Party Time - Champion League Well V Dundee Utd

Welldaft Mk1

It is to the team's credit that all the hard work was done beforehand by the team so that win, lose or draw the scoreline today didn't matter hugely. I'm sure they would still have liked to have won it all the same but it wasn't to be.

Thought we started reasonably well without being overly threatening but lost our way for a good bit of the half when they got ahead and when Hammy went off injured. That actually had some eery overtones of Martyn Corrigan's injury which I think also came in a meaningless last game of the season against Dundee Utd at Fir Park.

Towards the middle point of the half though I felt we got back on top and whilst you might say we'd be pushing our luck to have deserved to been ahead at that stage, we certainly didn't deserve to go in behind.

Second half we started with purpose but looked to have ran out of ideas midway through the half and United began to look increasingly threatening on the break. We ended up with quite an odd formation towards the end in an effort to get back on terms but it didn't happen.

But with Hammell recovering sufficiently to be able to walk around the park at the end it seems no harm done, other than at worst United arguably claiming a bit of a psychological edge over us for when the battle recommences again next season.

Not a bad summing up Andy. I too had a horrible flashback to Martyn Corrigan's injury and I'm glad Stevie is ok. Had the game been a decider I think you'd have seen a different Well side. Whilst our lads had a a party on their minds for the most part United were out to right a perceived injustice. A mixture of working harder than us and very good fortune ensured they carried off the 3 point somewhat unfairly. On the pitch it simply wasn't going to be our day and you got the feeling that irrespective of how we played the 3 points were always going to Tayside. In such games you hope for 2 things no stretcher cases and no red cards. We managed one but not the other.

Still we should look back over the season and not over 90 minutes. The team has done well and despite what United might think we finished 3rd not them and by a clear 3 points. Good to know also that we start next season with a bank of good fortune to come our way in tussles with them.

Sorry that Crags didn't bow out with a win but thats football

• Like 1

Thought we were unlucky to lose today but again Humhrey's balls across time and time again were missed time and time again. But hey thought the fans were terrific today and its CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WE'RE HAVIN A LAUGH! :thumbup: Must be the ONLY time ever i've left the Ark so happy at a defeat. :laugh: Special mention to Craigan i'd like to say he was immense and i wish he'd do a Paul Scholes and reconsider. :notworthy:

Dundee Utd sat behind the ball so it was difficult for us to really get a grip of the game and predictably they scored on the break.

The Hammell injury and the Dundee Utd goal dampened the atmosphere a bit but we still created a number of chances in the first half and probably should have put one of them away.

Second half we didn't really do much and weren't often a threat. We were poor down the spine of the team with Jennings and Lasley not having the best of days and Higdon not really at his best either. On the other hand Randolph made some good saves, Hateley had a return to form after a poor period and Stephen Craigan was excellent.

Dundee Utd probably deserved to win, they seemed to me to have a few more shots on target and I don't remember Pernis having to pull off too many notable saves but it was more about celebrating the season and saying goodbye to a great club servant today.

Decent crowd today and a good atmosphere at the beginning and the end.

Well done to everyone for the season and can't wait for the next one although I probably won't see much of it unfortunately.