Can We Score In Europe

East_Stand_Al

62 members have voted

1. 1. Can we score a goal away to Levante?

It won't be 5 or 6 to them over there.

The way they played last night is the way they play all the time ( according to their own fans on their website) They defend well and hit teams on the break.

If they get another goal next Thursday I think they will shut up shop and thats the end of it.

Anyway to answer the question No I don't think we will score over there unless we can sign and register a player who can hit an incisive pass to open up a defence which is something we don't have at this moment in time.

See you in Valencia.

Mon the Dossers.

No we will not score in Valencia! We may not score very many in the SPL either if we continue with what we see, as Higdon and Ojamaa don't work together, and we don't have any midfielder with the vision to see the runs being made by OJ and Murphy. Could be a difficult season for us. Hope I'm wrong.

Just had a look back at all of our 25 European matches to date and the record is not the best

Played - 25

Won - 9

draw - 1

Lost - 15

For - 32

Against - 29

So in league terms 28 points from a possible 75 its not the best. And remember that nearly 50% of our goals came against 2 of the diddy teams HB Torshavn (7) and Flamurtari ,8 so against some of the more able sides our goal scoring record is poor.

Just had a look back at all of our 25 European matches to date and the record is not the best

Played - 25

Won - 9

draw - 1

Lost - 15

For - 32

Against - 29

So in league terms 28 points from a possible 75 its not the best. And remember that nearly 50% of our goals came against 2 of the diddy teams HB Torshavn (7) and Flamurtari ,8 so against some of the more able sides our goal scoring record is poor.

So in summeary, we have scored more goals against weaker teams than against stronger teams.

In other news, ursines' defecation preferences tend towards more arboreal regions.

• Like 1

Played - 25

Won - 9

draw - 1

Lost - 15

For - 32

Against - 29

You'd be as well looking at Second Division teams' performances in Scottish Cup quarter finals as a comparison. Because when we play in Europe, that's what we are. A relatively small team that's somehow found themselves in with the big boys.

Our goalscoring record in Europe isn't the best? This is Motherwell we're talking about. What, seriously, are your expectations..?

Expectations are not great...been following Motherwell too long to realise that..but we need to be making progress in Europe and taking the next step to EL groups, and that means scoring goals. Thats 3 attempts now (4 if you think Levante game is over) to secure group stages AS Nancy, Odense and Panathinikos and we are 1 for, 13 against.

I am not saying we had the quality to beat these teams but we need to start converting chances to give us a glimour of an opportunity

Expectations are not great...been following Motherwell too long to realise that..but we need to be making progress in Europe and taking the next step to EL groups, and that means scoring goals. Thats 3 attempts now (4 if you think Levante game is over) to secure group stages AS Nancy, Odense and Panathinikos and we are 1 for, 13 against.

I am not saying we had the quality to beat these teams but we need to start converting chances to give us a glimour of an opportunity

That's the part I don't understand. For me Motherwell qualifying for Europe is an achievement. And, of course, when we're there I want us to do well but I'm realistic enough to know that it's thje longest of long shots. Looking at our European games as a whole, how many times have we been put out by teams that weren't considerably better than us? I can think of twice. Katowice and Odense. For me, for the most part we've beaten the teams we could realistically expect to beat.

The two I mentioned, Katowice and Odense. Katowice was a long time ago and it wasn't until I saw the highlights of the home leg on Youtube recently that I remembered how much we'd pummeled them at Fir Park only to be unable to put the ball in the net. Odense was a chance, possibly the chance. Were they better than us? Aye, but not by much. We had a team that for the most part had played together for a while and a manager who experience of international competition. That season, for me, in the previous round we achieved better than could have been hoped by soundly beating a team of a similar stature to us in Aalesunds. That was the season we could have done it.

Progress would be nice, yes. But I reckon in about 20 years time we could be looking back on these as the golden years of watching Motherwell, irrespective of progress or not to the group stages in Europe...

That's the part I don't understand. For me Motherwell qualifying for Europe is an achievement. And, of course, when we're there I want us to do well but I'm realistic enough to know that it's thje longest of long shots. Looking at our European games as a whole, how many times have we been put out by teams that weren't considerably better than us? I can think of twice. Katowice and Odense. For me, for the most part we've beaten the teams we could realistically expect to beat.

The two I mentioned, Katowice and Odense. Katowice was a long time ago and it wasn't until I saw the highlights of the home leg on Youtube recently that I remembered how much we'd pummeled them at Fir Park only to be unable to put the ball in the net. Odense was a chance, possibly the chance. Were they better than us? Aye, but not by much. We had a team that for the most part had played together for a while and a manager who experience of international competition. That season, for me, in the previous round we achieved better than could have been hoped by soundly beating a team of a similar stature to us in Aalesunds. That was the season we could have done it.

Progress would be nice, yes. But I reckon in about 20 years time we could be looking back on these as the golden years of watching Motherwell, irrespective of progress or not to the group stages in Europe...

Yes qualifying is a great achievement but in recent seasons we have been qualifiying on a regular basis, so for me just being in the early rounds is not enough, i want to see us develop and take the next step and have a taste of the group stages. It does not matter what competition you are playing in, domestic or European league or cup competitions every team wants to improve and do better than their last attempt.

We may never go that one step beyond and get to a group stage but we need to try and on a few of the games mentioned previously we have not done ourselves justice, so we need to learn and up our performances, scoring a few more goals would be a start

After last nights display I would have to say no. For the majority of the game Levante could have played without a keeper, in fact I can only recall one instance when he had to intervene. Unfortunately Motherwell appear to struggle against the better sides in Europe, where some other teams seem to positively thrive at the challenge.

Yes qualifying is a great achievement but in recent seasons we have been qualifiying on a regular basis, so for me just being in the early rounds is not enough, i want to see us develop and take the next step and have a taste of the group stages. It does not matter what competition you are playing in, domestic or European league or cup competitions every team wants to improve and do better than their last attempt.

We may never go that one step beyond and get to a group stage but we need to try and on a few of the games mentioned previously we have not done ourselves justice, so we need to learn and up our performances, scoring a few more goals would be a start

I think you are both correct.

Clearly any competition you take part in, you seek to go as far in that competition as you possibly can. And it seems only reasonable that if you build up a certain amount of experience in that competition you look to apply that where possible to see where you can better yourself next time around. Within that though there remains plenty of variables that mean it's never going to be a constantly upward progression - quality of our team, quality of opposition, officials and atmosphere are just a few off the top of my head. And then there is what I'd largely put last night down to - we simply didn't play as well as we could on the night. But to me there's absolutely nothing wrong in striving to see us make the next step in Europe which for us is trying to get into the Europa League groups.

That said however I get totally where Melvin is coming from on this one. Because we have had a few European campaigns relatively close together it can't be assumed that this will always be our lot. I'm sure when St Mirren had 3 or 4 European campaigns behind them in quick succession in the early-mid 80's their fans believed that would be the norm. By the end of the decade they were in Division 1 getting pumped 7-0 by teams. Likewise Dundee Utd.

It can all turn around so quickly so frustrating as performances like last night are and as much as we want Motherwell to make strides at the same time we have to put it into context of where we are as a club in the broader view and that means celebrating that we've actually got to this point in the first place and taking as much as can from the experience no matter the outcomes.

• Like 1