The State Of The Park........stadium Grow Light Concept.

PettyWulliegrew

Why artificial playing surfaces aren't allowed in the SPL is a total mystery. My dad was telling me that they were near queueing round the block to play on their plastic surface. Its a brilliant idea, the one at Hamilton/Dunfermline was as good as a real surface, so whats the problem?

From a business point of view, it'd be a brilliant money spinner for the club. I know I'd love to pay with another 21 mates to play at Fir Park for an hour or two.

Why artificial playing surfaces aren't allowed in the SPL is a total mystery. My dad was telling me that they were near queueing round the block to play on their plastic surface. Its a brilliant idea, the one at Hamilton/Dunfermline was as good as a real surface, so whats the problem?

Not that simple I'm afraid. I can't speak for Hamilton but Dunfermline installed it purely for commercial reasons. The surface was shocking and the players hated it as they picked up more injuries. Big Terry said in fact that when we were playing at East End Park there were some players he couldn't pick because of it. I recall one CIS Cup game there played in freeezing conditions and the all weather surface was anything but. The ball would hit it then ricchet off it at unpredictable angles.

A good idea but we're not quite there yet.

Not that simple I'm afraid. I can't speak for Hamilton but Dunfermline installed it purely for commercial reasons. The surface was shocking and the players hated it as they picked up more injuries. Big Terry said in fact that when we were playing at East End Park there were some players he couldn't pick because of it. I recall one CIS Cup game there played in freeezing conditions and the all weather surface was anything but. The ball would hit it then ricchet off it at unpredictable angles.

A good idea but we're not quite there yet.

Put in my place then. :P

The technology isn't far away though, I don't remember hearing bad things about the Hamilton pitch, didn't England and Russia play on an artificial pitch as well?

Can someone in the know explain exactly what has gone wrong? I take it the undersoil heating was never properly repaired and the tonnes of clay under it are still there. Why is the hot air bubble destroying the grass?

I'm not asking so I can have an informed greet and moan. Was just hoping if we can all ascertain the problem with the pitch, then hopefully we can work out a solution.

Grow Light bulbs and a decent artificial surface are two sound suggestions.

Put in my place then. :P

The technology isn't far away though, I don't remember hearing bad things about the Hamilton pitch, didn't England and Russia play on an artificial pitch as well?

It was well known at the Hamilton Advertiser at the time that the Accies players hated playing on the artificial pitch, but the paper were too scared to print that in case the top brass at the club fell out with them.

I presume the balloon is melting the frost and creating a lot of moisture on the pitch, which, when trained upon as it's the only field in the area that isn't frozen, causes it to cut up helluva easy.

Spoke with a groundsman and he told me the problem with the pitch is that due to the bubble being up and hot air blasting away 24/7 the pitch is as dry as a witches tit, therefore it cuts up easily. I'm told that once the frosty weather lifts the covers will come off and old mother nature will take over. It'll all be yesterdays news the morra. :P

Spoke with a groundsman and he told me the problem with the pitch is that due to the bubble being up and hot air blasting away 24/7 the pitch is as dry as a witches tit, therefore it cuts up easily. I'm told that once the frosty weather lifts the covers will come off and old mother nature will take over. It'll all be yesterdays news the morra. :lol:

Cheers. So basically hot air bubbles don't work.

Someone says the team are training on it as well. Is there no all weather surface somewhere local? For instance, Bathgate Acadmy has a good artificial pitch that is well used by various clubs.