Motherwell Vs Ict... 17/08/13

Well 4 Europe

I've a bad feeling Faddy is basically just done. There is no reason he should be unfit unless carrying an injury. He's unfortunately back to his petulant worst where every time he loses the ball he thinks he's been fouled. It's funny because despite all the excitement when it became apparent he might actually sign on for another year, it is becoming more apparent that our level was probably his only option. And never mind all this playing out of position nonsense, if Faddy was as good as we all thought (still think/hope he was) playing on the right wing would not be a problem. Hope I'm wrong!

Is Faddy really that unfit or is it another John Spencer situation?

Lawson seems to be the fall guy for no reason here. Hooked in 2 games and left out of one altogether. Anybody that thinks Carswell is better than Lawson is seriously deluded.

Lawson seems to be the fall guy for no reason here. Hooked in 2 games and left out of one altogether. Anybody that thinks Carswell is better than Lawson is seriously deluded.

not really wanting to get into slating him, but Lawson has his flaws, particularly costing us goals attempting world cup passes or dribbling when he should be clearing

I think he needs time in the team, but I'd be equally happy if Carswell got the game time as well

Indeed it is, and I'm fully able to admit that I'm overcritical at times. I can be so, especially due to the level of performance to which I have become accustomed in the last five or so years. I've been spoiled, yes, but I'm just not willing to watch us sink down the rankings without some form of critical discussion, at least.

But that's exactly the problem. Literally dozens of posts from people who weren't even at the game just spewing abuse and condemnation towards certain players and the manager.

There's hardly any critical discussion on here.

We've had a bad start to the season and that cannot be ignored. I'd be pissed off if people did keep posting ridiculously optimistic trite cliches and blindly preaching that things are bound to improve soon.

However, the chat in this thread and almost every other thread on these forums these days are spiteful, abusive, exaggerated, pathetic and sad. We, as a collective group, sound like the Old Firm fans who cannot accept anything other than perfection. It's embarrassing.

Eddie's spot on. There are far too many fuds and scudbooks on here. Problem is, if you call them on it, you get accused of being a happy clapper.

• Like 8

However, the chat in this thread and almost every other thread on these forums these days are spiteful, abusive, exaggerated, pathetic and sad. We, as a collective group, sound like the Old Firm fans who cannot accept anything other than perfection. It's embarrassing.

Eddie's spot on. There are far too many fuds and scudbooks on here. Problem is, if you call them on it, you get accused of being a happy clapper.

To be fair it goes the other way too , dummys were out when McFadden wasnt picked in the Scotland squad at the end of the season there , folk were touting him for the Ballon d'Or , we signed McManus and two guys with one SPL season each in them and folk were saying we were ready for world domination. Two wins in a row and it will be back to that as well.

There are more clowns on here than Billy Smart's facebook friends list but anyone who takes this too seriously needs a good shake , its only the internet ...

To be fair it goes the other way too , dummys were out when McFadden wasnt picked in the Scotland squad at the end of the season there , folk were touting him for the Ballon d'Or , we signed McManus and two guys with one SPL season each in them and folk were saying we were ready for world domination. Two wins in a row and it will be back to that as well.

Totally agree.

However, Special compared a fans' forum to a pub. People come in and discuss their views on the team, the game, etc. If there's a group of them at a table being obscenely positive and crowing about how Motherwell are going to win the Europa League, you'd just laugh at their naivety. Ultimately, they might be a bit annoying but they're not doing any harm and you could easily carry on enjoying your time and your pint.

However, if the pub is full of spiteful, vitriolic, depressing people who cannot wait to express their angst and only stop abusing the players and manager to briefly start arguing amongst themselves, well, that's a pretty shitty place to be sat in.

• Like 1

Think Faddy exceeded all expectations last season as we didn't know what to expect fitness wise.

Doesn't appear to have progressed at all since the kuban game but not entirely sure whether that is down to fitness, attitude or lack of quality around him.

Given the lack of creativity in the team, we really need to move him up front and see what he can do. Some of his best play for Motherwell previously came in a front two with Stuart Elliott. Think it's time to play him in a mobile front two or three and see what he can do. Imo, we're better off without Sutton at the moment as the long ball stuff will never work.

Almost 10 years since McFadden scored a farewell brace at home to Partick Thistle. Hopefully he can kick off his season next weekend and start to inspire those around him.

But that's exactly the problem. Literally dozens of posts from people who weren't even at the game just spewing abuse and condemnation towards certain players and the manager.

There's hardly any critical discussion on here.

We've had a bad start to the season and that cannot be ignored. I'd be pissed off if people did keep posting ridiculously optimistic trite cliches and blindly preaching that things are bound to improve soon.

And you help the discussion by...not mentioning the team at all?

I know what you're saying, and I agree, in terms of feast v famine, but there's no addition to any critical discussion in this post.

Anyway back onto the football..

I see McCall said in his post match interview that he still needs a pacey winger, not trying to be funny but surely there must be someone in the U'20's that's a pacey winger? Is that wee guy that went to Morecambe, Paul McCafferty not a fairly nippy right winger? Now I don't know if he'll make the step up but surely it would be better to give the young boy a chance for the last 15 mins than bring Fraser Kerr on at right wing like we did against Aberdeen last week?

Today for example we had three strikers on the bench; Anier, Moore and Erwin. Why? We were never going to use/need all three. Despite the fact he's been on the bench a few times Erwin's never even made an appearance yet and Moore's only played 10 mins in Russia. Again however we brought on a full back in ZFA to play a left wing role. Our wide men have created bugger all so far, surely one of the younger boys who's a natural winger couldn't do any worse or at the very least be a better attacking option off the bench than putting fucking full backs on the wing.

Also Craig Moore notched 7 goals in 12 games for Cowdenbeath last season yet despite our scoring problems he can barely get a sniff. I noticed he scored another double again for the U'20's in midweek. Now I know service hasn't been great so far but Sutton has started 4 games without scoring, McHugh has started two and came off the bench a few times and not really impressed, surely Moore must be due a bit of game time soon?

We may have a fairly thin squad with a few young laddies in it but why not give one or two the chance to impress? Surely got to be better than having square pegs in round holes. We have a fairly experienced starting 11, perhaps an injection of youth could add a spark to the team that's been badly missing, who knows. It might even give one or two the boot up the arse they look like they need.

Just a thought of mine having watched 4 or of our 5 games so far.

• Like 3

It may have changed since the formation of the SPFL, but certainly there used to be an obligation to have (two I think it was) U21 players on the bench.

Doesn't detract from the point you are making ofcourse but for so many years there were so many young players stuck on benches that had as much chance of getting on as you or i, simply to satisfy SPL rules.

Faddy was good on the right last season because the rest of the players around him were quick and always breaking when we had possession which opened up space. This season when he gets the ball the quick break isn't on and he has to do it all on his own. With the current lack of pace the only place McFadden will recapture last seasons form is playing up top or just behind the striker where he'll be picking up the ball alot closer to goal in the first place. It seems so obvious from watching us but who do you play at right mid instead?

And you help the discussion by...not mentioning the team at all?

I know what you're saying, and I agree, in terms of feast v famine, but there's no addition to any critical discussion in this post.

:lol: Someone's in a good mood!

Actually, I do help the discussion when I don't mention the team at all - because I wasn't at the game and therefore can't possibly comment on how they performed today.

You know fine why I said what I said and what it was in response to. Behave yourself.

:lol: Someone's in a good mood!

Actually, I do help the discussion when I don't mention the team at all - because I wasn't at the game and therefore can't possibly comment on how they performed today.

You know fine why I said what I said and what it was in response to. Behave yourself.

Right enough, I hold my hands up, you didn't rise to it, and fair play, I'm caught laugh.gif

I actually agree with you. The issue for me is that any negativity and any positivity just turns into a flame war, as opposed to a discussion. For instance, I could type here that Hammell looked a bit dodgy, and in four posts he'd be the antichrist, and in eight, he'd be the messiah. I wasn't even AT the game! If folk would just add around...fuck...eight words of description as to why they've formed an opinion, this forum would at least be interesting!

• Like 1

Getting a bit fed up with the amount of times we hear Faddy isn't fit. About time the question was asked why he isn't fit. He's had the same pre season and game time as everyone else so why are they fit & he's not? If it was any other player they would've been dropped by now but Faddy seems untouchable and it's not helping the team at all. As for the notion of you can't drop him as he is the only player we have who could pull something out the hat well so far in all the games he's played he has done the square root of hee haw and all that's happening is his confidence will be getting lower & lower as his frustration rises. If Faddy isn't fit he should be dropped pure & simple & who knows maybe it will improve the team & then when's he fit he will come back as the player we know he can be.

• Like 2

Getting a bit fed up with the amount of times we hear Faddy isn't fit. About time the question was asked why he isn't fit. He's had the same pre season and game time as everyone else so why are they fit & he's not? If it was any other player they would've been dropped by now but Faddy seems untouchable and it's not helping the team at all. As for the notion of you can't drop him as he is the only player we have who could pull something out the hat well so far in all the games he's played he has done the square root of hee haw and all that's happening is his confidence will be getting lower & lower as his frustration rises. If Faddy isn't fit he should be dropped pure & simple & who knows maybe it will improve the team & then when's he fit he will come back as the player we know he can be.

The reason for me is that we have no-one else able to competently play in the right midfield position that he's currently occupying. The only vague bonus thus far (no idea as to today) has been that as disastrous as he's been, he's trying to play his way out of it, rather than hiding. I agree, he should be benchward bound, especially if unfit, but we need to cover his position first.

Is it not the case that last season teams couldn't really afford to double up on McFadden as if they did that Ojamaa, Humphrey or Law could hurt them? This season teams figure if they shut him down, they've got us beaten. Even first time around, he had guys like Elliott and Pearson to share the burden. But it was noticeable at the start of the second half against Kuban that they committed two or three heavy fouls on him, almost saying "right, target him, he's the threat".

As for the fitness issue, he missed the first week of preseason before we went to Spain. Perhaps the time when the most intensive fitness work was done? He should have caught up by now though.

For me, the fitness issue is secondary. The issue is less to do with that and the fact he's playing on the wing and more to do with the fact he's shouldering all of our attacking responsibility. He needs others to take the heat off him a bit...

Well, obviously there's Hollis, but it's looking like Lawson could be a contender as well.

I was expecting McCall to be getting more of a slagging. These boys haven't done much wrong.

For me, McCall is just sending 11 bodies out on the park and hoping that he can get away with it. Simple as that.

Why he signed 2 Centre Mids to add to the two we have I don't know. Eithier he thought he could shoe-horn one of them into another position or he never done his research and thought Vigurs was a left winger. Both of which are criminal for a fitba manager!

We need to go out and get an entire right hand side this week. Loans, promote youth, whatever. And we need to start playing Faddy in the middle. Get a right winger and stick Faddy up top slightly behind Anier. Then we would see a different Well side.