Bbc Sportsound / Open All Mics

Kmcalpin

Will we get a mention on these radio programmes tonight or will it be a rehash of the usual drivel? Perm any 3 from the following:

What do Gers fans think of the fact that nothing has happened in the last week?

Was Wim Jansen a better manager than Willie Maley at Parkhead?

Do St Mirren fans think that Danny Lennon has done enough to avoid the sack at Paisley?

How good a manager is Alan Archibald - is he a great manager?

Will Aberdeen do the treble?

Is this the best Dundee United team for 40 years? (Cue Lorraine Kelly dominating the airwaves)

Don't forget the John Hughes interview.

Tongue in cheek I know. No mention of us of course.

• Like 2

1395492033[/url]' post='407906']

Will we get a mention on these radio programmes tonight or will it be a rehash of the usual drivel? Perm any 3 from the following:

What do Gers fans think of the fact that nothing has happened in the last week?

Was Wim Jansen a better manager than Willie Maley at Parkhead?

Do St Mirren fans think that Danny Lennon has done enough to avoid the sack at Paisley?

How good a manager is Alan Archibald - is he a great manager?

Will Aberdeen do the treble?

Is this the best Dundee United team for 40 years? (Cue Lorraine Kelly dominating the airwaves)

Don't forget the John Hughes interview.

Tongue in cheek I know. No mention of us of course.

Is Lorraine Kelly a Dundee United fan? She doesn't promote herself enough , that's maybe why I didn't know, if only she got a bit more publicity and exposure

Is Lorraine Kelly a Dundee United fan? She doesn't promote herself enough , that's maybe why I didn't know, if only she got a bit more publicity and exposure

Like Derek McInness.

I think Motherwell could win the Champions league and the media would barely acknowledge it.

We were talking about this on the way to the game yesterday. Imagine St Mirren or St Johnstone had been in Europe 5 seasons out of the last 6, had finished second ahead of all the city clubs last year, sitting second/third all season again and were in with a shout of finishing 'best of the rest' for the THIRD time in a row, again ahead of the city clubs??

In fact never mind fellow provincial clubs like St Mirren doing that, imagine Aberdeen, Hibs or Utd done that!? They would be absolutely creaming themselves silly.

I used to think it was a lot of shite that we get a raw deal in the media but it is noticeable now when you hear the sheer amount of airtime and plaudits the likes of St Johnstone get for consistently finishing BELOW us. Madness.

Don't normally give this much thought, but on the way home yesterday heard praise lavished on St Johnstone for another top six finish. Their crowds aren't that much smaller than ours yet "a wee team" like that was getting credit for the amazing job they continued to do.

I think the fact we continue to finish top four means that it's become the "new normal" for us to be there so not worthy of comment. Other factor might be that we're widely perceived (both by fans and media, rightly or wrongly) as a bigger club than St Johnstone and Inverness CT. Possibly due to our more illustrious history or the fact we've been in the top tier for longer than anyone except Celtic and Aberdeen currently (Hearts are on the same list but not for long). Never going to hear talk of "plucky wee Motherwell" in the same way that you can occasionally hear St Johnstone or ICT referred to.

Just need to go about our business under the radar and take the prize money...

I can't help but feel that the lack of exposure and plaudits contributes to our players not being valued that high, why I started a thread a few weeks back on it. Gauld at Dundee Utd is already rated around 500k in many peoples eyes no doubt because of the collective media hardon.

To be fair, i'd rate Gauld at a lot more than 500k. One of the first Scottish players to come through in a long time who looks like he has the potential to go all the way.

BBC used to provide the best TV service in the world and their coverage of sport was unrivalled and they particularly exceptional at horse racing, golf and football. However they have all but dropped out of sport now and the organisation seems to be getting run by a cabal of chancers, doowallers and wahoos who employ third rate presenters, commentators and reporters - particularly in Scotland.

As for the credit or lack of credit given to our club, it's been like this for a long number of years. The Scottish sporting media, particularly the football media, have been in denial of Motherwell going way back.

As for the coverage being afforded Aberdeen. Yes it's way over the top and totally unwarranted but just watch how quickly this gets dropped when The Rangers get into the SPFL.

Maybe we are our own worst enemy though because we are after all a well-run, well organised, non-sectarian, family-oriented, fan-friendly, non-controversial, reasonably successful football club that just goes about its work quietly, effectively and efficiently. Our manager does not court the media nor provide them with lurid, noisy outbursts and comments or seek publicity just for its own sake neither do our players. In short maybe we are too boring for the tosses in the Scottish media!! Long may it continue. evilgrin.gif

• Like 1

Don't normally give this much thought, but on the way home yesterday heard praise lavished on St Johnstone for another top six finish. Their crowds aren't that much smaller than ours yet "a wee team" like that was getting credit for the amazing job they continued to do.

I think the fact we continue to finish top four means that it's become the "new normal" for us to be there so not worthy of comment. Other factor might be that we're widely perceived (both by fans and media, rightly or wrongly) as a bigger club than St Johnstone and Inverness CT. Possibly due to our more illustrious history or the fact we've been in the top tier for longer than anyone except Celtic and Aberdeen currently (Hearts are on the same list but not for long). Never going to hear talk of "plucky wee Motherwell" in the same way that you can occasionally hear St Johnstone or ICT referred to.

Just need to go about our business under the radar and take the prize money...

Good post, i agree we are a bigger club than STJ, ICT and the like. A top six finish and challenging for a European place is expected of us now so the media dont pay any attention.

The media are desperate for a replacement team to talk shite about till Sevco get back to the SPfl, hence the wankfest we have just now over Aberdeen and Untd.

Good post, i agree we are a bigger club than STJ, ICT and the like. A top six finish and challenging for a European place is expected of us now so the media dont pay any attention.

The media are desperate for a replacement team to talk shite about till Sevco get back to the SPfl, hence the wankfest we have just now over Aberdeen and Untd.

But on what basis are we a bigger club than St Johnstone? On not dissimilar budgets, we achieve more than them. That makes us more successful not bigger.

But kind of makes my point. Even our own fans think we're a bigger club so outperforming them is seen as no real achievement...

But on what basis are we a bigger club than St Johnstone? On not dissimilar budgets, we achieve more than them. That makes us more successful not bigger.

But kind of makes my point. Even our own fans think we're a bigger club so outperforming them is seen as no real achievement...

By bigger i was referring to history, honours won, time spent in top divisions, fan base and average attendences over the years, European participation..etc etc. And i think on all of these we can be classed as a bigger club.

But you are right the more sucess we have the fans expectations change so finishing above ICT and STJ etc is expected every season.

In very broad terms similarly sized clubs. However I'd say we have a bigger budget and support wise we're about 20-25% larger.

On Saturday they were discussing the possibility of an Anglo/Scottish cup. Tom English said "how many English punters would watch a team like Motherwell on a Tuesday night"

Seemingly ignoring all that we've achieved in recent years. I honestly think amazingly after all these years that it's just because people think our team has a slightly silly name.....

In very broad terms similarly sized clubs. However I'd say we have a bigger budget and support wise we're about 20-25% larger.

Our Scottish Cup Semi-Final against St Johnstone a few years back, did we not have a huge crowd in comparison to that of the Fermers fae Perth? And if you think we would have only took 8-9000 to a league cup final with Aberdeen then you're kidding yourself on.

As a Club, we have a bigger budget, a bigger average attendance, a far larger latent support, a far superior history etc etc. versus teams like St Johnstone and Inverness

Motherwell are on a par with Kilmarnock, as the biggest Clubs in Scotland outwith the traditional city clubs of Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh and to a lesser extent Dundee.....and to press the point home, we'll no doubt finish above all of these Clubs other than Celtic this season and finish best of the rest yet again. Why we seem to fly below the radar of the media baffles me when you consider our relative, and continued success, over the past ten years or so.

st johnstone have never won a major honour or even made the scottish cup final.

• 1 month later...