Youth Development

Orinoco

Nothing says wages are increasing,but I get the point that investment is being made, the community involvement will generate some income to offset it

its a gamble, but well worth taking, the club need to generate players as we've seen we struggle to compete with England on wages let alone paying for players

but I don't think it's just about players for the 1st team that this is about, it looks to be another good move to position the club at the centre of the community and possibly further afield, young families with kids involved in already successful but now more professional setup, will only continue to raise the standing of the club and hopefully bring with it good will and support

has always got to be balanced with 1st team remaining competitiv though!

Could be the first step in compensating for the drop in TV money when we kick Rangers out the SPL :whistling:

Seems like a smart move to me. We are still a selling club, and bringing up ready made replacements through the ranks has served us well in the past.

See it as a positive step. It's about making a good team better and forcing change from a position of strength from what I can see. It IS the future for us, it should be embraced such.

Although... As much as we've produced in recent times - we still find ourselves a little behind other clubs in terms of structure and in some cases facilities etc.

Motherwell currently find themselves outwith the 6 'elite' youth development clubs of which the city clubs of Rangers (who knows what'll become of that shower), Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen (who've just scrapped their West of Scotland programme due to a lack of funding) and St Mirren...

Just my input from limited knowledge of the subject. We have others on this board who can offer a better insight into the current pro youth set-up in Scotland due their/their kids involvement. I'd be interested to see their opinion as to how we compare to others.

I think it is a really positive move to set more resources around the youth development as thsi is what we have been about over the past 5 or 6 years at least. Youngy I believe has a great reputation for spotting and nurturing good talent and this will allow him to concentrate more on this. The more time and resources we can put to the youth development, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Could be the first step in compensating for the drop in TV money when we kick Rangers out the SPL :whistling:

Seems like a smart move to me. We are still a selling club, and bringing up ready made replacements through the ranks has served us well in the past.

That was my first thought too, and if that is the case then good move from the club!

Although... As much as we've produced in recent times - we still find ourselves a little behind other clubs in terms of structure and in some cases facilities etc.

Motherwell currently find themselves outwith the 6 'elite' youth development clubs of which the city clubs of Rangers (who knows what'll become of that shower), Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen (who've just scrapped their West of Scotland programme due to a lack of funding) and St Mirren...

Just my input from limited knowledge of the subject. We have others on this board who can offer a better insight into the current pro youth set-up in Scotland due their/their kids involvement. I'd be interested to see their opinion as to how we compare to others.

The structure and quality of coaching at the Motherwell set-up is fine.

As far as facilities are concerned, we are behind Rangers (as long as they hold onto Murray Park), Celtic and Hibs, who all have their own youth facilites, and Hearts who have their academy at the Heriot Watt grounds at Riccarton. We are on a par with the likes of Dundee Utd (who use astro pitches beside their ground for the younger end and St Andrews Uni playing fields for the older ones) and Aberdeen, who have the use of pitches at Balgownie at the edge of the city, in that we use the astro at Fir Park for the wee ones and the pitches at Dalziel Park from 13s upwards. The 12s used to use the astro at Wishaw Sports Centre but I'm not sure if they still do or not.

The structural changes (especially with respect to Youngy) have been vital because ot the new strucure that the SFa are bringing in. If we want to be one of the Elite clubs (which, I think - but am not certain about - brings increased financial investment from the SFC to the club) the Head of Youth (now "Academy Director") cannot also be the u20s coach - there needs to be a completely separate person filling this position. Other criteria, such as physios, gym facilities, schools liaison officer, etc, have been in place for many years so we are ok for that.

In my opinion, it can only be good - Youngy has shown over the years, as a coach and then as Head of Youth, that he is great at bringing on young players, and whenever he has stepped in to take a coaching session with one of the teams, the benefits are obvious. The fact that he will be able to devote his time totally to the youth system can only be to the club's, and the boys', benefit.

• Like 1

A club the size of ours simply needs to be bringing through talented youngsters that can do the business for us over a few seasons and then be moved on for a decent chunk of change. Anything that the club are looking to do that will improve that system can only be a good thing in my opinion.

• Like 1

A club the size of ours simply needs to be bringing through talented youngsters that can do the business for us over a few seasons and then be moved on for a decent chunk of change. Anything that the club are looking to do that will improve that system can only be a good thing in my opinion.

spot on