2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Doubt it though, as i would suspect that would mean Ainsworth not signing for us or another midfielder gone after Josh Law signed.

What I was told is that McCall wants to replace McFadden despite his talk of five players in that position. He saw McFadden as a link up man rather than a striker and none of his "five options" are comfortable enough on the ball to play that role...

Nope, well certainly not at high school.

My other half is related to him. He was raised a Thistle fan by his parents to try and avoid the Old Firm shite. Maybe he'd veered off that path by the time he got to high school, but he was a regular at Thistle games in his younger years.

On topic, what about Paddy McCourt? Maybe worth a punt? I saw some footage of him at Barnsley and he looked decent enough at times?

Another one of those players who can turn a game on its head on his day.

McCourt? No. Not suggesting all our players have to be magnificent athletes, but his lack of any semblance of fitness would make him a luxury we couldn't afford. A wage for a guy that can only play 30 minutes every week? No thanks...

I was just thinking that the guy has no club, even though he did prove he could still do the business for Barnsley when he was there. From what I gather their fans weren't too happy to see him go.

We were looking at Faddy as a luxury player who cost a lot considering what he offered us. I think McCourt would likely cost a lot less, and would perform on a more consistent basis than McFadden did.

Who knows, maybe a stint at a club like Motherwell would be what he needed to get his shit together? We've done that with players like him in the past. If that was possible he'd be a cracking signing.

Who knows, maybe a stint at a club like Motherwell would be what he needed to get his shit together? We've done that with players like him in the past. If that was possible he'd be a cracking signing.

What do we offer that his previous five clubs didn't? The guy is thirty years old and at no point has ever given the impression that he'll change.

Also, who are these other players that we've turned around?

I dunno, maybe I just like the idea of having a player in the side who can come on and take the ball past four or five guys before setting up a game-winning goal.

I know he isn't going to be winning any races or tracking back to help out the defence, but he's a real talent when you give him the ball. We don't have that type of player at the club, someone like a Davie Cooper who can change a game in a matter of seconds.

Besides, if he could do this, and he had the fitness to do it for 90 minutes there's not a hope in hell we'd even be having this conversation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99v579vmlds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-B10Id5J-s

I'll happily take 25-30 minutes of that kind of player every few games, especially if the wages are right.

Someone somewhere seems to have created the myth that Paddy McCourt is some sort of footballing genius and I have yet to see any evidence that he is even remotely decent. If he was Scottish he'd have been ridiculed and hounded out by the Celtic fans when he was there but since he's Irish apparently he's brilliant!

• Like 1

I don't understand how you can be a professional fitba player who isn't fit.

Ken. I mainly play fives over any sort of actual gym work or any of that nonsense, inbetween boozing and hitting every buffet on the east coast, but even at that I noticed a huge difference going from one game a week to three.

He plays fitba every day, how can he still not run more than 5 yards? Can't understand it.

Someone somewhere seems to have created the myth that Paddy McCourt is some sort of footballing genius and I have yet to see any evidence that he is even remotely decent. If he was Scottish he'd have been ridiculed and hounded out by the Celtic fans when he was there but since he's Irish apparently he's brilliant!

He's not a footballing genius by any stretch, but if you look at those videos I posted you can't deny he's a talented player. I certainly don't see anyone in our current squad who can do that (even McFadden wasn't able to do what mcCourt is capable of).

Ken. I mainly play fives over any sort of actual gym work or any of that nonsense, inbetween boozing and hitting every buffet on the east coast, but even at that I noticed a huge difference going from one game a week to three.

He plays fitba every day, how can he still not run more than 5 yards? Can't understand it.

Loves a snout, a pint and a kebab on a regular basis. He looks so unfit because he's up against guys who look after themselves.

He's not a footballing genius by any stretch, but if you look at those videos I posted you can't deny he's a talented player. I certainly don't see anyone in our current squad who can do that (even McFadden wasn't able to do what mcCourt is capable of).

Ladies & Gentlemen... WE HAVE CAUGHT A WHOPPER!!!

:doh: Are you on the plant food? Never one to get dewey eyed, but, that pikey bastard couldn't lace 'our' James' boots! And I don't think I'll be in the minority thinking that.

• Like 1

Ladies & Gentlemen... WE HAVE CAUGHT A WHOPPER!!!

:doh: Are you on the plant food? Never one to get dewey eyed, but, that pikey bastard couldn't lace 'our' James' boots! And I don't think I'll be in the minority thinking that.

Of course you'll not be in the minority in thinking that. We're talking about a former Celtic player being compared with a Motherwell legend.

If you gave me the choice of taking McCourt this summer at a decent wage, or the McFadden we had this season on a decent chunk of change I'd pick McCourt every day of the week. You'll get a good 30 minutes or so from both of them, but at this stage McCourt is the more capable player I reckon.

Why the hell on an extremely tight budget would you even consider someone who can't play 45 minutes never mind 90 minutes or even debate how he can replace someone who we let go who also had fitness issues...We should be going nowhere near anyone who isn't 100% fit with a barge pole, especially guys with the worst fitness track record in the world allegedly... Any extra money that we have should be ploughed straight into the youth setup not unfit journeymen. The mind boggles with some posters on here. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Why the hell on an extremely tight budget would you even consider someone who can't play 45 minutes never mind 90 minutes or even debate how he can replace someone who we let go who also had fitness issues...We should be going nowhere near anyone who isn't 100% fit with a barge pole, especially guys with the worst fitness track record in the world allegedly...the mind boggles with some posters on here. :rolleyes:

Because he can do things with the ball at his feet that no one else in our team can, that's why. I understand that the modern game is all about fitness and suchlike, but I have always preferred a Davie Cooper type over someone who can simply run non-stop.

We were more than happy to take a player who couldn't stay off the treatment table, weren't we? If Faddy were coming off the bench and producing game-changing moments I doubt we'd have been complaining about him being kept on, would we?

I've honestly lost count of the amount of games I've watched where i've felt we needed a spark of something to turn the tide in our favour. McCourt is that kind of player.

I have no idea what he'd be asking right enough, but I'd certainly be making inquiries. Chances are he'll end up elsewhere on better money.

Because he can do things with the ball at his feet that no one else in our team can, that's why. I understand that the modern game is all about fitness and suchlike, but I have always preferred a Davie Cooper type over someone who can simply run non-stop.

We were more than happy to take a player who couldn't stay off the treatment table, weren't we? If Faddy were coming off the bench and producing game-changing moments I doubt we'd have been complaining about him being kept on, would we?

I've honestly lost count of the amount of games I've watched where i've felt we needed a spark of something to turn the tide in our favour. McCourt is that kind of player.

I have no idea what he'd be asking right enough, but I'd certainly be making inquiries. Chances are he'll end up elsewhere on better money.

In my own opinion Faddy was brought in with the hope that a good preseason and he would be flying. He had a great first season and looked a great prospect for the new season. That his fitness issues would be over. We took the gamble and it partly paid off.

McCourt has never shown he has the fitness or likely to have the fitness to last in any game for any team. At least Faddy had the prospect of improving his fitness, McCourt never has. I couldn't care if McCourt was Pele he is not good to a team in our position to start offering a contract with our now precious budget who may give us 20-30 minutes here or there. If we had some hope that he could improve with a good preseason in his fitness and potentially last 90 minutes then fair enough.

I get the fact that he can be an exciting player but like most teams we cannot afford that luxury on a part time basis anymore. He played 23 games for his last team of which he was a sub in 8 of them. Not a good enough return for me to gamble on a wage that could be better utilised.

Clubs like ours need to learn the hard lesson that bringing on players is our only long term survival hope.

I also like the way McCall is going about his business with the contracts. Learned his lessons from last year and crucial players are being signed back on and new ones already coming in early doors.

In my own opinion Faddy was bought in with the hope that a good preseason and he would be flying. He had a great first season and looked a great prospect for the new season. Not that his fitness issues would continue. We took the gamble and it partly paid off. However, McCourt has never shown he has the fitness or likely to have the fitness to last in any game for any team. At least Faddy had the prospect of improving his fitness, McCourt never has. I couldn't care if McCourt was Pele he is not good to a team in our position to start offering a contract with our now precious budget who may give us 20-30 minutes here or there. If we had some hope that he could improve with a good preseason in his fitness and potentially last 90 minutes then fair enough.

I get the fact that he can be an exciting player but like most teams we cannot afford that luxury on a part time basis anymore.

Clubs like ours need to learn the hard lesson that bringing on players is our only long term survival hope.

As I said, it would really depend on what he was looking for as far as I'm concerned. If he was interested in coming, rebuilding his career, perhaps trying to improve his fitness and then push on from there then I'd be happy to see him brought in. Obviously he'd have to take a serious pay cut, but we've seen players reject more money elsewhere and go to a team for reasons other than financial gain.

Chances are that he'll have a few decent offers though.

As I said, it would really depend on what he was looking for as far as I'm concerned. If he was interested in coming, rebuilding his career, perhaps trying to improve his fitness and then push on from there then I'd be happy to see him brought in. Obviously he'd have to take a serious pay cut, but we've seen players reject more money elsewhere and go to a team for reasons other than financial gain.

Chances are that he'll have a few decent offers though.

Yeah, we saw that with McManus. Our team spirit and the manager himself seems to draw decent players to the club who are willing to play for lower wages and I hope that continues. However, I still feel McCourt would be a wrong move. Bring on the youngsters with a smattering of auld heeds and we will be sorted for next season.