Motherwell V Hearts 01/03/14

Yabba's Turd

Undue force? Tackled like that are acted on week in week out

Looking at it again, it's not actually Paterson's momentum that brings him down. He gets his foot in front of the ball as Faddy hits the shot. Faddys own momentum sends him over the ball. It looks worse than it is.

I'd greet if a quality last ditch tackle like that was now a foul.

• Like 5

Looking at it again, it's not actually Paterson's momentum that brings him down. He gets his foot in front of the ball as Faddy hits the shot. Faddys own momentum sends him over the ball. It looks worse than it is.

I'd greet if a quality last ditch tackle like that was now a foul.

Absolutely. The perfect tackle by Patterson.

• Like 1

I looked at Jambos Kickback earlier in the week to see the reaction (strangely accepting but generally wanting rid of Locke) and saw a thread on this. It's a bit before my time but reading the report I can see why it would still bring back horrible memories. It had a link to highlights if you really want to put yourself through the wringer.

Oh god no - scarred me as a child did that result - like underboyle formed my extreme dislike of the Jambo's as a result of those games. Note the crowd and the passing comment on the 'fighting' - doesn't do it justice - it was like a war zone from beginning to end.

Any footage of the next instalment - the 'Jim McCabe' game (hat-rick, a 4-2 victory and 37 arrests, game stopped on several occasions and police dogs let off the leash by their handlers) Those were the days. Think that might have been the following season's Texaco Cup Quarter-Final.

Just over 43 years ago this happened. :( Even now it still hurts and that’s why I still go mental when we beat them.

Did they not go on and let down the country by losing in the final?

Those Texaco Cup games were the berries (well, most of them were).

They lost the final to Wolves 3-2. Airdrie also lost in the final the year after, going down 2-1 against Derby County. Sadly no Scottish team ever won the Texaco Cup.

Did Hearts not do us in the semi of the Anglo-Scottish one year too and then lose to one of the Bristol teams?

Wasn't as much into that as it was a watered down version of the Texaco competition.

How did teams qualify for the texaco cup? Was it the teams just below European qualification? That game was a couple of months before I was born so it's slightly before my time but I've heard all about the games, particularly the Spurs game.

I'm like you daver a little before my time but for guys of a certain generation, my old man included, these Texaco/Anglo Scottish Cup games definitely hold a lasting appeal.

He too speaks fondly of that game against Tottenham at Fir Park and I recall him telling me how a group of his mates drove down to Carrow Road for a game against Norwich. Stopped by the polis curious as to why these scarves and lion rampants were covering this motor. "Going to the gemme" they say to the confused English polis.

He's also got a fantastic wee bit of memorabilia where a letter from the club is inviting him to join them on the charter flight to one of the games, which he has autographed by some of the players of the day.