Motherwell V St Johnstone 1/1/14

GazzyB

It's no wind up, and in answer to your question, yes I would swap places with St.Mirren in that I'd take a League Cup win over qualifying for Europe any day of the week.

I am sorry but that is utter bollox. You and a few others on here would be on suicide watch if we had the same results as St Mirren the last 5 or so years.

We would all like to win Silverware but I would not swap sustained success in the league for a cup win once in 20-30 years like St Mirren.

Motherwell FC have been the 3rd best team in the top flight the last 10 years. On our budget that is the best we could have achieved and better than we dared to expect. If you are still negative after that then I and many others on here give up.

• Like 1

Magnificent performance, every single player excelled and it was a joy to watch. Couldn't pick a man of the match as everyone really was that good.

I'd like to see McManus's volley again. Would be an embarrassing mistake if the ref/linesman got that wrong just like the Hibs game last season. Nae excuses. At least it didnt prove costly.

I actually thought St Johnstone looked quite good and it wasn't until we scored our 3rd that I sorted of started to relax!

Can't stand Murray Davidson and Fraser Wright and no surprise both of them get n quite a few cynical fouls. Pair of dirty gets.

Wonder what will happen to the goalie? Would be a shame if he left and the run ended. Obviously. Is it a coincidence this great run has coincided with a confident and capable keeper in goals?

Only downside of yesterday was the crowd. Really really poor. If we want to keep Ainsworth, Anier etc then folk are going to have to turn up. The cup exit is in the past, the players and management have responded wonderfully, it's time for the fans to do their bit. I don't buy the "money, time of year, other options" excuses. Every other clubs fans are just the same yet we've probably got the worst crowds in the league.

Anyway, good times.

i know 5 folk that would have been at the game yesterday as normal but couldnt make it due to being skint or unable to get public transport so your talking pish if you dont think some folk had valid reasons for missing this game.our fixture was always going to be the worst crowd due to the fact the others are all seen as derby games so no surprise there.

I nearly wimped out because i slept in and woke up with a stinking hangover!! Glad I dragged my arse along though because we were brilliant. Vigurs had his best game for us yet, and I have been critical of him in the past but when he's in the mood ainsworth is a real player!

Our season is not over but it has to be said it would be much more exciting if we were still in the cups, especially the way we've played recently.

Anyway onwards and upwards, a good second half to the league and a good team to build on for next season will do me.

Just watched the highlights on MFCTV and how Vigurs got one of the man of the match awards over Ainsworth I'll never be able to understand

Because the people that awarded it watched the entire game, not just the highlights?

Plenty of folk on here thought it was a close call between those 2 for MoTM.

What a shallow fucking comment by Delboy re MOTM

Yeah you judge a game by the highlights. Which would show primarily our attacks.

A defender would never win a MOTM award ever again

Surely a match lasts 90 mins involves defending, keeping possession, building moves attacking etc.

Highlights last a couple of minutes and surely just show the main bits of attacking play.

• Like 2

Just another angle on the attendance argument. I live in the borders area and whilst being far from drunk early Wednesday morning I was wary of driving so having a match on a day when there was no public transport was a poor decision. How many others were in the same category.

+1

Because the people that awarded it watched the entire game, not just the highlights?

To be fair to Delboy he was at the game, I should know I was sitting next to him. Lol And he would be the first one to admit that he is not Vigurs biggest fan. laugh.gif

I thought Vigurs had a great game, however I did vote for Ainsworth in the MotM poll.

To be fair to Delboy he was at the game, I should know I was sitting next to him. Lol And he would be the first one to admit that he is not Vigurs biggest fan. laugh.gif

I thought Vigurs had a great game, however I did vote for Ainsworth in the MotM poll.

Based on his posts, he doesn't actually watch them when he's there though, right?

Just another angle on the attendance argument. I live in the borders area and whilst being far from drunk early Wednesday morning I was wary of driving so having a match on a day when there was no public transport was a poor decision. How many others were in the same category.

I'm an ST holder but didn't make the game due to similar reasons.

Loads of folk would just be having a new year family dinner.

only 3 out of 7 of our season tickets were used for that very reason

only the club know if the crowd was 'bad' if it was mainly season ticket holders that were missing it could have actually meant more cash than a normal game v ST Johnstone

Plenty of folk on here thought it was a close call between those 2 for MoTM.

I saw the whole game and watching the highlights only reinforced what I thought when I was watching the game

Unfortunately I can't speak for Delboy, only he can explain his opinion of Vigurs, although I can confirm that he does face the general direction of the pitch during the games.

I'll start to rethink my opionon on Vigurs when he start to tackel and track back when the well are under presure and I'd see more of the game if I didn't have head in hands listening to you moan ;)

only the club know if the crowd was 'bad' if it was mainly season ticket holders that were missing it could have actually meant more cash than a normal game v ST Johnstone

The same Fir Park fixture last season(11th August) attracted a crowd of 4,490 The game on the 20th Jan attracted a crowd of 3,649 according to Wiki.

and I'd see more of the game if I didn't have head in hands listening to you moan ;)

At least I am not moaning about MotM Vigurs. The guy will go on to become a Fir Park legend and I can already visualise a large banner with his face on positioned in one of the corners of the pitch. Mon the Vigurs! ;)thumbup.gif

How things change - folk can't make a game due to a steak pie dinner.

Back in 1999, we had 8,500 at Fir Park for the visit of Kilmarnock on New Year's Day.

Hard to put a finger on it, however, our average attendance throughout the years hasn’t risen much above 5 to 5,500, however, the low crowd the other day was probably more to do with the opposition and timing of the game.

Killie v st mirren had 5,500 there today and Inverness v Ross county had 4,500 yesterday so steak pie dinners, timing etc must effect Motherwell fans more than others....

Our crowds are embarrassing, it doesn't matter which way you splice it. The above mentioned would kill for our current and recent years form as well.