Motherwell v Inverness ct 28/02/15

insrebus

Ya Bezzer and Gazzy B are on the money.

If there is no noticeable improvement v ICT and I am not expecting one then how on earth does it pay to stick with IB ?

Talk of another few weeks to find a Manager and a few weeks for them to settle in are not relevant.

If the status quo is taking us down to the Championship, then we have ONE last throw of the dice and that would involve getting in an experienced Manager who is out of work (and there are plenty) that have nothing to lose but rebuild their reputation and try to turn things around. It may no work and may make no difference, but we HAVE to try something or we are doomed to the Championship for at least one season probably more...

Ya Bezzer and Gazzy B are on the money.

If there is no noticeable improvement v ICT and I am not expecting one then how on earth does it pay to stick with IB ?

Talk of another few weeks to find a Manager and a few weeks for them to settle in are not relevant.

If the status quo is taking us down to the Championship, then we have ONE last throw of the dice and that would involve getting in an experienced Manager who is out of work (and there are plenty) that have nothing to lose but rebuild their reputation and try to turn things around. It may no work and may make no difference, but we HAVE to try something or we are doomed to the Championship for at least one season probably more...

I would actually give him the next two games. I'd actually consider the Inverness match to be well beyond us at the moment and it would be unreasonable to expect us to get anything from it.

Kilmarnock have been up and down but that is as close as a winnable match as we are going to get at this stage.

He's not had a lot of time to get the new players settled in and our crisis was not his making, it's just that he doesn't seem capable of getting us out of it. Giving him the next two games seems like the best compromise between fairness to Baraclough and the expediency of survival.

If he can't get a win there then he has to go, 1 point from 30 is grounds for dismissal in any circumstances, never mind when you are at the bottom of the league and going headlong into a death spiral.

• Like 1

I suppose you have to hope that those two - as arguably our most experienced (fit) players - will be the ones to pull the rest of the team together on the park and drive them on.

The problem is, Lasley has suffered from trying to do far too much, ending up being almost totally ineffective, whilst McManus just hasn't looked bothered all season. In saying that, a centre back pairing of Laing and Ramsden/Kerr gives me the fear, and until Pearson comes back I wouldn't risk dropping Lasley at the moment (as shit as we've been, I think without him we'd be worse).

In an ideal world, I'd go with:

Long

Law O'Brien Kerr Hammell

D. Thomas Grant Lasley/Pearson Johnson

Erwin/Moore Sutton

We desperately need Hammell and Pearo back.

I'd kill to have Vigurs back in the team.

I'd rather 11 Vigurs' than 11 Lasley's. Running about like fuck only gets you so far. At the end of the day you need a bit of quality to actually split open a defence and make something happen. His form has been patchy at best, but Vigurs can create and score goals unlike Keith.

I understand that a good team will have grafters as well as more creative/flair players, but on the evidence of Saturday's game we have none of the latter. Vigurs can help.

I'd rather 11 Vigurs' than 11 Lasley's. Running about like fuck only gets you so far. At the end of the day you need a bit of quality to actually split open a defence and make something happen. His form has been patchy at best, but Vigurs can create and score goals unlike Keith.

I understand that a good team will have grafters as well as more creative/flair players, but on the evidence of Saturday's game we have none of the latter. Vigurs can help.

Apparently it maybe a career ending injury

100% agree. Well said.

Football is all about opinions, and that's one of the things I love about it and what keeps forums like this going, but I just can't understand why on earth a non-trying wage thief with the odd silky touch would have a higher standing with any supporters than a guy who has captained us to higher league finishes than anyone else has in the last 50 years and would run through brick walls for Motherwell. Yes, he's lost a yard of pace and has had a poor season by his own standards but to suggest we'd be better of with Vigurs just makes me despair.

• Like 5

1424763580[/url]' post='433607']

Football is all about opinions, and that's one of the things I love about it and what keeps forums like this going, but I just can't understand why on earth a non-trying wage thief with the odd silky touch would have a higher standing with any supporters than a guy who has captained us to higher league finishes than anyone else has in the last 50 years and would run through brick walls for Motherwell. Yes, he's lost a yard of pace and has had a poor season by his own standards but to suggest we'd be better of with Vigurs just makes me despair.

100% agree

Five years ago to the day

27. Round 28/02/2009 15:00 A Inverness CT Inverness CT 2:1 (1:1)

I'll take the same result again.

Looking back over the last few years we seem to have done not too bad around this date.

25. Round 25/02/2014 19:45 A St. Johnstone FC St. Johnstone FC 0:3 (0:0)

29. Round 27/02/2013 19:45 H Celtic FC Celtic FC 2:1 (1:0)

28. Round 25/02/2012 15:00 A Celtic FC Celtic FC 0:1 (0:0)

28. Round 27/02/2011 12:45 H Celtic FC Celtic FC 2:0 (1:0)

So glad it isn't St Johnstone we're playing :0)

The players have got to realise sooner or later that they are playing for their futures, even if it isn't here.

Whoever it is though that is going crying to their mates to get their thoughts out in the media need to stop acting like 5 year olds and start acting like the responsible adults and professional footballers they are.

There is enough players in that squad who can defend and create things it's just a case of these players having the attitude to go and do it.

I am talking about players like:

Ainsworth who we all know when he's on his game he can turn games whether that's getting balls in the box or shooting.

McManus wasn't a Celtic and Scotland player for no reason but his organisation of the back 4 this season has been laughable. That was before Barra came in.

Lasley will cover every blade of grass for this club but if he isn't being helped by those around him then we're just wasting what time his legs have to give us. There should be someone else doing his job and we should be using him a little deeper and using him to get the attacks started with his passing.

My ideal team for this weekend if everyone was fit would be

Long

Law, Ramsden, McManus, Hammell

Lasley

Grant, Pearson

D.Thomas Erwin

Moore

Hammell is replaced by Watt if not fit.

McManus and Ramsden only get the shout because we need experience in the CB area for this fixture,

Law gets the nod over Reid, for no other reason than this is supposed to be where he plays, so lets see he can provide the extra we need there.

Only dropped Sutton as I feel he needs a break from trying to lead from the front and the three young lads will have the pace and trickery required to break down the ICT defence.

I do not have a clue how we'll line up on Saturday. And I think that points at part of the problem. Is our squad, and I can't believe I'm saying this, too big? McCall with his smaller squad, pretty much knew his strongest eleven in previous seasons. With four wingers, five centre backs and forty right backs, I fear the problem may be that Baraclough doesn't know his strongest eleven yet. Surely that's what he should be addressing Monday to Friday. A settled lineup would surely help the players get to know each other's games better.

For me, left back has to be Hammell if fit, if not Watt. Kerr has to play. Carswell and Lasley in front of the back four. With Pearson, Grant and Johnson behind Sutton with instructions to get themselves as close to him as possible.

Does that system suit Erwin more than Sutton. Maybe but that ignores a fact. Sutton scores goals...

I do not have a clue how we'll line up on Saturday. And I think that points at part of the problem. Is our squad, and I can't believe I'm saying this, too big? McCall with his smaller squad, pretty much knew his strongest eleven in previous seasons. With four wingers, five centre backs and forty right backs, I fear the problem may be that Baraclough doesn't know his strongest eleven yet. Surely that's what he should be addressing Monday to Friday. A settled lineup would surely help the players get to know each other's games better.

For me, left back has to be Hammell if fit, if not Watt. Kerr has to play. Carswell and Lasley in front of the back four. With Pearson, Grant and Johnson behind Sutton with instructions to get themselves as close to him as possible.

Does that system suit Erwin more than Sutton. Maybe but that ignores a fact. Sutton scores goals...

Sutton is more effective when the ball is crossed in to him, so i think we need wide players, so i would have Ainsworth right side and maybe Johnson left side with pearson and grant in the middle.