A Worse Game

Frazzie

Nothing to do with the performance or result- a draw at home to Hearts is no disaster and we deserved a point- but it's been in my mind that the entire UK potentially watched that match and it was horribly low in entertainment value. I can't remember a meaningful shot on target for either team and it looked like both sides were happy not to lose.

Can anyone think of a less watchable match? The one that always springs to mind for me was the mid-season friendly with IFK Gotenburg about fifteen years ago but in the circumstances that was destined to be dull. Today's game was a competitive fixture between two teams who should be vying for second place and the fixture offered nothing.

So, on that basis, have we played out a worse football match than today?

From off the top of my head:

Higdon had a header saved by their keeper from Humphrey's cross in the 1st half

Murphy putting Higdon 1 on 1 with their keeper but Higdon tried to go round him instead of shooting, Murphy's rebound was blocked for a corner.

Murphy putting a free header from about 10 yards out over the bar from a Hateley corner.

Humphrey hit the bar(yes I know it was a shit cross).

Humphrey cut inside after roasting the full back and forced another decent save by their keeper.

From the resulting corner Ojamaa's knock down should have been buried by Higdon who sclaffed his volley from 12 yards out.

Can only mind Randolph's save from Stevenson's freekick and the free header at the corner at the end for Hearts right enough.

Yeh we weren't great and Hearts came for a point and it was a fairly dull match but come on to fuck it wasn't that bad. We put in plenty of performances like that each and every season. They're are part and parcel of football. I can think of many a dull 0-0 and other such games we've been involved in over the years and created less chances than we did today and indeed been less chances in the match as a whole. None of the above chances were 'great' chances apart from maybe Higdon's two in the 2nd half but even if we'd taken just one of those on another day we could have gone on to score a few more goals and won comfortably. I'd actually argue this game was a better overall game than the one at Tynecastle just a few weeks ago actually for example.

I think the OP and some people on here in general are overeacting to a shit game but they happen all over the world. I sat and watched Arsenal against Villa also today and it was every bit as dull as our game. Never mind the fact that there were plenty of players on that pitch earning more this week than our boys earn in a year it was shit, dull game devoid of excitement. They happen in every league, every week all over the world.

• Like 1

If you put your mind to it you could probably come up with one, possibly two a season like that.

I'm thinking 0-0 v Dundee Utd last season, albeit the wind played a big part in ruining that or McCall's first game in charge at Accies in recent times.

Going quite a way back I actually remember being so sure that a live game with Hibs on a Friday night years ago was going to be a shitter that off the back of betting on a nil-nil, draw HT/FT and no goalscorer winning enough to cover a day out to Carlisle the following day for their derby with Preston. And guess what the score at that game was!!!

• Like 1

I've not listened to the radio for years. I just thought it was a terrible game devoid of any entertainment. A long-range header comfortably saved is the only time there was anything even close to a goal, and the main talking point is about whether a goalie caught someone with his leg during a routine save.

I'm not being particularly negative- as I said its a decent point and I believe we can kick on, but I don't see many neutrals around the country watching yesterdays game from start to finish.

II don't see many neutrals around the country watching yesterdays game from start to finish.

It would be interesting to see the audience figures for the beginning, middle and end of the match. In saying that, very few neutrals would have tuned in to this game anyway. If they did, they probably wont watch any Motherwell or Hearts games ever again.

I've not listened to the radio for years. I just thought it was a terrible game devoid of any entertainment. A long-range header comfortably saved is the only time there was anything even close to a goal, and the main talking point is about whether a goalie caught someone with his leg during a routine save.

Like others have said I did not think it was a terrible game. As stated in a post above there were half a dozen chances for Motherwell that may have resulted in a goal. Fact is that Hearts are a stuffy side with a strong and capable defence as the stats back up. It was never going to be a thriller.

I thought Hutch and Humphrey were very good. Sure Humphrey could have done better at times but he was our main threat and put in 2 or 3 very good crosses. Easy to see why he won the Skyt MOTM.

I agree with Finlay - to me the Ross County game away was woeful and much worse than yesterdays game.

I think we disagree on the definition of a chance. I don't think there was a single clear-cut one in the full game.

And, again, my post wasn't about how good or bad the performance was- just about how entertaining it was. If we go to Tannadice and play out another snooze fest but grab the three points there will be nobody happier than me!

It was a rotten game in a run of rotten games. If it was a one off it wouldn't be so bad. Four out of the six matches I've been to this season have been dire.

I think something like 8 out of 12 teams in the SPL have seen an increase in attendances this season and we are one of the odd ones out who's crowds have decreased quite a bit.

You don't have to be a genius to work out why.

I think we disagree on the definition of a chance. I don't think there was a single clear-cut one in the full game.

And, again, my post wasn't about how good or bad the performance was- just about how entertaining it was. If we go to Tannadice and play out another snooze fest but grab the three points there will be nobody happier than me!

In fact what you originally said was "is the only time there was anything even close to a goal"

Either way taking your second post

Higdons header in the first was a clear cut chance and decent save IMHO

Humphreys cut inside and shot was a clear cut chance and good save

Higdon one on one with the goalie, whilst not clear cut goes down as a chance

Higdons effort and sclaffed volley on the penalty spot was a chance

Your are right I think we will agree to disagree on this occasion

See all this 'talking up the game' stuff it is more often than not done and requested by people who pull a wage from our national sport in one way or another...nonsense imo. Lets be honest about what we see, the 'state' of our national game, and the 'quality' of football that is on show. How is anything going to improve if we are not brutally honest?

• Like 1

See all this 'talking up the game' stuff it is more often than not done and requested by people who pull a wage from our national sport in one way or another...nonsense imo. Lets be honest about what we see, the 'state' of our national game, and the 'quality' of football that is on show. How is anything going to improve if we are not brutally honest?

My nomination for Post of the Year.

I was only talking down one match. Bloody hell.

There is a lot of pant-wetters on here who will never, ever say anything negative or critical about anything to do with MFC on or off the park and there has been, is, and always will be plenty of shortcomings at our club. Likewise any other club.

I was only talking down one match. Bloody hell.

There is a lot of pant-wetters on here who will never, ever say anything negative or critical about anything to do with MFC on or off the park and there has been, is, and always will be plenty of shortcomings at our club. Likewise any other club.

Not having a go Frazzie and I do agree that it was not a great spectacle for watching fans either at FirPark or watching on Sky. For me though what counts is the application and effort of the players. For all their lack of skill at times yesterday I did not feel they were lacking in their efforts to win the game. Many teams will struggle to break down that Hearts defence.

Had to laugh at the phrase panty wetters. I would normally associate that phrase with posters that are bemoaning everything that is going wrong at Mother well, not those that are trying to stick up for the players and their efforts this season.

TBH Because lying about the state of the game "makes it better". It is how the Premiership went from a meh, it's OK to supposedly the best league in the world, which if anyone who has ESPN knows it's not even in the top 3 that they show for entertainment or technical quality.