Motherwell v Inverness ct 28/02/15

insrebus

Calm down folks a vital 3 points. We're still bottom of one of the worst leagues in europe. A defeat today would've virtually relegated us. We've avoided it today. every game we play now will be the same any defeat at any time could bury us. Partick Thistle are virtually uncatchable for us and St. Mirren and Ross County are on a roll. We need to stay focused. :mellow:

Christ, enjoy the win you fucking misery.

McDonald really is a fantastic coup for the club, his performance today reminded me of Faddy's first start when he came back against Celtic where he just seemed to give everyone a lift. Players and fans alike. You can see his attitude is infectious and he demands the best not only from himself but from those around him. Plus he's a winner and would do anything to get 3 points. His presence aside on the pitch I thought he was different class. His movement and link up play were superb and he was unlucky with a couple of his chances in the 1st half. On today's evidence certainly a more rounded team player than the one that left Fir Park.

Above pretty much goes for Pearson as well. I raved on here about his performance at Tannadice and the difference he made to our midfield and hopefully those on here that weren't there can see why. His drive and tenacity just sets the tone for the rest of the team. Much like McDonald he just seems to bring the best out in those around him and Lasley beside him in particular had his best performance of the season to date. Keep these two fit and free of suspension, get Hammell back and it'll make a massive difference.

Thought all the new guys fared better today as well. Long and Grant have always been impressive and both looked good additions again on today's evidence. Long's save before half time and Grant's cross for the first goal were two real moments of quality that helped make the difference between 3 points and nothing. The others that haven't been as impressive really stood up today as well. Laing looked solid enough and scored a bullet header. Can only echo what someone else said earlier about Johnson, think he's got something about him. A rough diamond was how I think he was described when he was signed and you can see he has potential with his pace and trickery. Swung in a couple of cracking crosses as well. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

A really good team performance though, for probably only the 2nd time this season. We worked well as a unit, we pressed them well and dare I say it we even looked fairly well organized. As others have said we actually looked like a professional football team. Everyone played their part and can rightly be proud of that performance, Baraclough included .

Same again next week please.

• Like 1

Having thought at the time that it was a disgraceful decision by the referee, the highlights on Alba just now show the ref was right to give the foul against Ramsden on the edge of the box. Poor challenge that took the man first. Not sure if the yellow card was for the foul, the dissent or a combination.

A great win today against a hard and cynical Inverness side. Possibly our best performance of the season, with plenty of fight and determination on offer. A good team performance with Pearson and MacDonald pulling the strings. Skippy added much needed mobility and energy to our attack and he didn't give the Inverness defence any time or peace - just what we needed. He also encouraged the younger players and brought out the best in Erwin. Pearson added some much needed drive to the midfield. Can't wait to see him fully fit. A cracking first goal with Grant supplying an inch perfect cross for Laing to bullet home. The goal we lost we very annoying with Law and McManus not covering themselves in glory although overall they played well. The former was posted missing when the Inverness had all the time and space any player could ever want to sling over an inch perfect cross for their debutant striker to outmuscle the latter.

The one disappointing thing for me today was Inverness's behaviour. A fantastic young talent like Ryan Christie should not be throwing himself to the deck every time he loses control of the ball, and certainly not right in front of his manager who ought to have taken action. The Inverness scorer was very fortunate indeed to see half time having committed two horrible fouls for which he ought to have been disciplined. The ref was very pernickety and inconsistent.

For our part we still had weaknesses. Our midfield was still too narrow at times especially on the left hand side but luckily Inverness never took advantage of this and it looked a wee bit devoid of confidence for short spells in sitting too deep and allowing ICT to have sight of goals. Not sure about bringing Sutton on but we did win and you can't argue with that.

Ok humble pie timeFirst goal really poor defending by Inverness but credit for creating it.Equaliser poor by mc manus .Save too keep us in the game was brilliant and so casual by the keepernotworthy.gif.Deflected winner well about time we had some luck.

All in all a much better performance and players hungry for the ball rather than hiding and being afraid of making mistakescheers.gif

Stuck £20 on us as the poor run couldn't go on forever thanks for the £110 returnblush.gif So so pleased to see the fight back in our team today

1425156831[/url]' post='434173']

Nah. Im still very concerned. It's our best performance of a miserable season and it does give us some hope. Signing Scott Mac and a decent keeper might just get us 10th spot. I'll do the 'creaming' then when we're safe. :nod:

Ffs man cheer the fuk up

Is it just me that didn't think Pearson was that good yesterday? Gave the ball away a lot and mis-timed a fair few tackles.

I'm not saying he was terrible, but I wasn't of the opinion that it was the MOTM, season-changing performance that everyone else seems to. Didn't look fully fit to be fair.

McDonald was excellent though.

That was hugely encouraging stuff yesterday after the pitiful effort of the week before.

I must confess I thought it was a little bit of another case of chucking it at the wall and see if something sticks with the team selection but by and large Baraclough got it right. From the word go we looked like a team. There was a great tempo about things in the early stages, we looked threatening, creative at times and the benefits of having the personnel to be able to perform the much talked of high pressing game were there for all to see.

The worry was that when we were on top that by not getting our noses in front it might come back to haunt us but throughout the game we generally kept Inverness restricted to efforts from distance. They had a couple of chances certainly but weren't cutting us apart that often.

Again we started the second half a a good tempo and after so many games where even we've scored we've been chasing a game, what a feeling it was to actually get in front.

Great character to come back again when they equalised. When Moore miss-kicked and the ball was taken away from Sutton I thought that was our opportunity gone and but just fantastic to get our noses in front again and then hold out.

It wasn't ideal that both St Mirren and Ross County won but I couldn't say that took the shine off it at all for me. If St Mirren were ever going to beat anyone at home given the form they are in currently Hamilton would be a good bet and for all they beat us last weekend Dundee were hardly startling. I suspect our result will have been more a surprise to them, than there's was to us.

The fight goes on!

• Like 1

It wasn't ideal that both St Mirren and Ross County won but I couldn't say that took the shine off it at all for me. If St Mirren were ever going to beat anyone at home given the form they are in currently Hamilton would be a good bet and for all they beat us last weekend Dundee were hardly startling. I suspect our result will have been more a surprise to them, than there's was to us.

The fight goes on!

Very much so Andy. I suspect that most of us thought that Saints and Ross County were capable of picking up points yesterday and they did. On the other hand they knew we hadn't won a game in 2015 and weren't going to win yesterday and to be fair many of our own thought that too. On the contrary we did. They would have thought they were playing for the play off place. That would have sent shock waves through their respective dressing rooms. The C & A down and outs aren't down and out after all. Whats more Scott MacDonald wasn't fully fit and will only get better and the same could be said for Stephen Pearson. They'll know we did well yesterday but that we'll only get better.

As much as yesterday was encouraging and I wiped my brow afterwards, I don't agree with many that it was our best performance of the season. I would argue that the Dundee Utd game after McCall left was better. Lost a popular and successful manager, team lacking the 8 players we had available yesterday, for me that is the game that showed real grit and determination.

Can only reiterate what's already been said. That was absolutely massive in terms of significance for us yesterday and the positives go way beyond just earning 3 points.

We defended from the front and the desire to win the ball (often at any cost) was obvious.

Confident knocking it about on the deck often in tight spaces.

Best performances of the season from Lasley and Mcmanus.

Law (mistake aside) was immense. I was surprised how much he won in the air.

Skippy. Full stop.

Erwin knocking his pan in.

Movement off the ball from every player.

Ainsworth doing what we know he can.

Moore looking entirely composed, linked very well with Erwin when he came on.

I could go on..

If we continue to put that effort from now until the end of the season we'll win more than we'll lose.

The fight goes on!

Frazzle said at the start of the game if we came out of the day in the same position as we started it, we'd have had a good day as we had by far the toughest fixture. Don't say this often, but he was bang on. The fact we did and won and got some belief back at the same time is the cherry on the cake.

Sutton on McDonald off did alter the way the game was being played and we lost our way at that point. I think either part of that subby was acceptable but not both. It was shown how we grasped the nettle back when bringing Moore on for Erwin that we have the players to win in different scenarios. Good game against a very good team.

What I saw was a free kick 30 yards out, Skippy (last game mid Jan) and Erwin had run themselves ragged up until that point. Sutton came on to replace the diminutive Skippy as he is known for his prowess in the air and strength to possibly take advantage of the ball being pumped into the 18 yard box. A few minutes later Erwin replaced for Moore so you again have a tall target man and a nippy wee guy playing off him.

Sorry for some that Baraclough doesn't replace a like for like to keep you happy but there is sometimes method to the perceived madness.

What about the other matches we won? Did you tie your laces back to front that day?

I was there on Saturday. I haven't seen us lose this season or fail to score (all home matches):

Stjarnan, St Mirren, County, ICT and Partick.

I'm going to be going more often now. ^_^