Motherwell V St Johnstone 1/1/14

GazzyB

Not sure about the line-up for this one. If Hutchy's fit then I suppose he has to come back in, with Ramsden at RB and Carsy back into midfield. Who drops out though? ZFA or Vigurs would be my guess. One of those two out left, Las & Carsy in midfield and Ainsworth out right? A bit of a headache for McCall, really hope he keeps Faddy up front.

As for the scoreline, it's gonna be a tough game and I'd prrrrrobably take a point if offered. BUT we're on a good run, so I'm gonna say 3-2 to us, with Faddy, Anier & Ainsworth.

Is Hutchy due back? If he is I would put him in for Ramsden and leave the rest as it was. Ramsden had a nightmare start at Firhill, running about at their first corner not knowing who to pick up, and then a poor pass to set up the attack for thistles goal, and coming too deep to play them onside, leaving it too easy for the 2 passes leading to a goal. Saints are very capable up front and we cannot afford to be slack. Looking forward to a good passing game with a few goals a fair possibility.

Mon the Well

Really difficult team to call.

Hutchie will come back and although Carsy did well at RB for me you've got to put Ramsden out there.

Catsu moves in to the middle of the park and then it's a call as to drop Angol or Vigurs - not one i'd like to make.

Faddy has to stay in after Firhill.

Sutty for Anier makes sense.

St. Johnstone are coming off a good result against Dundee United but their away form this season has been really poor so I'll be expecting a win in this match.

Away from home St. Johnstone are P8 W1 D3 L4 and their only away win was at Hearts. They have also failed to score in 5 of those 8 away matches.

Looking at it St. Johnstone are a different team on their own patch than they are on the road and we really need to be thinking about picking up nothing but 3 points from this one.

• Like 1

team selection is going to be difficult, and although we scored 5 we need to take into account, St J are far superior than what Thistle are

if we play the same way, its difficult to play Sutton IMO - Faddy played in the hole and was really allowed a free role, leaving Anier upfront himself, Sutton will run all day for us, but Anier has more pace either to take a man on or chase things down

I can't see him dropping Faddy - after Thursdays performance, a confident Faddy is a good one to have in the team

But its a nice headache to have, instead of us saying he's shite, he's shite and we should be bringing in x, y and z

think May will need to be given some treatment, maybe not in the Goodwin category, but nonetheless, he needs to know he isnt going to get it easy

Right conundrum for McCall. Hutchison returns which will see Ramsden move to right back, although he has been helluva impressive in the middle.

Against St Johnstone, the defence will need more protection in front of them so I assume we'll see the usual pairing of Lasley and Carswell.

So who plays on the left - Vigurs or ZFA? Shame that there is only space for 1 as they both benefited from playing alongside each other in conjunction with a roaming Faddy. Maybe take a risk and rest Hammell, with ZFA providing the width from full back and Vigurs tucking in.

Then upfront, do you play Anier or Sutton alongside Faddy? Tough call but Anier and Faddy look a right handful together if they are on their game.

Great to have options all of a sudden. In for a tough game though, Hasselbaink always a handful, the boy Edwards looks a danger and May appears to be the real deal.

Remember we humped St. Mirren at Fir Park without McFadden and gave a very good performance.

Wouldn't surprise me if we reverted to that formation again since it worked so well at Fir Park.

I tend to agree with the 'don't change a winning side' argument but it will depend on knocks and fitness and McCall being a conservative coach I can't see him leaving out guys like Hutchinson and Sutton who are stalwarts for us.

McCall has some difficult decisions to make for this one. Does he stick with the same starting 11 that played so well against Thistle or does he mix it up a little? If possible I would stick with with the same starting 11, however, I am sure McCall will have his own thoughts on how to handle St Johnstone. If we can keep May under control we have a real chance of taking all 3 points which would set us up nicely for Big Yogi's first return to the Ark since the 6-6 Hibs game. God I am so pleased Caley chose him to be their new boss. yahoo.gifthumbup.gifyahoo.gif

2-0 to the Well.

St. Johnstone are coming off a good result against Dundee United but their away form this season has been really poor so I'll be expecting a win in this match.

Away from home St. Johnstone are P8 W1 D3 L4 and their only away win was at Hearts. They have also failed to score in 5 of those 8 away matches.

Looking at it St. Johnstone are a different team on their own patch than they are on the road and we really need to be thinking about picking up nothing but 3 points from this one.

Agree with the reasoning above but on the flip we side we have now won 4 league games on the trot. Have we ever won 5 or 6 league games in a row? Thinking of both this game and the inverness game coming up.

lobey dosser ..i agree with you about stevie may ,, i seen him on the tv when he was on loan at hamilton and he looked very sharp, i even suggested on here that as he was comeing to the end of his st j contract he would be worth a punt , but i was shot down in flames by " all the keyboard fitbaw players " on here .. just saying like but 3-1 the well