A Case For The Defence

milo

Thought struck me after the game on Wednesday. Are our defece missing Humphrey and Ojaama?

Ainsworth is quick over short distances but doesn't take us from one end of the pitch like those two guys could. Hence when we're defending a lead we end up sitting deeper as we simply don't get high enough up the park? Not suggesting it's the only factor, or even the main one, but reckon it's having an impact...

Yep its been mentioned before.

The defence is lacking a keeper just not as good as Randolph/Ruddy but also lacks, in most games, any sort of cover from our wingers. Add that to some of the normal kamikaze defending and it equals a lot more conceded goals!

speaking of the defence is anyone else having nightmares about that corner aberdeen scored on tuesday?

mcginn and hayes will be putting every corner and set piece right under our bar guaranteed.

The solution then is not to defend too deeply and cut our avoidable corners, crosses and free kicks. Don't let them have sight of goal.

Dan Twardzik made the best save I've seen this season from open play against Partick Thistle. The Nielsen's penalty save might equal it though.

Don't know if it was save of the season, but it was a fantastic stop and every bit as important as the 5 goals that followed it in winning the game - if memory serves me right, had that gone in, we were 2 nil down - different game entirely.

Gunnar's penalty save deserves much credit also for the overall result that day.

Personally, on the strength of the few games he played, small as he may have looked, I'd be content to have him on board.

MON RA DOSSERS

1399371944[/url]' post='410838']

Dan Twardzik made the best save I've seen this season from open play against Partick Thistle. The Nielsen's penalty save might equal it though.

Was that the save in the first half? What about the one where he got back off the ground and sprinted back to take the ball off the toe of the attacker.

Full credit to the whole team, but I think today is a day where the defence can certainly stand up and take a bow. We weren't quite clicking going forward but the defence + hollis absolutely nullified everything Aberdeen could chuck at us (even if it was occasionally self inflicted). We wouldn't have got the three points today without some huge last ditch tackles from Hutch and Mcmanus and of course, arise Sir Craig Reid. Even before the goal, he was putting himself about and making it difficult for Aberdeen to play through the middle.

It was also absolutely clear at the end how much this mean to Hutch, the guy was going mental. It gave me a glimmer of hope that he might stay.

Full credit to the whole team, but I think today is a day where the defence can certainly stand up and take a bow. We weren't quite clicking going forward but the defence + hollis absolutely nullified everything Aberdeen could chuck at us (even if it was occasionally self inflicted). We wouldn't have got the three points today without some huge last ditch tackles from Hutch and Mcmanus and of course, arise Sir Craig Reid. Even before the goal, he was putting himself about and making it difficult for Aberdeen to play through the middle.

Yes, Craig Reid and Keith Lasley shielded the defence better today and did not allow them to take potshots at our goal. A real team effort though.

We have had two defensive masterclasses at Pittodrie this season. We were a bit nervy to start with but we settled into a real good display at the back today. If we could just learn to defend like that against the other ten teams we'd be lethal.