Motherwell Vs St Johnstone Discussion Thread

David

You can analyse indivividuals all day long but they are winning games as a TEAM right now and are better than us as a TEAM at this time. That is the only real stat you need to look at and the only one that will matter if they are 3rd come the evening of 13th May.

You can analyse indivividuals all day long but they are winning games as a TEAM right now and are better than us as a TEAM at this time. That is the only real stat you need to look at and the only one that will matter if they are 3rd come the evening of 13th May.

And over the course of 34 games as it stands, as a TEAM Dundee United have won 14 games, we as a TEAM have won 16 games. And that is the only "stat" that requires looking at, along with the points total - which again we have more of. Doesnt matter if we accumulate all the points over x period or y period. We have played level amount of games, we have more points and more wins than them. They don't have a bigger squad as you dispute, and quality wise they are not as superior as you suggest. Granted they have gone on an unbelievable run of late, but remember Aberdeen went 13 games unbeaten in the league this season (or something similar), teams go on runs - and just because they have beaten what is arguably the worst team in the top 6 at the weekend doesnt suddenly make them favourites for clinching 3rd. They still have to beat the OF, they still have to beat a tricky Hearts team, and they still need to come to Fir Park to get 3 points on the final day.

Look at last year prior to the QF against them in the Scottish Cup, they had the momentum, they had the pressure of being the holders, they had the pressure of a big away following in the South Stand, they had all the focus on them. What happened? They bottled it, we put a performance in (arguably the best of the season) and won at a canter. Come the final day the pressure is going to be on them, the media is already focusing on them being the favourites for this CL place, we have had to deal with the media saying "can we pip Rangers to 2nd" and with that our results have tailed off, this Sat is the first weekend the focus will be on Utd - let's see how they do. Gonna be a completely different ball game.

• Like 1

Granted, but I'm talking about reflecting on a league table on the 14th May and one that shows Dun Utd above us. A hypothetical situation but a real possibility. If that is the case I don't think we can argue that they were better than us and they deserve to be there.

If that happens.

You can get odds of 3/1 with SkyBet on United finishing third which might be worth a few bob just in case. Hopefully Hearts can do us a turn on Saturday by beating them and we can do the job against St Johnstone to put us firmly in pole position for Champions Leaugue.

As for the game i'd bring in Murphy, Lasley and Saunders to replace Daley, Carswell and Hateley. Hateleys distribution in the final third was abysmal yesterday and was lucky to get away with trying to let the ball go out for a goal kick when Mulgrew won the ball. Daley was his usual work shy self and Carswell looked out of his depth.

I would keep Ojamaa on the bench again as he was woeful again, partly at fault for their 1st goal by not tracking back and wasted possession many times. Needs to be a team player rather than trying to be the hero every time.

This is absolutely massive, we have to win this as it will all but rule out St Johnstone and Hearts from overtaking us too, which will lessen the pressure at least a bit! Of course United could be ahead of us before we kick off on Saturday, but the fact remains that a win will ensure we have AT LEAST a three point gap with United then facing the bigots back-to-back.

No matter what anyone thinks, it will be gutting to miss out on a once-in-a-lifetime chance of Champions league fitba at Fir Park. Yes finishing 4th is by Motherwell standards a good season, just not this season after how things have gone.

The only definite team change will be Lasley for Carswell. I imagine that Daley will drop out, and for me I'd partner Murphy with Higdon up front.

A must win match and probably a nervy affair, unless we hammer them of course! However this is Motherwell, so buckle up people! 2-1 but a tortuous period of hanging on before we celebrate a vital three points!!

• Like 1

MASSIVE game for MFC. The Must Win cliche is over-played, however in this instance I doubt it's ever been more relevant.

We're not 3rd by chance or a stroke of luck, but because formuch of the season we've been better than 9 of the 12 other clubs in SPL.

To the players - it's time to believe guys. You want to play Champions League football in a couple of months, then go out and prove it to yourselves, and us.

To the fans - want Champions League at Fir Park then get along to Fir park in big numbers on Saturday. Once in a lifetime chance for us I'd say, and if we play our part .............. you just never know.

I think we'll win this game without too many problems. Im actually glad following the weekend as we've gotten the Celtic game out of the way first (of the 5 post-split), so we're ahead on points with the one game pretty much every side will take nothing from, out of the way.

To be honest if Celtic are going to 'experiment' with Youth players in the run in (except against Rangers) then I think they will get beat before the end of the season. I'm hoping for a strong Celtic side turning out at Tannadice.

I'm hoping for a strong Celtic side turning out at Tannadice.

Fear not - thats something that Mr Lennon has banged on about in the past when the title has gone to the wire. He reminded all SPL managers that they had a duty to play their strongest side at all times in the interest of fairness.

• Like 1

Fear not - thats something that Mr Lennon has banged on about in the past when the title has gone to the wire. He reminded all SPL managers that they had a duty to play their strongest side at all times in the interest of fairness.

I would say he didn't put his strongest team out yesterday. We never took advantage of that.

MASSIVE game for MFC. The Must Win cliche is over-played, however in this instance I doubt it's ever been more relevant.

We're not 3rd by chance or a stroke of luck, but because formuch of the season we've been better than 9 of the 12 other clubs in SPL.

To the players - it's time to believe guys. You want to play Champions League football in a couple of months, then go out and prove it to yourselves, and us.

To the fans - want Champions League at Fir Park then get along to Fir park in big numbers on Saturday. Once in a lifetime chance for us I'd say, and if we play our part .............. you just never know.

Agree completely with that.

Unless Rangers are not in the spl or are banned from europe then we're not going to have this chance again.I'm 22 and if we miss out this season then i doubt i'll ever see Motherwell in the cl.

I would say he didn't put his strongest team out yesterday. We never took advantage of that.

Yeah but it wasn't quite a team full of untried Under 19's either. Bar maybe Zaluska most of that srtarting XI would walk into our team.

As for this weekend. 3-1 easy!

i wish i could be as confident as others about this game.

mccall has made an arse of the last 4 fixtures. i can't say i've got much faith in him sending out a team capable of making chances and scoring on saturday.

We made 7 (at least 4 glorious) in our last two home games....

Yeah but it wasn't quite a team full of untried Under 19's either. Bar maybe Zaluska most of that srtarting XI would walk into our team.

As for this weekend. 3-1 easy!

Aye, but the point was about Lennon sending out his strongest team. That wisnae it and if that Celtic X1 turns up at Tannadice I fancy Utd for a point.

Aye, but the point was about Lennon sending out his strongest team. That wisnae it and if that Celtic X1 turns up at Tannadice I fancy Utd for a point.

Yep, one of the worrying / annoying things about watching us lose 3-0 to that Celtic team was thinking that Dundee Utd would have beat them quite convincingly on that showing.

Yep, one of the worrying / annoying things about watching us lose 3-0 to that Celtic team was thinking that Dundee Utd would have beat them quite convincingly on that showing.

Like they did against Aberdeen?

Dundee Utd. will bottle it, like the last couple of times we have been fighting for a Euro place. It's much easier closing a gap than overhauling it.

I agree, but the thing is if we had played a better starting 11 with better tactics then I would quite fancy us to have taken something of theat Celtic side also!! That's what's so infuriating, especially considering what is at stake, with Sundays performance.

i wish i could be as confident as others about this game.

mccall has made an arse of the last 4 fixtures. i can't say i've got much faith in him sending out a team capable of making chances and scoring on saturday.

This. Sadly.

There is currently nothing to suggest that Dundee United will bottle the run in. So what if Aberdeen beat them. Go back and check their results for the last three months.

Last 3 months is meaningless. Next 4 games is what counts. Last 4 games, Utd. beat Dunfermline, beat Hibs, lost to Aberdeen and beat St. Johnstone. 9 points from 12.

Our most recent set of results against the same 4 teams is 12 points from 12.

So the last three months is meaningless yet you are comparing their last four games against, not our last four games, but the opposition and get it wrong when we couldn't beat Hibs two weeks ago? Two of the four teams you mentioned dumped us out of both Cups but that is equally as irrelevant.

Momentum is everything at this stage of the season. They have it. We don't.

So the last three months is meaningless yet you are comparing their last four games against, not our last four games, but the opposition and get it wrong when we couldn't beat Hibs two weeks ago? Two of the four teams you mentioned dumped us out of both Cups but that is equally as irrelevant.

It is meaningless. That is what I was pointing out. The past results - even last weeks, don't matter. It's like the NFL. The Giants sucked for large parts of the regular season, but put together 4 good games in the play-offs at the end to win the Superbowl.

4 points will likely do it for us - last week is meaningless now.

Momentum is everything at this stage of the season. They have it. We don't.

They had it when they lost to Aberdeen. We didn't have it and still beat Aberdeen. It's still meaningless.

Points are everything at this stage of the season, not momentum. It's still in our hands - you can't ask for better than that and I'd swap our current state for Utd's any day of the week.