Dundee United V Motherwell 21/02/14

milo

We started well but United took control and are well worth their 2-0 lead and we're lucky that's all that is at this stage. We look unfit and well off the pace which is understandable to an extent given our pre match fitness conceens. That said our defending for both goals was nothing sort of shoddy and while Vigurs was denied by a superb save and we had a decent penalty shout turned down we really can have no complaints as we've been second best throughout.

If this only finishes 2-0 we'll be lucky.

Were fuckin woeful. Its times like this McCall's mentality really bites us,instead of playing fit younger players when were struggling with injuries he persists in patching up the walking wounded and shuffling round his preferred players to alien positions.

Terrible short termism that could really kick us up the arse if guys like Lasley break down from being played when not fit.

Sutton just scored.

Terrible short termism that could really kick us up the arse if guys like Lasley break down from being played when not fit.

Sutton just scored.

Exactly. Lasley is pretty much the heart and soul of our team,Id rather lose him for 1 or 2 games than risk losing him for 6 or 7 due to playing him at half fitness

In all honesty for all the possesion untd have had none of their goals have been from sparkling open play. We have gifted them 3 by shite defending all very preventable, tbe best chance of the game was from Vigurs and needed a great save to keep it out. So a bad result tonight but dont forget we are still 6 ahead of them with a game in hand...onwards and upwards

Full time 3-1 and we can have no complaints about that.

Unfit, off the pace and defended poorly are the only ways to describe our performance. The only saving grace is that United took their foot off the gas at 3-0 when the points were secure but don't let that disguise the fact that they were well worth their win and we were poor.

I'm a fan of playing kids, but throwing in a bunch against an on-form Utd at Tannadice is not the time or place.

There is a big difference between throwing in a bunch of kids and giving a young player (right back/left mid for example) a chance, while still keeping shape and balance to the team when our squad is depleted.

Bit of a disappointing trip but part of me expected it tbh.

I think what is coming to the fore is that when we set up to be a bit defensive we always make an arse of it because of stupid immature defensive lapses. Hutchinson had about ten options, passing back should have been the last one. Second goal, we left two guys unmarked and although there may have been a foul we need to look after ourselves first. I don't think Lasley and Carswell were at their best and no matter what we did we were damned, untested could have been overrun unfit were. Hopefully the injuries ease for Tuesday and we can kick on and get something without further setbacks between now and then. Unfortunate we seem to have had these injury crises against our direct opponent for third.

Pretty grim stuff. No pace or creativity going forward, pedestrian and too may hopeful balls forward.

Few quick points before I go..

• Keith, even with one good leg was still our best player.
  • Carswell and Vigurs were miles off the pace, contributed little and you have to wonder if either was actually fit?
  • Nielsen wasn't actually at fault for any of the goals and for me was actually fairly solid with one good save in particular during the 2nd half.
  • I'm a fan of Ainsworth but he was absolutely fucking shocking tonight. The rest weren't much better mind.
  • Reid should start on Tuesday, makes a huge difference having a natural right back and Hammell back on his natural side. Also gets ZFA out of defence as his positional sense and awareness is dreadful.

I'm off to drink until I forget that one. Poor stuff.