Motherwell V Celtic 22/4/12 Discussion

Iain7_mfc

So what? Rangers season was well and truly over when they came to Fir Park at the end of March but guess what? They still managed to waltz away with the points after we'd turned in yet another inept, gutless and gormless display against them. Sunday will be no different and anyone who thinks, or pretends to think otherwise is kidding themselves.

This will be the first season in God knows how many years that we do not take one single point from either Celtic or Rangers.

I'll also stick my neck out right now and say that we will not take another point off of either of them (or beat them in a Cup game) whilst Stuart McCall is our manager. :whistling:

Must I remind you that Stuart McCall was or manager the last time we beat Celtic?

Anyway I would take losing to they two ugly sisters all the time if we can have the same record we have this season against the rest (apart from Killie obviously :laugh: ). As frustrating as the defeats are, it's all about total points at the end of the season. If we can get 60 points, finish 3rd and our record against the old firm is P 8 W 0 D 0 F 0 A 40 then so be it.

St Mirren beat Rangers this season and look where they are?

Take out Killie's cup win and look at their record against the top 3. From a league poisition point of view what good has it done them?

• Like 1

So what? Rangers season was well and truly over when they came to Fir Park at the end of March but guess what? They still managed to waltz away with the points after we'd turned in yet another inept, gutless and gormless display against them.

You're just making things up now, they stole the points that day, didnae deserve to lose that game.

• Like 1

Personally on Sunday, I'd go with

Randolph

Hateley Hutchinson Clancy Hammell

Humphrey Carswell Jennings Law

Higdon McHugh

Ojamma's form has shaded and perhaps he could make an impact coming off the bench. The reason I'd go for McHugh ahead of Murphy is simply that McHugh will be more inclined to play closer to Higdon. That and the fact that McHugh has been scoring goals in bounce games so should be confident...

• Like 1

Early Celtic goal, making me wonder why I bothered getting a ticket. Then an unexpected equaliser near the end of the first half (probably not courtesy of Ojamaa). Second half all Celtic, no chances for Motherwell, but we still manage to hang on for 1-1.

Or

Early Celtic goal, making me wonder why I bothered getting a ticket. Then Celtic score another three.

I didn't notice if anyone had already mentioned it, but don't forget that Celtic still want to win the league properly, i.e. by more than ten points.

Early Celtic goal, making me wonder why I bothered getting a ticket. Then an unexpected equaliser near the end of the first half (probably not courtesy of Ojamaa). Second half all Celtic, no chances for Motherwell, but we still manage to hang on for 1-1.

Or

Early Celtic goal, making me wonder why I bothered getting a ticket. Then Celtic score another three.

I didn't notice if anyone had already mentioned it, but don't forget that Celtic still want to win the league properly, i.e. by more than ten points.

Unless I'm mistaken are they not already 18 points clear. :whistling:

So what? Rangers season was well and truly over when they came to Fir Park at the end of March but guess what? They still managed to waltz away with the points after we'd turned in yet another inept, gutless and gormless display against them. Sunday will be no different and anyone who thinks, or pretends to think otherwise is kidding themselves.

This will be the first season in God knows how many years that we do not take one single point from either Celtic or Rangers.

I'll also stick my neck out right now and say that we will not take another point off of either of them (or beat them in a Cup game) whilst Stuart McCall is our manager. :whistling:

If you had read my post properly, you'd see that I wasn't actually meaning that we will win because the league's won. But why let that get in the way of a good rant, eh?

facepalm.gif

But did you really think we were gutless and inept against Rangers a couple weeks ago? I though we played not too badly, just a defensive error at the end let us down. And at Porkheid, another lapse let Hooper through for the winner.

But I guess our fans just want our team to do well, even if that means they are kidding themselves.

Celtic and Rangers aren't our big games. The games against St Johnstone, Dundee Utd and Hearts are far more significant than the OF games. Anything else is a bonus.

• Like 1

One things for sure one of our rivals for 3rd spot will take a point or all 3 v one or both of the Old firm. So why not us???? I probably know the answer to that Q. Celtic don't miss the sitters v Motherwell that they do v the other sides. Quite expecting a 35 yard screamer from Ki tomorrow for normal service to be resumed.

But what a start to the post split fixtures if we could get 3 points or even one from this game. Best case scenario is we are same points ahead with one game less being played v Celtic.

I do believe that Dundee United will pick up 3 points v St Johnstone - although a draw would be best. I also think Hearts will pick up a point v the Gers.

Mon the Well - 5 cup finals - nothing less than 100% PLEASE................

Must I remind you that Stuart McCall was or manager the last time we beat Celtic?

Yes but I must also remind you that during Stuart McCall's tenure as Motherwell manager we have played Celtic & Rangers twelve times combined, won one and lost the other eleven.

Yes but I must also remind you that during Stuart McCall's tenure as Motherwell manager we have played Celtic & Rangers twelve times combined, won one and lost the other eleven.

So you are saying it's about time we beat them again? We're all on board with that.

I think Murphy has to start on Sunday. He looked pretty good against Hibs and I reckon his wee spell on the bench will have reminded him that he can no longer take it for granted that he'll be in the team. At Easter Road Law near enough played in centre mid anyway so I'd drop Carswell.

Can't go to this, only my second missed home game of the season. The other was when we got a skelping from St Johnstone.

You're just making things up now, they stole the points that day, didnae deserve to lose that game.

Well me and you are going to have to disagree here because in my opinion we did deserve to lose that game. If you defend the way we did for both goals and show no belief in yourself that you can go on and win the game at 1-1 then you deserve to lose. Rangers didn't steal the points, we gifted them the points by making the same basic mistakes we always do against them.

Well me and you are going to have to disagree here because in my opinion we did deserve to lose that game. If you defend the way we did for both goals and show no belief in yourself that you can go on and win the game at 1-1 then you deserve to lose. Rangers didn't steal the points, we gifted them the points by making the same basic mistakes we always do against them.

aye the defending for the 2nd rangers goal was piss poor but to say we had no belief to win that game is nonsense if it wasn't for mcgregor we would have got something from the game which we deserved

Unsure how this game will go, all down to who wants it more, which SHOULD be us! A hate these 2week breaks, more often than not, does us no good, hopefully Sunday will buck that trend.

Ideally, St Johnstone-Utd draw, Rangers win at Tynecastle, then we get 3pts on Sunday.....After that, a win v St Johnstone the following week will ensure a 3rd place finish!

Really not confident about this game.

Mainly due to the fact that they will be playing with no pressure and the perennial victim of injustice feeling after the semi final that they will outplay us. Think one thing is for certain we need to get down and at the tomorrow and hit the fast and hard from the outset if we want a result.

Aside from a cup game, I usually go into a game against the Old Firm assuming we'll get nothing from it. All I expect is a hardworking performance from the players.

Anything else is a bonus really.

My main concern this week is the result of todays game between Dundee United & St Johnstone. I'll be hoping that a draw is the outcome there.

Mainly due to the fact that they will be playing with no pressure and the perennial victim of injustice feeling after the semi final that they will outplay us. Think one thing is for certain we need to get down and at the tomorrow and hit the fast and hard from the outset if we want a result.

You could be right. Whether we get something will depend on us having the courage to go for it and it will depend on them having an off day. They may naturally switch off which would be lovely but even on a sub-standard day if we don't get our tactics right they'll still win. If I were McCall I'd have a look at the DVD of the game when we beat them in February last year and play with that formation as that kept them quiet.

I'm confident we'll get the tactics right, I'm less confident in our defence's concentration to shut them out. Thinking they'll edge it 2-1 again.