Simon Ramsden

FrazMFC96

I've only seen Ramsden play today, but on that showing he looks a better bet than Clancy. He looks more composed, tidy with the ball and always looking for an easy ball out of defence. Much less of a bombscare than Clancy.

• Like 1

Thats 3 times I've seen him now and I think he's got better in each game. Must take time to get to know the players and how we set ourselves up. looks very composed on the ball and positionally wise he shows his experience. Not the best in the air I've ever seen but then he's not really an out and out centre half. I think he's worth taking a punt on, especially if he can play in more than one position.

Yes, let's drop a player who played an important part in our fantastic season last year for a player who has played three pre-season games.

Wait, that's right, the rule on this forum is: player we don't know about must be better than player we do. I believe it's called The Willie Kinniburgh Rule.

Hateley should be the first choice RB ahead of anyone else. Pretty consistent, reliable and level headed, and very rarely injured. Which sadly seems to be the problem for Hutch and Saunders. Quite concerning how many niggles both pick up in relation to other players of a similar age.

Hope I haven't jinxed Hateley now right enough.

ramsden looks very comfortable on the ball. not sure how he'll cope under pressure from a team like panathinaikos but good luck to him in trying - if he gets a contract. very much up in the air with ongoing talks with sky. saunders out for weeks, page out for two weeks, hutchy touch and go. if ramsden doesn't get a deal its cummins and ??????????? for the champions league

I thought Ramsden played well, looked good on the ball, even heard him shouting a bit and showing some leadership at the back, he looks to be worth a deal. As for Hatley he was in his best position yesterday at RB, our 1st choice back line should be Hatley, Saunders, Hutchison, Hammell, but Ramsden and Cummins looked to be a solid partnership yesterday as cover until Saunders and Hutchie are fit.

It's always a popular poser people offering an opinion on who they would like to make up a starting eleven.

But having three central-defenders and a striker unavailable after just three pre-season games perhaps illustrates that the question we should be asking ourselves is do we have sufficient cover across each position within the team deal with situations like that.

If not as a first choice then certainly Ramsden comes into his own in that regard given his versatility. I would certainly hope that McCall hasn't closed any doors on anybody else for defensive cover but Ramsden hasn't looked out of place at all, offers the versatility required to cover two or three roles, has already spent a few weeks with the squad now and has the added bonus of being known to the manager already.

It would seem to me that its just a case of someone holding the purse strings at the club giving the nod rather than McCall having any decision to make here.

Yet no one has mentioned Page yet...

I actually thought both Cummins and Ramsden did well yesterday. Ramsden to me looks no worse than Clancy and maybe even a bit better and more composed.

I think it would be Hutchy and one other as 1st choice central defence. We have Ramsden, Cummins, Page and possibly even Saunders to choose from when fully fit. Actually nit that bad given this is/was our main area of concern. Of course this assumes we sign Ramsden...

But having three central-defenders and a striker unavailable after just three pre-season games perhaps illustrates that the question we should be asking ourselves is do we have sufficient cover across each position within the team deal with situations like that.

Presumably too Stuart Carswell is injured I've hardly heard his name mentioned in recent weeks and he doesn't appear to have featured in any game. Is he injured or has he done a Lord Lucan disappearing act?

Presumably too Stuart Carswell is injured I've hardly heard his name mentioned in recent weeks and he doesn't appear to have featured in any game. Is he injured or has he done a Lord Lucan disappearing act?

Came on at Ayr as part of the wholesale changes midway through the second half - don't remember any injury then - certainly didn't feature at Kirkcaldy.