Motherwell V Ross County 02/05/15

Yabba's Turd

I thought McDonald was poor by his standards, his link up play was below par and he gave away possession cheaply on several occasions. Pearson was another one who was guilty of wasting possession in good areas, however to call them wage thieves if fucking ridiculous. A few weeks ago during our good run of form they were the ones being credited with saving of our season and after a couple of poor performances, which wasn't anything to do with lack of effort, they are now the main culprits for our recent poor performances. Incredible.

I don't see how you can accuse the team of being gutless or lacking in fight today, I've accused the team of similar on too many occasions this season but not today. I thought they looked pretty up for it and started the game well and deservedly took the lead through a well worked goal. Grant playing on the right was obviously designed with the idea in mind of getting Law down the outside which worked to perfection for our goal. We then spurned several good opportunities to double our lead due to poor decision making and poor quality in the final third. Then as is typical of our season, even when we were defending alright a defensive fuck up gifts the opposition a soft goal, being right before half time that was a real kick in the baws after a decent first half showing.

We huffed and puffed in the 2nd half but couldn't really break down County who were obviously fairly happy to leave with their point. The number of set piece opportunities we wasted was particularity frustrating, I counted at least three of Conor Grant's deliveries that bounced in their six yard box for fucks sake. Criminal that not one Motherwell player got on the end of any of them.

If any team deserved to win it was probably us, I suppose that's no surprise given our need was the greater but I don't think we really did enough to claim we deserved all three. Outside of Pearson's shot I don't remember Brown really having a save to make. A decent enough performance but slightly underwhelming given the circumstances, Lasley and Hammell the standouts.

Can we still do it? Let's just concentrating on beating Killie next week and we can at least give ourselves half a chance.

• Like 2

I don't see the negativity towards McDonald to be honest?

He's a class above anybody at the club right now

Great to see Hammell back, superb today

McDonald scored today. Our bunch of self flagellants hate anyone that can actually give us a fighting chance of winning a game.

McDonald was half great, half poor today. I guess inconsistent is the word that covers it but you can hardly complain about something coming into a struggling team and scoring 4 from 9.

Thomas should have been on earlier with Grant moved inside. They were happy enough to sit in and we needed someone who's able to play a decent pass at the edge of their box.

Spot on. I don't understand how you can dominate by huffing and puffing then fail to bring on the one player that is capable of carving out a chance.

Thomas should have been on earlier with Grant moved inside. They were happy enough to sit in and we needed someone who's able to play a decent pass at the edge of their box.

We've been crying out for Thomas to get some decent time for months and it's never happened.

Why not?

Why when the team has been struggling so much and this player clearly has ability, are we not using him more?!?!

How anyone can criticise the team or individual players for lack of effort is beyond me.

Bunch of moaning faced gits on here.

The players were up for it and that was clear. What was also self evident was that our lack of quality in the final 3rd cost us. Erwin, Pearson and Skippy were wasteful on number of occasions.

Would like to see the Pearson penalty claim again. It might not have been one, but it sure looked like one.

We have a slim chance if we can beat Kill ie which we will. It is probably too late and we probably merit 11th over the season. Missing Hamell for most of it has been a blow and today showed why.

Keep the faith

• Like 1

Yes - chill ya fud - hence the LOL and the fact that he was prone when the shot hit meant that it was clearly a tongue in cheek remark.

Were you at the game?

Fud? Haha great patter wee chap. And I was thanks for asking :D

A lot of negativity on the boards yet again this evening, largely unmerited. Let's give the opposition some credit. RC battled hard today, played the referee to perfection and threw their bodies at everything. We matched them and could have with a bit of luck got the win. Let's not forget that this team have been for some weeks now on an incredible run. That does not happen by accident and today was always going to be very difficult.

Exactly this. Ross County played exactly as we should have expected them to. Not great to watch but very competitive and streetwise and ruthless. They played the referee almost to perfection. This is exactly why they've been on such a good run. They also enjoy a lot of luck and because of that are difficult to beat.

For our part we created a lot but the final ball often let us down and we lacked that killer touch. The lads put a lot of effort in but just weren't good enough. Defensive wise we left a bit to be desired. Stevie Hammell had a reasonable comeback but looked a wee bit uncomfortable in the second half as he was caught out of position once or twice. Conor Grant steadied the central midfield a bit but we sacrificed presence on the right to balance that and looked a bit narrow.

Referee was a model of inconsistency but thats another matter.

Its all very well trying to play nice football but it doesn't win points.

It was actually a pretty decent game considering where both teams are, definitely no lack of effort from either team.We probably edged it but things just weren't falling for us around the box and they defended well too.

...And I see sky sports news already have us in the playoff. :nyam:

Watched the highlights there and again we had enough more than enough chances to win the game. Also really like the look of Grant, he's streets ahead of Lasley and should be starting in the middle every week imo.

• Like 1

Nothing against Lee Erwin, but I think if John Sutton had started that game we would have won. The balls that Grant and Johnson put in from set plays in the first half were tailor made for him and I suspect he would have got on the end of one of them.

Thought we played well enough yesterday against a team who are playing well and knew that a draw did them. They were defensively organised and tough to break down and I was impressed we managed to do it and score such a well worked goal (Well played Josh Law!).

Sadly in the second half Johnson's influence waned. We upped it a bit when Ainsworth came on but it seemed like there was no massive urgency in the last twenty minutes when the ball went out of play to get it back and things like that. You may slag Alan Burrows off but he at least realised we needed the ball back in quickly, something only Law, Lasley, Hammell and Sutton seemed to on the pitch.

I have no idea what a yellow card offence is with that referee. How Quinn got booked and their no 44 didn't for his cynical kick on Johnson is just bizarre.

• Like 1

The referee really was awful and was totally inconsistent with decisions and yellow cards. Ross County could easily have picked up 2 yellow cards in the first 10 - 15 minutes. They quickly latched on to his lenience and took full advantage. No sympathy for Paul Quinn as he committed a professional foul on a player who had skinned him although he did take one for the team. I've rarely seen a Scots team guilty of so many dives but it worked and thats all that matters to them.