you find yourself leaving the stadium 10-15 minutes early simply so that you can avoid the vast number of cretins who'll be swarming all around Fir Park after the match you start to question why you even bother showing up.

Until the time comes that our club look past the cash that they can make from basically giving these fuckers an extra home game I doubt I'll be back at Fir Park to see us play either Celtic or Rangers.

To be fair it looked like there were about 200 well fans in the O'Donnell anyway, so it'd be daft to leave the seats empty.

To be fair it looked like there were about 200 well fans in the O'Donnell anyway, so it'd be daft to leave the seats empty.

Perhaps going out their way to try and draw home fans into the stadium for these games may be a better answer?

As for the O'Donnell stand being empty, knowing that the club had handed a chunk of it over to that lot I wouldn't have taken a ticket for the stand if you'd given me it for free. Maybe some others are thinking the same?

It's bad enough listening to their bile from a distance. I can only imagine having them right next to you.

Aye your right who needs to list to those bile merchants and look at them standing up and pointing at our support in our main stand .Do that at scumhead and your out on yer arse no questions asked and was there any police in the stand ? Keep them up the other end away from us

what are worried about happening outside at full time?

I was in the POD Stand today and I have to say it was better than the last time they visited. At least, as far as I could see, they at least stayed to 'their' sections of the POD Stand.

Others might report differently......but I hope not.

I was in the POD Stand today and I have to say it was better than the last time they visited. At least, as far as I could see, they at least stayed to 'their' sections of the POD Stand.

Others might report differently......but I hope not.

Was right beside them , making it the family section seemed to have helped although it appeared that a few had pulled a stroke on that front.

Never seen any police which doesnt seem to me a good idea , them being in party mood wouldve helped and mightve been a major factor as the wee ginger laddie down in front of me who gave them an earful of what they are mightve recieved a slap on another day if they were losing.

Well said Ginger if you're reading

• Like 1

We cannot sell enough seats in East or Cooper, so why have POD with empty seats also.??

Take their gold and put up with them for 90 mins.....it's not difficult.

In my opinion we'll continue to have problems selling seats when either of them come to visit. A lot of people simply don't see the point when they can sit in their own home and watch the game on TV.

Today for example, I saw three or four grown adult men in Celtic colours pissing in the street next to the police station with no regard for the fact that there are people with kids walking past. We also had the pleasure of a few of them hammering on our bus window when we were stuck in traffic.

I've heard other fans mention similar and in a lot of cases worse.

We got just over 8,500 fans today. We managed to get over 7,500 for the cup game with Aberdeen & over 8,000 for our game with Hibs recently, so it's not as if this lot are packing in the numbers that we never see any other time.

They brought a little more supporters than both those games I mentioned, yet we see twice the policing and personally I've seen twice the grief in the street afterwards.

If the club want to "take their gold" then that's entirely up to them. I certainly won't be back for the Rangers game next month, or any other time the Old Firm visit.

Judging by the spaces in the home support I'm not the only one who thinks it'll be a bit easier and less hassle to simply sit at home and watch the game on the telly.

I don't think it's old firm fans sitting in the main stand that stops Well fans coming to games tbh. The main reason is cause we're almost guaranteed to get beat against the OF.

I think it's a mixture of all of the above really. We never play well, their fans are usually scum, and the games are on television.

Absolutely no favouritism shown to the great unwashed today, they wanted to stand and party and were allowed to do so, but the 'Well fans that wanted to stand and try and motivate the gutless eleven in C & A to do something were also allowed to stand and party sing.

If 4900 'Well fans were prevented from turning up then the club made a mistake otherwise there can be no complaints.

Was right beside them , making it the family section seemed to have helped although it appeared that a few had pulled a stroke on that front.

Indeed. I overheard a largish party of young men being given "official" advice about how they constituted "a family" outside the POD Stand.

Can you honestly say you'd have left early if we'd been in front with 10 minutes to go?

Can you honestly say you'd have left early if we'd been in front with 10 minutes to go?

If I was there without kids? I'd have hung on until the end. If I'd had any kids with me? Without a doubt.

Regardless, it's simply an atmosphere and situation that I don't like. Others can feel free to disagree of course.

The atmosphere in the south stand side of the POD yesterday was excellent, with none of the Celtic Fans spouting their sectarian bile right next to us, well done to MFC for finally listening to the thoughts of the fans :nod: . I only hope that this arrangement is permanent, Motherwell fans should come first. Give the ugly sisters supporters the south stand only, thats what it was built for.

We built a stand far larger than we would normally need to accomodate the buggers, that should be enough. There is a section of Motherwell fans who will not attend Old Firm games here, that shows, and it always has. I can understand their feelings if they don't want to be subjected to their bile outside and inside the ground. It is only one factor though, kick off times, live on telly, they all contribute.

My highlight of the Celtic fans yesterday was me and Panda having an extra pint in the Leccy to let the hordes disperse before getting the train back to Blantyre and only succeeding in completely mistiming it so we were the only 'Well fans waiting on a train at Airbles with about 100 Celtic fans! We'd not even reached the platform before being threatened with stabbings. :lol: