Expectations For Season 14/15

Judge Jules

Seriously, what makes you think that? Stuart McCall is still our manager right? Maybe I missed a big announcement!

I agree McCall isn't exactly Gannon-esque when it comes to youngsters, but guys like Moore, Carswell and Leitch aren't exactly old timers. And Hutchy was the ripe old age of 23 when he left.

I agree McCall isn't exactly Gannon-esque when it comes to youngsters, but guys like Moore, Carswell and Leitch aren't exactly old timers. And Hutchy was the ripe old age of 23 when he left.

We'll bring in a striker before the window. Therefore unless Erwin can make an impression before the new guy comes in he's going to be 4th or 5th choice.

Dom Thomas has not made a first team appearance and the fact that McCall has played Kerr twice this season on the wing suggests Thomas has a lot to do before the manager has him making appearances.

Hutchinson was an established first team player. Carswell has come in because of the dismal failure of Paul Lawson. Moore and Leitch have been forced on him due to squad restrictions and still only have a handful of starts between them.

August - We start the season poorly, everyone bemoans we didn't keep James McFadden and Michael Higdon didn't sign.

September - our 1st points awarded after the Hamilton team bus gets lost going over the Clackmannanshire bridge

October - Gordon Strachan touted as the next Motherwell manager after Stuart McCall leaves for Rangers and Scotland have lost heavily to Georgia and Poland after Strachan selects Fraser Kerr in central midfield with Keith Lasley.

November - Strachan takes over and immediately puts Alan Burrows in charge of team fitness.

December - Henrik Ojaama scores his first league goals since signing on loan in August, Strachan finally plays him up front instead of in goals.

January - After beating Celtic in the Scottish cup everyone bemoans that McFadden didn't sign and we didn't keep Michael Higdon. Strachan leaves for the vacant Rangers job after Stuart McCall gets lost on the Edinburgh bypass after the Hibs - Rangers match.

February - Motherwell top the league and steelmenonline closes due to lack of anyone having anything to say, a suicidal MJC is talked down off the bridgework railway crossing by new Motherwell manager Alan Burrows.

March - Steelmenonline reopens bemoan the loss of every player to have ever played for Motherwell after a narrow loss 4-5 to Aberdeen.

April - Motherwell safe from relegation

May - We've done it, top of the league, all is well, Burrows is "the man"

• Like 3

Minimum aim must be top 6. After that, we should certainly be looking for top 4. Any expections other than those two is pretty poor and defeatest as the Premiership is packed full of shite. A trip to Crastairs is in order if anyone thinks we'll be anywhere near finishing below St Mirren, Killie, Accies, Dundee, Ross County and as long as Yogi is there, ICT.

I'm not so sure that would be the case. There's a debate to be had about McCall or the club's willingness to speculate to accumulate when it comes to these European ties - one that arguably may be somewhat skewed after the events of this Euro "campaign" - but McCall has often done business right up to, and indeed after the close of the transfer window.

It's just doesn't appear his style to take a gamble on a signing a player with one or two games in mind. There's clearly been an element of familiatiry with a number of his signings - although quite why this seems to rankle as much with some fans I struggle to understand - but you think of Law, he was supposedly up on trial on a few occasions before we commited, Ojamma and Anier likewise had trials before we committed.

It's fairly well acknowledged also that he likes to see what availability there is in the English loan market and that availability only really emerges by the time our season is underway.

I just don't see it being any different this year and fully expect another one or two to be at the club by the close of the window.

Surely its not speculation to replace our squad now a number of our high earners (Hutch got renewed terms a few years back, well discussed McFadden was financed by a director and we got a return for Arnier considering we had him for a year).

My premise wasn't that he was looking at a few games but the whole season. We will face 5 league matches before the transfer window shuts. When we have game(s) that could being in a decent return before that, why not have any targets in place before rather than waiting to till the 11th hour? You would think we have a wee bit of cash available now we have a few players off our books, even if Arnier's fee goes into shore up other costs.

Maybe he thought (along with 99% of our support) we had enough in the tank to get through the Starjnan tie. What is evident we don't have enough to get us through a league campaign and maintain the status quo.

I do agree he is very cautious, I've posted before saying I think he's the sort of manager who is more concerned with damage limitation than inflicting damage, with the former he doesn't appear to have the players and the latter he doesn't appear to have that many ideas to our opposition pay when we have the upper hand, either in numbers or level.

As you said, McCall seems to rely very much on his Bradford, Sheffield Utd. connections, which must be stretched a tad now as he's been away from that neck of the woods for quite a while. So that begs the question, what's happening with our Scouting network, surely Kenny black must have some insight in our lower leagues. Dundee Utd have shown what you can do if you pay attention, I'd hope Flow see's this as a potentially beneficial and lucrative revenue stream.

Dundee Utd have effectively paid off all their sizeable debts with two players who stepped up in the tangerine in the past 12 months. However I accept that was no doubt helped by the BBC wankfest every time they were mentioned.

We will face 5 league matches before the transfer window shuts. When we have game(s) that could being in a decent return before that, why not have any targets in place before rather than waiting to till the 11th hour? You would think we have a wee bit of cash available now we have a few players off our books, even if Arnier's fee goes into shore up other costs.

Maybe he thought (along with 99% of our support) we had enough in the tank to get through the Starjnan tie. What is evident we don't have enough to get us through a league campaign and maintain the status quo.

I do agree he is very cautious, I've posted before saying I think he's the sort of manager who is more concerned with damage limitation than inflicting damage, with the former he doesn't appear to have the players and the latter he doesn't appear to have that many ideas to our opposition pay when we have the upper hand, either in numbers or level.

Dundee Utd have effectively paid off all their sizeable debts with two players who stepped up in the tangerine in the past 12 months. However I accept that was no doubt helped by the BBC wankfest every time they were mentioned.

For whatever reason, this is the club's preferred route. Its happened time and again. I don't know whether its impossible to bring in decent players early, whether the club is trying to shave summer costs off the wage bill or whether we simply don't take European football seriously enough - maybe its a combination of all three. What I would say is that in terms of European football it does not work. I suspect the club takes the view that our European participation will only be temporary so its not worth the additional input in terms of finance, personnel changes etc. Its better to wait to bring in the kind of of player we're looking for. This season it looks as though disruption to 3 key positions (goalie, centre back and striker) has proved very costly. Possible mistake in signing Twardzik, and no progress in filling the other 2 slots.

Stuart McCall is very risk averse as Steve Diggle said. That's all very well if you have the means and personnel at your disposal to implement this approach but we don't and haven't had in the past 3 years.

As far as Dundee United is concerned I'm not so sure they've wiped out their debt. When pressed they've been very coy about how reduction was achieved. Maybe soft loans? Rumours that investors bought stakes in high value players.

Carswell has come in because of the dismal failure of Paul Lawson.

Very harsh on a man whose career was in jeopardy because of injury last season.

Not so sure. As much as he was heralded as the best player in the successful County team the previous season, he wasn't deployed in a similar role so management staff never used him effectively in a holding berth. In their defence nor did he show any sign of improving his game and adjust to a new system similar to Keith Lasley in the past.

Not so sure. As much as he was heralded as the best player in the successful County team the previous season, he wasn't deployed in a similar role so management staff never used him effectively in a holding berth. In their defence nor did he show any sign of improving his game and adjust to a new system similar to Keith Lasley in the past.

Yes. Both he and Iain Vigurs performed best when in a 5 man midfield. Its been a different set up at Fir Park

8th. With hideously slow play, and Lasley and Hammell whipped until injured and McCall is forced to bring in some younger players before 65 minutes have passed. No stress of relegation, and doddering between 5th and 8th, mind you.

Bugger all in the cups.

Horrible games v Accies, in which, we drop at least 5 points over 3 games.

Fraser Kerr, due to a spate of injuries winding up in his actual position, and looking like a decent footballer. After folk are fit, he'll be hurled back to right wing reserve.

My head will potentially actually explode trying not to vocally lose the plot at Angol.

McCall will leave at the end of the season. And that's fine. I think this is one too many for him and the club. He's more than earned it, and any chat of sacking is a bit much for me just now, but this should be his last.

I actually think we will be ok once we are match fit. The fact we are not match fit before a key european game is a different story...

In my opinion, even without anymore additions:

* Aberdeen will get 2nd this year. We pipped them last year but I think they will kick on this year.

* It will be between us, Dundee Utd and St J for 3rd - 5th.

Dundee Utd may egde it if their few new signings are good ones but the loss of Robertson and Gauld is a big big blow for them even though they got good money.

St Johnstone haven't signed anyone and are weaker but I think stronger than the rest

The others - No matter how disappointing the last 2 games were we still better than Thistle, Ross County, ICT, Killie, St Mirren, Accies and Dundee. They have all signed a lot of players but none are players who worry me in the slightest. James McPake, Jamie Hammill, Lee Miller, Ryan Stevenson and Simon Ferry are the only players out of all the signings those 7 clubs have made that make me slightly raise an eyebrow and none of them I am really convinced would make a difference to our team or will damge us in anyway by playing against us. Dundee and Killie I could see pushing away from the rest and challenging for 6th.

* Cups - I have no idea. I would not be surprised to go out in the first rounds we enter but at the same time I really hope we dont!

Hutchinson was an established first team player. Carswell has come in because of the dismal failure of Paul Lawson. Moore and Leitch have been forced on him due to squad restrictions and still only have a handful of starts between them.

Not exactly.

Hutchinson was on the verge of being papped out on loan to Ayr on just a matter of weeks before Stuart McCall became manager. He was an established first team player for all of about six weeks under Jim Gannon. He was re-introduced by, and made the bulk of his Motherwell appearances, under McCall.

Carswell was given his debut as a 17 year old by McCall and had more than 40 appearances in the first team before Paul Lawson arrived at Fir Park.

Circumstances may well have opened the door for Moore and Leitch but like Francis-Angol before them once in the squad they've remained in the squad.

The likes of Stewart, Lawless, Erwin, Murray and Cadden to name more that spring to mind have also debuted for Motherwell under McCall.

Don't get me wrong, I share the frustration that there have been plenty of occasions we could have used our youths rather than shuffle half a dozen players out of position to compensate for the absence of one, but equally its a myth that he never uses young players.

Seriously, what makes you think that? Stuart McCall is still our manager right? Maybe I missed a big announcement!

Angol, Carswell, Moore, Leitch, Hutchinson and Cummins are all young players that McCall has given a fair (some of them significant) amount of game time to develop.

Why shouldn't I think that the same can be said of those I mentioned earlier?

Also, starts aren't necessarily the measuring point for suggesting that we are bringing on younger players. Bringing them off the bench to prove themselves over a good few games is the starting point (see how well Erwin did in the Stjarnan home match), not throwing them in like Gannon did.

4th place and a Cup Final. After Stjarnan and Rovers last season expectation is so low in the cups just now I reckon we'll out of nowhere get a decent run at last.

We will of course lose the Cup Final as we'll collectively shite ourselves in the final.

I reckon this will be the season that the bubble bursts!

I'm going to say 8th for a number of reasons;

• Season plauged by injury (due to the club's stalwart physio moving on) and suspensions.
  • Other than seeing Josh Law perform for 65 mins, I cant see where the creativity is coming from.
  • We're going to get horribly exposed down the left where Vigurs and ZFA arent the greatest at coming back to supplement an aging Hammel at the back.
  • Every third kick of Lasley's will be the ball
  • We'll concentrate on Cup runs and not on the League
  • We're lacking pace, other than Ainsworth (and thats a bit hit and miss) and Law. John Sutton may go into reverse this season.
  • The ever deceasing budget will come to the fore this season.