Hamilton Accies - Saturday

Steve Diggle

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in from game. Have to say we were 2nd best today and scarecely deserved to win but we did and it's a fab 3pts and has us banging the door for the top 6. Thought Clarky and Hughes were our best peformers as was Smithy in goalwith some fine saves. Can someone PLEASE explain to me why MM insists on putting Jim O'Brian on the LEFT wing. Sheridan's as raw as a winter's night on Glenshee by the way. :P .

i thought hughes was poor in the first half, in saying that the whole midfield was non existent in the first 45. Thats why hamilton were all over us we were losing out everytime in midfield. I dont think we won a header or a tackle in the first half. Looked more composed in the second half,although the performance wasnt great we had a couple of chances to increase our lead. Although Hamilton were trying to come at us, I didnt feel like we were going to lose a goal in the second half. we got there in the end, massive 3 points against the scum of lanarkshire. they conceded a goal and thats there run fucked, superb!

Very poor first half. Smith made a few good saves, one of which around the 4 minute mark was outstanding.

Improved in the second half, more fight, better passing and some good runs and crosses into the box, so all in all a very good 3 points

The referee was dire. Clarkson wrestled to the ground a few times, and each time no action. Penalty claims as well. Also, booking Quinn after the incident with McCarthy (?), who showed today to be vastly over-hyped.

As others have said, dire in the first half and outrun in the midfield. Got the goal at the right time, lovely wee bit of interplay between Hammell and O'Brien on the left to set it up. Clearly we were lifted by this in the second plus a half time rocket no doubt, and really enjoyed the last 45. Highlights for me were Sheridan who while undeniably raw, had some lovely wee touches and isny short of pace when required. Klimpl did a great shift, as did Hammell and Hughes. The mark of a side going places is winning when you're not playing that well, so hopefully the top 6 and Europe beckons...

I will take that all day long. Goal against the run of play is what we needed but rarely get. Everyone was buzzin' at half time (accies fans must have been bielin'! :P )

Enjoyed the 2nd half too - highlight for me was big Klimpl's ovation - if that doesn't make him want to stay nothing will (although I'm sure he will) - ledgend in the making!

As ever, delighted for Davie to get a goal. I might be wrong about this but wasn't that DC's 50th goal for the 'Well?? If so well done!!

Not the best performance but really happy with the result. Buzz was fantastic again and really kept us in it today. I really hope he signs a new deal. Darren Smith did well today and deserved his start, hopefully he'll get another start in one of the games next week. Thought Klimpl broke up play well and Jim O'Brien again looked dangerous on the ball. Felt a bit for Hughes as the only time he got near the ball in the first half was when he chased back and took it from someone. We seemed to bypass the midfield a bit too much. Really did a superb job in the second though and I think his goal last week's given him a bit more confidence.

Quinn had a bit of a shocker though, hope he can pick it up. Some good runs, just kept making the wrong decision.

EDIT: Oh and Dougie McDonald? Get tae fuck. That was a stonewall penalty. Nevermind all the accies player jumping in with elbows all the time. When is he going to actually watch a game he's supposed to be in charge of?

Their manager is a hoot, accusing Klimpl of running around pushing folk over and not getting booked, and saying the Ref gave them nothing all day!

Ackids

Irrespective of the performance, we won which, in the league, is the most important thing. 3 Points is three pionts after all.

Quinn had a bit of a shocker though, hope he can pick it up. Some good runs, just kept making the wrong decision.

Quinns final ball has been a fuckin disgrace for as long as I can remember. I'd give Lasley a bash at Right Back, hes no scared to put a boot and he grafts like fuck. Might suit him seein as he hits a whitey anytime he's in the final third of the park :P

Thought we were lucky to go in at one nil at half time. The first ten minutes or so they were all over us. Second half we were much better though and looked more hungry for the win. Though Darren Smith did well and will hopefully really benefit from starting.

The ref was diabolical. Didn't have a clue. Looked a stonewall penalty to me but he was totally disinterested. Just shite.

In other news McGhee praises the fans after his words in the programme click

I'll take that. If you can't steamroller the opposition in a derby game then the next best thing is to beat them and send them home thinking what might have been.

Not a great performance but a hard fought win.

I don't know if Accies changed their style today but thinking back to Reid's comments during the week about our pitch not suiting their style and seeing them hump the ball to Deuchar for much of the game and try to feed off the knockdowns doesn't quite tally. But it did cause us problems for much of the first half and was pretty effective.

Perhaps significant that we had two good moves of note in the first half, the first of which culminated in Hughes putting a cross-come-shot just wide and the second a goal.

Second half I thought we more than held our own and defended resolutely when the need arose. Bit nervy mind when he added on 4 minutes then chose to play at least another one after that. But we got there.

McGhee made the point a few weeks ago, and its pretty obvious really, but it really makes a difference getting that first goal and having something to defend rather than having to chase a game.

But hey, the self-proclaimed big shots with their men of the month and their winning streak have come and gone with their tails between their legs and that's good enough for me.

I agree with a lot thats been said. We stole the 3 points against a better team on the day. Accies dominated for long spells but lacked a cutting edge up front. We failed to match them physically and they looked far more fired up than were. That said the ref was awful from start to finish and was rightly booed off at full time. Where did the extra 4 minutes come from incidentally?

Once again we didn't quite get the formation right. The midfield was distinctly lightweight against Accies' Panzer division. While Dazza put in a good shift on the right, it was at the expense of an out of sorts Jim O'Brien who was forced to play out of position on the left. If someone else starts wide right then Marc Fitzpatrick would have been a better, although not perfect, starting option.

Do I feel sorry for Accies? In a word no. We've played well and lost before. They're a big, fit and very physical team. Just too physical - two of their players were very, very fortunate to escape red cards for off the ball elbowing incidents. Billy Reid really needs to stop feeding them raw meat before games and cut out their strongarm stuff. Really felt sorry for Coach being yellow carded after being blatantly elbowed off the ball. That added insult to injury & would have tested the patience of saint.

Our best players? Probably Sheridan, who looked sharp, Davie Clarkson for his overall effort and goal, Maros Klimpl for his all action performance and Coach for his unstoppable charges up the wing & exhibition stuff in the first half (fit to grace any World Cup). Dazza too put in a good shift.

I thought accies were very physical and very dirty many reports say they dominated the first half but I think maybe they just had more of a cutting edge up front.

However we got the goal and never looked back.

As for Accies 'Goal' the whistle had gone before the sho was struck so it wa never actually a goal to be disallowed.

There will be loads of bruises in the 'well dressin room but the bottom line is we won and they didnae so they can drag there skanky carcasses back across the clyde and get it right round them.

Can only agree with whats been said, poor first half etc. but even though it wasnt exactly a world class performance, I think we deserved the win in the end. I thought Quinn was our poorest player today, seemed to always pick the wrong pass or whatever.Good shifts from Sheridan, Clarky and Klimpl. Also, did anybidy else notice Porter was still on the back of the program :lol: we can always hope I suppose :lol:

Accies certainly had the edge first half, but they'll kill off fitbaw playing like that - I was stuck looking skywards everytime they got the ball - to put a balance on it however, they caused us problems in the air all game, so fair play to the defence who stuck at it and by and large, defended like defenders :lol:

Buzz's saves from the deflected shot first half, and the low shot in the 2nd were top drawer - the guy can still improve on aspects of his game, but his agilty and shot stopping are superb - I hope he stays when it comes to making his decision

Haven't heard Reid's comments, but if he is complaining of Klimpl scrapping and battling away in midfield, then it beggars belief - he's built a team that can handle themselves, have no doubt about that, but he must consider himself on a par with the Squirm and untouchable, if he thinks his team are angels

Actually thought we could have scored another goal or two in the 2nd, with a little more guile around the box, especially Sheridan's breakaway when it was 3 against 1 defender - we'll let it lie given the end result and blame the pitch

Looking forward to seeing the highlights as Clarkie's goal seemed to take an eternity before we realised it was a goal - perfect time and burst their bubble big time

All in all, a reasonably good day at the office, far from playing as we can, but we dug out a result :lol:

MON RA DOSSERS