Club 12 - Dundee Game Chat Etc.

ropy

All problems started with the Managers failure to replace Jennings and Craigan. Ramsden is a poor centre half and is not the player to bring on any of the other young centre halfs. Law can't play centre mid and the game passes by Lasley. We are also now so predictable and play the same tactics week in week out!

My thoughts on a few players:-

Humphrey - complete waste of a jersey - the few times he beats his man he never finds a Well player

Daley - does not even merit a comment!!

Hately - corners and free kicks are pathetic

Hammell - delivery from wide hopeless

Lasley - past it!! One good game all season away at St J

Higdon - may have scored a number of goals but contribution to the team is limited - if not scoring it's like playing with 10

Said after the Hibs game it was time for the Manager to go - nothing has changed my mind - cant see matters improving until he does! Don't forget to take JJ with you!!

Some of this criticism is a bit OTT for my money.

A player with Higdons goal scoring ratio must play every minute of every game he's available. It's as simple as that. There's no need to justify his inclusion further by mentioning his defensive work at set pieces. His primary role is to score goals and he's doing it consistently. Nobody else is.

Omar only plays ten minutes every now and again so I'd say it's harsh to drag him into any of the blame-throwing for our poor run. I'm not saying I rate him, but its not his fault.

Lasley is not past it. He's still a good SPL midfielder but he is perhaps not good enough to hold the whole midfield together as he is being asked to do just now.

Hateley is utter, utter shite and even though he's still young he has plenty of game time under his belt and I don't see him improving. Why he hits every set piece is beyond me.

The biggest problem we have in the team as a whole just now is inexperience at the back. I think Ramsden is passable but he's not strong enough to guide a novice like Cunmins through the game and as a result both of their performances suffer. I know we're not scoring much but three of our starting XI hit double figures last year and I genuinely believe the drought will end soon. However, I don't see a quick fix to the leaky backline.

I agree Carswell should be given a chance but for me its the formation that's the biggest problem!

CD - major weakness,some good defenders but zero experience

CM - major weakness,Lasley past it,Law clueless defensively,zero experience in the rest.

LM - weakness,Murphy is a striker,Law can't play wide as he ALWAYS drifts in,leaving a huge gap

Attack- weakness,Higdon can be isolated,Ojamaa is a creator,McHugh doesn't really impress

Crossing - major weakness,Murph,Humph,Hammell & Hateley are among the worst in the SPL for crossing

What we need is to balance the midfield,protect the defence & still keep an attacking threat.

Personally Id try 3-5-2,

Randolph

Cummins,Ramsden,Hutchinson

Hateley,Carswell,Lasley,Law,Hammell

Ojamaa,Higdon

Protection in numbers for Cd,plus 5 in Mid makes it tougher to play through us. Law is released to rove,link with Hammy + create. 5 in mid plus Ojamaa's movement would give more options for moving the ball quicker in attack. Plan B would be Kerr & ZFA giving useful cover for Hateley & Hammell plus Murph & Humphrey as 2 game changers in attack. Those 2 would provide an option to freshen up attack,inject pace out wide & if a plan C was needed, easily change formation to 3-4-3 or 4-4-2.

Forbes didn't 'get his chance'

There are a number of guys who play every week regardless of a good or bad performance and there are guys that always come off the bench week in week out in McCall's current squad

Regardless of our opinion of Forbes we at least need to be clear that he was not afforded the same chances as a number of others.

He failed to make an impact in some games, agreed. But had very good games and was dropped for the next game when someone's suspension is up.

Same type of treatment is currently being dished out to Carswell.

Message to young guys: doesn't matter how well you do, if my favourite is available for selection, he's in regardless of form

Message to favourites: don't worry your arse about suspensions or poor form, your names on the team sheet if you're available.

• Like 2

Also, as many of our corners ARE hit beyond the far post, why not put someone out there to nod it back in, I thought I saw McCall signalling that to Murphy but he just shrugged.

Thats what pisses me off most. Corners should be whipped in at pace right on top of the goalie with someone standing right in front of him just like my old School gym teacher taught me.

Forbes didn't 'get his chance'

There are a number of guys who play every week regardless of a good or bad performance and there are guys that always come off the bench week in week out in McCall's current squad

Regardless of our opinion of Forbes we at least need to be clear that he was not afforded the same chances as a number of others.

He failed to make an impact in some games, agreed. But had very good games and was dropped for the next game when someone's suspension is up.

Same type of treatment is currently being dished out to Carswell.

Message to young guys: doesn't matter how well you do, if my favourite is available for selection, he's in regardless of form

Message to favourites: don't worry your arse about suspensions or poor form, your names on the team sheet if you're available.

Agree with yer comments about Forbes, got a game when we beat Smeltic 2-0 at the Arc and had a great game,(lucky to stay on the park !) and was on the bench the next game.

We have not replaced Jennings and Mccall is now trying to field a team to suit his favourites and in my opinion leaving us very un balanced in midfield.

Daley and Mchugh substitutions in the last 2 games has not worked and against the Arabs seemed to upset the whole rhythm of the team and at the time bof the first sub the game was still there for the winning.

Daley has been a waste of a contract that we cant afford, and Bob IMHO does not have it and will proably be a star when he joins the Jags in the SPL next season

Carswell and Hetherington wont get a game untill an injury/suspension happens in midfield and Hately will still be in midfield before them.

Again "If yer maw had baws" scenario, we should have taken 4/6 points from the last 2 home games and pish refereering against the Edinburgh teams cost us at least a couple of points and if we could have closed out the games against the Sheep :wallbash: and St midden

we would have been top of the league.

And if Stewart Rennie had nae taken all those extra steps......JP Gordon wasnt a h*n etc etc etc

:wank:

Forbes like many others did not get his fair crack at the whip, his chances in the first team we're few and far between towards the end of his contract. From the Sunday papers his contribution to the Thistle win was impressive, set up 2 goals from corners and scored a screamer. We are crying out for deliveries from set pieces like this!

The problem is we will continue to do this to some of our younger players they play well, like Carswell and Hethrington and get dropped. Page gets farmed out on loan, and all the usual suspects are picked game in, game out regardless of performance.We need to try a new midfield this where we can make improvements.

On Saturday i thought Cummins and Ramsden had better games than they have had of late, hopefully Cummins has learned from his mistakes and will grow in stature.

Some of this criticism is a bit OTT for my money.

A player with Higdons goal scoring ratio must play every minute of every game he's available. It's as simple as that. There's no need to justify his inclusion further by mentioning his defensive work at set pieces. His primary role is to score goals and he's doing it consistently. Nobody else is.

I agree with that. We are struggling to score goals at the moment and the answer to some people is drop our top scorer :lol: . You couldn't make it up.

Listened to the interview with the Partick manager yesterday. Apparently he doesn't have a contract and is playing for bonus money only! Partick also had a crowd of 5200 for the Dunfermline game. They hope to be able to offer him something in January if crowds remain high. Seem to remember he played a lot better for us until we gave him a 3 year deal? Personally I got fed up with him being caught in possession and taking forever to release the ball so maybe the lower pace of that division suits his style.Good luck to him anyway.

Was only highlighting the fact that the guy when on form was probably our most skillful player. With regards to losing the ball and getting caught in possession, yes that may have happened but at least you could bank on him chasing back and trying to win it back, and not shirking from a tackle like our current midfield. We need to try something new in midfield its just not working, too many willing to turn their back on the ball and not chase back.

Edited by bizarro!

Was only highlighting the fact that the guy when on form was probably our most skillful player. With regards to losing the ball and getting caught in possession, yes that may have happened but at least you could bank on him chasing back and trying to win it back, and not shirking from a tackle like our current midfield. We need to try something new in midfield its just not working, too many willing to turn their back on the ball and not chase back.

Do we not have enough issues with the current squad, between us all, that we have to go back and utterly rewrite history?

And I think you may find that I was highlighting that the idea that Ross Forbes, with his now revised ability, fitness, and desire to track back and make a challenge, is an utter non-issue.

He's gone, and sure as all hell has nothing like the drive, fitness or challenging ability of, say....Keith Lasley.

I'm not even touching the thought that Forbes didn't shirk out of challenges.

He's gone, and sure as all hell has nothing like the drive, fitness or challenging ability of, say....Keith Lasley.

Much of the problem is that Lasley is an excellent complimentary midfielder to a Leitch or a Jennings but as the main man he doesn't cut the mustard. Never was the quickest into the tackle anyway, hence all his yellows.

Seems like a nice fella though, and awffy handsome.wub.gif