Motherwell V Inverness Ct 19/03/14 Wednesday

Yabba's Turd

Very good win and a very important three points. It might not have been a great performance but Inverness are a decent side and they had their chances in the first half too, except we took our's when it mattered and for the first time this season Nielsen looked competent and pulled off a couple of smart saves. I felt a bit bad for Faddy tonight as he was trying his heart out but nothing came off for him and he looked a frustrated figure when he went off.

All in all it's a good night's work.

We deserved to win but the game never really sparked tonight.

The opening spell I thought Inverness where the better team, we looked sleepy and our passing was poor, while Inverness looked pacy and full of running.

That was the way it was until we scored the first goal, a brilliant ball from Stevie Hammell to Ainsworth that turned a nothing situation into a goal.

The second goal soon after knocked the stuffing out of Inverness and although they had periods where they dominated for a while they never really looked like causing us too many problems. If they had scored one of the two glaring chances just after half time it might have been different but they didn't and it wasn't.

We picked up after the first goal and played some decent football but it never had much edge and we played a bit like a team that knew they were in a comfortable lead.

Apart from the two goals I don't remember either keeper having to make any saves of real note, it was one of those matches when everything was going wide and high.

Not a great or terrible performance but a good win that was an important one to win.

I think we could have gone up a few gears tonight if we'd really had to. The thing I was most nervous about was Carswell being on a yellow.

There was nothing much to post. We scored 2 fine goals and did nothing much else and in the 2nd half it looked like we were the ones who'd played 120 mins on sunday. :mellow:

Watching BBC Alba now. That might well be the case. But if you are mildly disappointed at a home win, 3 points and a rare clean sheet....well....

Been a while since we've had a snoozefest at Fir Park but the 3 points was all that mattered.

Need to step it up a few gears on Saturday as Ross County will have a far bigger appetite for the game than Inverness.

Slightly disappointed not to see a couple of kids in the last 20mins but McCall was understandably intent on shoring things up.

A good result tonight, ICT had a lot of possesion but no cutting edge, i thought Nielsen was good tonight 1 or 2 balls he should have come for but all in a solid performance.

Strange decision by SMC to take Faddy off he was our best player by a distance tonight and leave Ainsworth on !!! As he had contributed feck all after he scored.

But 2 goals, a clean sheet and joint 2nd in the league a good nights work by the team.

• Like 1

A good result tonight, ICT had a lot of possesion but no cutting edge, i thought Nielsen was good tonight 1 or 2 balls he should have come for but all in a solid performance.

Strange decision by SMC to take Faddy off he was our best player by a distance tonight and leave Ainsworth on !!! As he had contributed feck all after he scored.

But 2 goals, a clean sheet and joint 2nd in the league a good nights work by the team.

Thought he could have put on Leitch for Carswell after he was booked.

We have three games in 10 days so it didn't do any harm to take off Faddy with the game won.

I was a bit perplexed at the ICT love in on the radio on the way home, thought they were mediocre to poor at best, and apart from one which was cleared off the line by Hutchinson possibly, I cant think of any time Neilson was really troubled. They probably shaded it in the second half but first half we were by far the better team and deserved to win on balance. The media attention was baffling.

Thought a big part of our win today was down to the back 4, Hutchinson and McManus in particular were immense and Hammell's two assists were both fantastic balls! Whole back 4 just didnt give them any change. Also forming the opinion that Reid, whilst not flashy, can cut it at this level.

Also, when have we ever had an out and out winger with so many goals? Does Murphy count? If not then I dont know who! One for the stattos...

I wonder if that's what Faddy was telling SMC when he went off. Seemed to be a fair bit of discussion.

Job done tonight. No thrills, just a hard earned win.

Thought Nielsen was superb as were hutch and McManus. 2 cracking assists from hammell too.

Good to see lasley and carswell back together doing the dirty work, allowing vigurs and ainsworth to go forward more. Great shift again from Sutton.

Faddy worked hard but his end product let him down. Him and Mccall had a right set-to when he was subbed.

• Like 2

Thought Nielsen was superb as were hutch and McManus. 2 cracking assists from hammell too.

Good to see lasley and carswell back together doing the dirty work, allowing vigurs and ainsworth to go forward more. Great shift again from Sutton.

Faddy worked hard but his end product let him down. Him and Mccall had a right set-to when he was subbed.

Would agree with the summation. Ainsworth and Vigurs played well but both dropped out it in the second half so we could had done with some new blood on the park to replace them. That said, McCall made the right change by taking Faddy off. It took away our creativity but shored it up by sticking in an extra midfielder. Good win.

Mostly all of this,

surprised at how many choose to say that Neilsen had nothing to do, selective vision from some I think.

he had some very good saves and mostly solid. assisted by some good defending from all four

Big Hutch was immense, he nearly had the perfect game, clean sheet, last ditch tackles, blocks on the line and was only inches away with that header from the corner.

Ainsworth and Sutty do the business again.

Midfield settled into a decent game, more to come from them I'm sure

Faddy is a brilliant as he is useless at times, but he provides entertainment and a spark.

reckon he probably came out the womb arguing with someone because he didn't get the full 90minutes.

Great three points which is even sweeter against a top 6 side. We played some nice football in the first half and I really thought we would have went for it after the break but after an initial 5 minute impetus we seemed content to sit back and give Inverness the ball. I'm not quite sure what the game plan was at that point. I can only guess that the tactic was to draw them in as they searched for a goal and catch them on the break, which makes sense given the 120 minutes they had played on Sunday. Looked like things weren't quite clicking on the break so I'm guessing our focus became parking the bus for the last 20. Who knows, but it worked.

I think after throwing away a two goal lead in our last game, when we didn't get the third goal tonight after an hour or so McCall decided the most important thing was to make sure we didn't concede and let ICT back in the game. Might not have been pretty the last 20 mins but we did secure our first clean sheet since Tynecastle in early January and more importantly secured all three points.

At the time I wanted a few of the younger boys like Thomas and Moore to get a run out and try get a few more goals but in the end looking back you can't argue with McCall's reasoning. I think if we'd got a third he might have brought some of the younger boys on and we might have got a few more goals but 2-0 is a funny score and after Easter Road I think McCall just wanted to make sure we got the points.

Make no mistake, that was a big win tonight. Well done to McCall and the team for a good, solid win.

• Like 1

Some pass for the first goal. Ainsworth running at full speed didn't even have to break his stride.

I agree about the pass, it was inch perfect. If Ainsworth was as conscientious at running in the opposite direction I don't think he'd frustrate me as much as he does.

All I can say about that game is, glad I wasn't sitting on my own as that second half needed a bit of banter and chat as we seemed to play in pre-season friendly mode at times. No goalmouth action after our second goal in the 35th minute or so.

Gunnar did what he had to, whole defence looked solid, however there were too many hints of a 6 yard box stramash looked as if it could happen. Foran didn't run the show as much after the 70th minute when we kinda had a 5 man midfield. Faddy looked the same as he did in mid September when it wasn't clicking, what impresses me is he is angrier than anyone else about it.

3 points are 3 points though.

Good summing up. We never really needed to get out of 2nd gear and in the second half we concluded it was job done and we invited ICT to do their worst, which they couldn't do. Perhaps we treated them with contempt but they did little to earn respect on the night. Gunnar had 2 or 3 good saves and we took our goals very well. I thought if we had to take Faddy off at all then Craig Moore would have been the obvious replacement. Still ZFA had a good game when he came on. Stuart Carswell has all the attributes to be a good player (decent physiques, very fit) but more often than not he needs to demonstrate a bit more aggression and bite in his game - he did so in flashes last night.

Inverness had plenty of possession but no cutting edge and rarely threatened. Credit to them though, after a gruelling run of games they were still full of energy at time up. A bit disappointed at some of their late and off the ball challenges though and Richie Foran was a very lucky lad to remain on the park after having been yellow carded.. Refereeing was inconsistent and bizarre at times.

Our front 4 are all very capable and skillful players, which is why we have been scoring 2 or more goals in recent SPFL matches.

Ainsworth is so clinical. Almost all his shots are on target and make the goalie make a save. 9 goals and looks like he will score every game at the moment.

Vigurs range of passing is quite possibly the best in the league. Sure it does not come off all the time, but again he usually does find his man. Another sublime pass to Faddy around 55 minutes - was 30 yards forwards over the defender right to Faddy feet, which is all the more impressive as both the defender and Faddy were running.

Faddy end product was not there last night but again his lead up play and ability to get into goalscoring positions from nothing was enjoyable to see on BBC Alba.

Sutton - quality poacher - 18 goals with 9 games to play is better return than most on here thought we would see.

All in all very exciting and that is not mentioning Anier or Craig Moore.

Very much a case of result over performance, although there were a number of positives. Gunnar was tremendous and made a few excellent and crucial saves for us, and generally looked more confident and competent than ever. Despite a slow start it was a great win and we defended well throughout. Going forward we are a real threat. I'd love to see us sign Ainsworth permanently as he's out of contract at Rotherham in the summer. More of the same on Saturday would do me fine.

• Like 1