Relegation

milo

Some of the best times I had has a 'Well fan were when we were dossing around in the First Division and traveling to all the away games.

I doubt it would be the end of the club, but economics have changed and I'm not sure it would have quite the same appeal now.

Relegation would be an absolutely unmitigated utter disaster for Motherwell in so many ways. You think the crowds are bad just now? Just wait till we've been down there the amount of time Falkirk, Partick Thistle and Dundee are/were.

If, and it's a massive if, we came up straight away everything might be ok but it's going to be a herculean effort winning that division or coming up via the play offs next year. We had budget cuts when we were finishing 2nd and 3rd, what will the budget cuts be for finishing 11th or 12th?!?!

People can delude themselves that it would be a bit of a jape and good craic visiting new grounds etc if they want but see how you feel when we've been kicking about as a mid table first division team for a few years.

Relegation would be an absolutely unmitigated utter disaster for Motherwell in so many ways. You think the crowds are bad just now? Just wait till we've been down there the amount of time Falkirk, Partick Thistle and Dundee are/were.

If, and it's a massive if, we came up straight away everything might be ok but it's going to be a herculean effort winning that division or coming up via the play offs next year. We had budget cuts when we were finishing 2nd and 3rd, what will the budget cuts be for finishing 11th or 12th?!?!

People can delude themselves that it would be a bit of a jape and good craic visiting new grounds etc if they want but see how you feel when we've been kicking about as a mid table first division team for a few years.

I'm the yo-yo supporter. Had a season ticket for years, been to lots of away games including European.

I'll then maybe sit out for a few years and got to one or two games then come back and watch 5 games back to back.

I'm sure there are lots like me.

IF we go down. I'll be really honest and say that any interest will disappear and I think I would jack it in.

I'd check the league table every few months but that would be it.

Relegation would be catastrophic for Motherwell. Make absolutely no mistake about that.

The league will get a massive boost when Hearts and Rangers (maybe) come up. A sponsor will be found and the press / media might even try talking up the game.

We'll be gone and forgotten. :(

Like I said, the economics are different now to the last twice we were in the First Division, but the one thing that made it more interesting is every year we started a new campaign with a realistic chance of actually winning a league title (which we did 2 times out of 4 attempts).

I think we are in a stronger financial position now if we were relegated than if it had happened last season, but it would still mean a major shakeup of the club structure. Ultimately, however, I think we should have enough to drag us out of the bottom 2 over the next few months.

It really was a nice change though to be standing on the terraces at Brockville, Annfield, Shawfield, Palmerston, Boghead etc. instead of a 4th or 5th trip to Paisley.

Like I said, the economics are different now to the last twice we were in the First Division, but the one thing that made it more interesting is every year we started a new campaign with a realistic chance of actually winning a league title (which we did 2 times out of 4 attempts).

I do wonder how crowds would react to an exciting 1st division title challenge. Given that many fans claimed to be bored of European Football, the general lethargy to finishing 2nd in the league last year (apparently we didn't play the right kind of football last year, aye ... okay) and the ever-declining crowds, I've got a fear that that same section of our support wouldn't embrace a title challenge with the sort of positivity it deserves.

• Like 1

I do wonder how crowds would react to an exciting 1st division title challenge. Given that many fans claimed to be bored of European Football, the general lethargy to finishing 2nd in the league last year (apparently we didn't play the right kind of football last year, aye ... okay) and the ever-declining crowds, I've got a fear that that same section of our support wouldn't embrace a title challenge with the sort of positivity it deserves.

Yep.

I'm the yo-yo supporter. Had a season ticket for years, been to lots of away games including European.

I'll then maybe sit out for a few years and got to one or two games then come back and watch 5 games back to back.

In season 84-85 when we were last in the 1st Division (30 years agoblink.gif) crowds were as low as 1700 and no higher than 4500 v Airdire.

On average 2500 or thereabouts, so quite a bit lower than they are today.

I suspect the same may happen again although I am not sure they will fall too fare below the 3000 mark which is not far off where we are just now.

I would still get a season ticket and travel through from Edinburgh. It may matter to some, but not to me what league we are in. If I felt we would survive and prosper from a season or two in the Championship then I would not mind. The problem is there is no guarantee it would only be one or two seasonshelp.gif

I know plenty that that are staying away as it is, never mind dropping down, so anyone thats saying we would get 3000 plus is kidding themselves on, we are above 3000 by a baw hair as it is without dropping down.

I don't mind saying part of me would enjoy the drop. New grounds, promotion party etc, but are we not above that?

The old guard would have you saying " in my day we would be lucky to see top six, bla bla bla" but really, after all we have done over the last few year, can you be honestly happy with what we are lumped with right now?

We have had our period as a low league low pop, average team. We had tasted the hights we can achieve, so why should we hope for anything less?

If you are happy with going backwards in this game and accept it then I think it's time you find yourself a new hobby, there is no room for anyone that is happy with a step backwards. What's the point in playing if you don't think you can win? I understand and I am fully with he people that say be realistic, but there comes a point when you need t look at what's on the table and ask " is this good ebough?".

Anyway, rant over.

I am drunk.

• Like 1

I'm in the camp who think relegation would be a bad thing, not quite a complete disaster, but it'd certainly lead to a period of concern, especially if it took more than two seasons to reappear in the top flight. Not only that, but once back in the top flight, we'd no doubt be favourites for the drop like most newly promoted teams are. So we'd need to be strong enough to remain there, all in all, a difficult task for a team of our size.

But, looking at this season. On paper (yes I know) I've no doubt that our team has enough SPFL Premiership talent to avoid relegation but it seems that we are having a helluva time a) getting them fit, b) getting them motivated and c) keeping them in both those places. On top of that we have seen some odd tactical decisions/player selections (such as the Dom Thomas scenario and the persistent use of the continued worst offenders of points a + b).

We really have been our own worst enemy this season.

And fortune (with regards to injuries) has truly fucked us.

I really hope the introduction of the new guys and assistant manager sorts out the confidence and malaise issues surrounding the team. We need to start winning from Saturday. Every game now has to be viewed as a cup match. I reckon we need 6 wins, maybe more, maybe less, it all depends on how Ross County and St Mirren do, but I'd rather not rely on them to be equally shite.

If we get to the end of the season in 10th or higher then season 2015/16 by default due to contracts has to see a massive clear out and overhaul. That'll help give a fresh start to the manager and the fans.

I'm in the camp who think relegation would be a bad thing, not quite a complete disaster.

Pretty much, it would be a period of adaptation rather than the end.

I don't want to get relegated but if we do I still be going to the matches and the consolation, and it will be a consolation, is that it will be something different that I've ever experienced before. I started coming regularly the season after our last promotion.

Another consolation is that the new play off system means that there is a promotion interest for quite a few clubs right up till the end of the season.

If we get relegated we'll see a load of our top earners leave, that's for sure. The guys who are happy to see out their contracts whilst not offering much return this season would more than likely be suddenly looking for a move if staying meant playing a division down. On top of that we have a whole host of players who are out of contract this summer.

Basically, we'd be starting from scratch playing wise I reckon. We'd retain a few old heads, but it would be mainly a new side we'd field on day one next season I think.

Sure, attendances would drop a bit, but we'd simply have to cut our cloth accordingly.

If we get relegated we'll see a load of our top earners leave, that's for sure. The guys who are happy to see out their contracts whilst not offering much return this season would more than likely be suddenly looking for a move if staying meant playing a division down. On top of that we have a whole host of players who are out of contract this summer.

Basically, we'd be starting from scratch playing wise I reckon. We'd retain a few old heads, but it would be mainly a new side we'd field on day one next season I think.

Sure, attendances would drop a bit, but we'd simply have to cut our cloth accordingly.

We only have 8 players contracted after the summer. We'd probably run with about a 20 man squad so we'd need to bring in 10 - 12 players. Getting the right guys is going to be crucial in the Premiership, but down a level it would be even more important.

Having survived a few scares in the 90s I've always been of the mindset that by hook or by crook, we'll avoid relegation. And I maintain that belief this year.

Should we be relegated though, I certainly wouldn't fear it like I did as a kid in the 90s. Seasons fly by, players come and go, and I'd be all for embracing the change of scenery.

Let the club worry about the finances and cuts it's cloth accordingly. If we're well managed, we'll always have a club to follow through success and failure.

• Like 2

When you've just been relegated, a title challenge (and the novelty of winning games after a season of defeats) is a refreshing change. I wouldn't want to do it every year, but "best of the rest" is just a fancy term for "not good enough to win". I wouldn't swap the 2 titles and the Cup win for a Best of the Rest.

Having survived a few scares in the 90s I've always been of the mindset that by hook or by crook, we'll avoid relegation. And I maintain that belief this year.

Should we be relegated though, I certainly wouldn't fear it like I did as a kid in the 90s. Seasons fly by, players come and go, and I'd be all for embracing the change of scenery.

Let the club worry about the finances and cuts it's cloth accordingly. If we're well managed, we'll always have a club to follow through success and failure.

This sums up my own feelings on the matter...

Agree with this, but would add that the actual day any relegation is cemented will be one of the worst of my football supporting life.

Never seen us relegated, and while I believe I would come out the other end OK and enjoy the change of locations, that day, if it ever comes, would be traumatic.

Also disagree that it would be a death-nail for us. With the people in charge just now think we could weather the storm and cut our cloth accordingly, rebuilding from the ground up - dare I say, similar to what Accies have done.

Still have faith that we will be 10th come the final whistle on match day 38 though...

Agree with this, but would add that the actual day any relegation is cemented will be one of the worst of my football supporting life.

Never seen us relegated, and while I believe I would come out the other end OK and enjoy the change of locations, that day, if it ever comes, would be traumatic.

Also disagree that it would be a death-nail for us. With the people in charge just now think we could weather the storm and cut our cloth accordingly, rebuilding from the ground up - dare I say, similar to what Accies have done.

Still have faith that we will be 10th come the final whistle on match day 38 though...

+1

For me its all about enjoying my football and to me as long as we are financially secure it doesn't really matter to me what division we are in although I would rather it was the top league but if it turns out to be the Championship then so be it.

I haven't felt excited or entertained by the team for quite some time now and it's the prospect of that continuing which would make me stop going to games, not what division we were in.

Some astonishing views here on relegation. If we go down it would be a disaster pure and simple. Lower crowds. Less income. Less hospitality. Lower standard of football. Less sponsorship. Oh aye we'd get a wee trip to Alloa. Honestly.... :wallbash: That 10th spot is a MUST. <_>

• Like 2

Some astonishing views here on relegation. If we go down it would be a disaster pure and simple. Lower crowds. Less income. Less hospitality. Lower standard of football. Less sponsorship. Oh aye we'd get a wee trip to Alloa. Honestly.... :wallbash: That 10th spot is a MUST. <_>

I'm guessing when we were debating the "integrity of Scottish football" regarding letting Sevco to compete in the Premier League, you weren't in the "I don't care if we have to field our U16 team and get gubbed every week - as long as we do the right thing" camp.

• Like 1