Rival Watch

roly

With their win against St.Johnstone today, Dundee United will secretly fancy themselves as favourites for third spot. I fully expect us to lose to Celtic tomorrow (I hope I'm wrong), coupled with United's vastly superior GD they look to be in pole position. The only saving grace is that we still have to play them at Fir Park, which is now looking like a massive, massive game.

Disagree. The only advantage they have at the moment is their goal difference. Would you honestly prefer to be in their position? 3 points behind (at the moment), both halves of the Old Firm still to play and their final game is AWAY against their biggest rivals for third- which as you said, looks a massive game but I'm hoping it will be more like a meaningless friendly.

It's natural to be a bit nervous about our position but thinking about it logically, we are in pole position and IMO we have a free shot at Celtic tomorrow where we could actually increase our grip on third by going 6 points ahead.

• Like 1

St Johnstone too will be disappointed especially losing Sandaza early - its possible he may miss our game but that remains to be seen.

You miss the next game for any red card offence so he is out unless they make a successful appeal. But given Lomas said that it was stupid and he had let his teammates down and he had no complaints other than he thought Sandaza was kicked first they aint going to appeal so he will be missing next week.

Given it was Dillon I was going to say hopefully the compliance officer takes a look at him too but actually part of me would rather he played.

I haven't seen this incident at all though just going by what was on the radio a bit back.

Tomorrow is a free shot at Celtic as someone said - we need to play the way we did against Rangers three weeks back without the calamitous defending and we won't be far away. Whilst United may not be seeing these as bonus points - they are chasing. Peter Houston said he believed he needed to win five out of five to have a chance so they will be going hell for leather at it. Though as long as the slip up isn't v us I suspect four wins will be enough for them.

Also they at home to Hearts next week, I think they are a shoe in for that one. Hearts away form is dreadful and United have won 3/3 against them this season.

There would be two things of note should Motherwell not finish in 3rd place this season. Firstly it would have meant an outstanding end to the season for United and secondly an almost Malpas like end to the season for Motherwell.

The comparison would be a little unfair as we are playing top 6 instead of bottom six but the point is that it would be a massive turn around. Dundee Utd were miles behind not so long ago and have had a superb run in (Aberdeen apart). It would be somewhat ironic if in the final analysis wee broony's team save us.

If Motherwell don't finish third this season I would see the Kilmarnock game as being the turning point. That was the one game Well should have won. Kilmarnock had nothing to play for and a win would have taken the wind out of the United challenge. Killie winning that day is the reason why I don't take any comfort from the Celtic have nothing to play for argument. Rangers had nothing to play for today and beat Hearts at Tynecastle.

I have been very confident for weeks that we will finish 3rd but tonight is the first time in a little while that I have a slight doubt. Having said that I still think we will make it beating St Johnstone and Utd themselves to clinch a nervy last day Champions League spot. Losing tomorrow almost guarantees a final day shoot out I feel so we better get the valium ready.

If Motherwell don't finish third this season I would see the Kilmarnock game as being the turning point.

Lest not get too downbeat yet. However IF we don't make third spot the critical factor for me would be Stevie O'Reilly's refusal to give us a stonewall penalty late on in our last game at Tannadice. No guarantee we would have scored of course but thast could have made a 3 point difference. Hopefully that decision won't be cast up later.

Way too many decisions for and against over a season to single anything out. In my opinion if we finish fourth it will be because, in the end, Dun Utd had possibly amongst other things the bottle and mental strength and we didn't.

Lets hope it is the exact opposite.

I've been worried about throwing away 3rd place for weeks now as slowly but surely our previously seemingly insurmountable 11 point lead has been whittled away, but doesn't make it any easier to take.

Winnable games at Rugby Park and Easter Road were passed up and we will live to regret not taking those opportunities I feel.

I'm afraid to say I can't see this ending in anything other than tears but a win tomorrow and I might just start to believe again!

weve been poor in recent weeks but hopefully the players hold there nerve and can dig out some big performances that will seal 3rd place.hopefully after the celtic game we'll have a settle team to pick from cause the suspensions weve had of late have done us no favours hopefully we see craggs on the field at some point as his experience could be vital

a point tomorrow would be huge.

i'd feel much more confident with a 4 point gap than i would with 3.

Yip. Someone made the pt today that should well lose tomorrow united are in control of there own destiny given that they still have to play us and have a Superior goal difference. A draw tomorrow delays that for the time being.

Yip. Someone made the pt today that should well lose tomorrow united are in control of there own destiny given that they still have to play us and have a Superior goal difference. A draw tomorrow delays that for the time being.

If we lose tomorrow, we are still in control of our own destiny as we are ahead of all our rivals, and we still have to play Utd. at home.

• Like 1

Yes but we're playing Celtic and we all know our record against the OF. Even though we have more points right now I can't see us holding off Utd. Where are we going to pick up the points? They are playing well and have superior strikers to ours. If it all comes down to the last game of the season I would expect them to win that game. Sorry but that's how I see it and I will gladly eat a gigantic portion of humble pie if I'm wrong!

If we lose tomorrow, we are still in control of our own destiny as we are ahead of all our rivals, and we still have to play Utd. at home.

Exactly. The game against St Johnstone next week is far more important than this one today in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't want a win today, but a win next week is extremely important.

If we perform as we know we can the final game against United could be nothing more than a formality.

A draw today would be a great result. At 4 points ahead of United, we would only need to match their results in the next 3 games to render the final game a celebration. Given 2 of those 3 games for them would be the Old Firm then I think we should be able to do that. Still my gut feeling is it will go down to the final game due to our inability to take anything from either of the Old Firm...

The first of five cup finals today.

The same application of the run ins we had during McGhee's tenure would be good. We need to give it everything today and hope for an unexpected point or three, because as we all know it's not unusual that in the run in any team can lose those 'expected' points or two.

It would be a real blow to finish 4th after being 3rd (or better) for the overwhelming majority of the season.

So I hope the team turn up and the fans that make the game turn up as well.

It's understandable that a high number of regular attenders don't make these games - what with wading through the shite, our recent record againgst the OF and it also being on the telly. But we need the numbers. It would be good if a few of the 'switherers' could get the faith and get down there and cheer the lads on.

Three points today would be massive and we need a lot of things to go our way.

On a personal note it's also 16 years to the day since my old man passed away - a well win would be a nice way to reflect on his passing - Loads of great memories obviously and loads of them about following the well home and away

C'mon the Well!!!

• Like 4

1335090697[/url]' post='338089']

The first of five cup finals today.

The same application of the run ins we had during McGhee's tenure would be good. We need to give it everything today and hope for an unexpected point or three, because as we all know it's not unusual that in the run in any team can lose those 'expected' points or two.

It would be a real blow to finish 4th after being 3rd (or better) for the overwhelming majority of the season.

So I hope the team turn up and the fans that make the game turn up as well.

It's understandable that a high number of regular attenders don't make these games - what with wading through the shite, our recent record againgst the OF and it also being on the telly. But we need the numbers. It would be good if a few of the 'switherers' could get the faith and get down there and cheer the lads on.

Three points today would be massive and we need a lot of things to go our way.

On a personal note it's also 16 years to the day since my old man passed away - a well win would be a nice way to reflect on his passing - Loads of great memories obviously and loads of them about following the well home and away

C'mon the Well!!!

Nice wan .... Sending positive thoughts your way

Still think we need something from this match, remember Dundee Utd's goal difference is so superior the gap is effectively only 2 points and they have an advantage in the scheduled fixtures of having the same old firm matches but Hearts at home instead of away. I might be wrong but I can't see Dundee Utd not getting at least a point in their two matches against the OF and I'd fancy them more than us to get points off Hearts.

That's why I think we need a four point advantage going into these last four matches. We really need a two point cushion over these next four matches and that's why we need to get something today.

A win of course would be magnificent!