Josh Law

Foxesfandale

Hi Every one,

Leicester City fan in peace, With the season coming to an end i just wanted to know how you feel Josh Law has done for you? I'm a good friend of his and went to school with him, I've not had a chance to come up to Fir Park yet this season to see the mighty Steelmen play (will be next season hopefully in SPL)

What is his best position?

Do you think he could cut it in the English football league or even higher?

One thing i do know from watching him at Alfreton is he is very good at dead ball situation has he been taking many free kicks and corners for you?

I dont even mind if you think hes been rubbish it just gives me some more ammunition on him ;) ha

P.s Also my dads half scots and always had a soft spot for Motherwell so was very happy when Josh signed.

Edited by Foxesfandale

This could be awkward.....oh wait you said you didn't mind if we say he's rubbish.

McCall insisted in playing him in midfield and he was truly dire. At right back he's been a bit better but not of the quality that we need there if we want to be anything other than strugglers.

Basically he's playing at a level beyond his ability.

On the positive side he's not signed for Rangers, although we might not have minded as much as we did in Nicky's case.

Hi Every one,

Leicester City fan in peace, With the season coming to an end i just wanted to know how you feel Josh Law has done for you? I'm a good friend of his and went to school with him, I've not had a chance to come up to Fir Park yet this season to see the mighty Steelmen play (will be next season hopefully in SPL)

What is his best position?

Do you think he could cut it in the English football league or even higher?

One thing i do know from watching him at Alfreton is he is very good at dead ball situation has he been taking many free kicks and corners for you?

I dont even mind if you think hes been rubbish it just gives me some more ammunition on him ;) ha

P.s Also my dads half scots and always had a soft spot for Motherwell so was very happy when Josh signed.

Hiya josh, hiya pal

• Like 1

The worst thing that happened to Law was scoring those two goals on his debut.

He was already perceived by many supporters as only being at the club because of his family connection so when he failed to build on that completely unexpected start to his 'Well career left him in an uncomfortable position.

McCall didn't help matters by at first percevering longer than his performances merited intitally playing off a lone striker and then basically pitching him on whatever wing he were lacking bodies in. It would certainly have helped him if he could have played his way into the side on the quiet.

In fairness though he's never shirked, never hid, continued to give his all and I was pleased for him when he was able to make the right-back position his own of late, just for the way he hung in there and turned things around a bit.

Ultimately I would have to say he hasn't shown a level of quality that we would hope to have in the team to return to recent glories though so perhaps it's time to look elsewhere next season and beyond.

• Like 1

Unfortunately he's always been fighting a losing battle as he was a target for some as a "lazy signing" by McCall before he'd even kicked a ball. Still not entirely sure how that was actually his fault, but negativity towards him was quite evident from early on because of it.

He works hard and tends not to chuck it quite as easily as his team-mates. In fact, during the absolute doing at Dens Park when we appeared to have a team of players resigned to relegation already, Law was the only player bursting his arse for the full 90 minutes.

He's managed to make the right-back position his own despite being in a squad of right-backs. He does a fairly average job there, nothing more and nothing else, and there are a number of players who have performed worse than Law on a consistent basis. For that reason I think he gets a bit of stick that's unmerited - perhaps because he's less fashionable than some of our other players.

I'd be content to keep him as a squad player for next season, someone who can come in and put a shift in when required due to suspension or injury, but I certainly wouldn't be looking to him as a long-term first choice player.

• Like 1

Given we could almost field a team entirely made up of right backs, and he's the best of them, he can't be that bad.

I wasn't sure at 1st, I did question if we'd not only just signed him because he was Nicky laws brother, but also that mccall thought he could just shoehorn him into his old position, which didn't really work.

I think he's pretty steady at right back, much in the same way Hammell is at left back, rarely spectacular, but decent, reliable etc.

Could make a case for him as our POTY, he'd certainly be on my shortlist.

He probably gets an unfair hard time.

I don't think it ever was a valid comparison. However, if we didn't sign Josh Law and offered another year to an injury-prone, has-been McFadden (on a higher wage I'd imagine), I doubt our season would have been any better.

Playing a conference north right back in a free role behind the striker at the start of the season must have contributed to McCall losing the dressing room.

Unsubstantiated, biased opinion masquerading as fact is what makes this place so entertaining.

• Like 5

To think some notable posters on this here board heralded his addition as more worthy than offering McFadden a contract. Chortle.

Not to go off topic but I would still rather we had Law than McFadden. Faddy has been garbage this year for St J and, much as I love him, would have been a waste of a wage.

I like him. He's been fairly solid since moving to right back and never hides, both of which is an achievement when you consider the bigger picture - team devoid of confidence, constantly changing backline (until Laing came in) and basically playing all over the pitch and only recently forming partnerships. Without being spectcular, I reckon he'd thrive in a better team.

Regardless of quality, if every player in the squad had the same mentality as Josh Law we wouldn't be sitting 11th staring at relegation.

• Like 3

Law like most of our signings from the English lower divisions haven't cut it.We should've done what Dundee did and brought in experienced Scottish players who had played in the league before and knew what to expect.

Whether or not I agree with your assessment of Josh Law, to say all of our signings from the English lower leagues have been failures is unquestionably a lie...

Don't entirely agree Ian. When he first signed for us I was impressed and said so. As Andy P said perhaps scoring 2 goals early on was misleading and did him no favours. As the season wore on I began to have doubts about him but in fairness he was more often than not played out of position in midfield. I think RB is his best position but in the past couple of months I don't think he's played especially well. Hasn't made any out and out blunders but generally his lack of positional sense has let him down and cost a 2 or 3 goals. At Hamilton he was anonymous - odd for a right back.

Seems a decent sort though and good luck to him.

I thought he was signed as a squad player to maybe try and develop into a bit of a player, little by little. Instead, he's played pretty much the entire season, sadly. By the way, we lose a barrowload of goals from his position though to be fair we plain old lose a barrowload of goals from every position. I, personally, wouldn't be offering him another contract even if we do drop down

I like him. He's been fairly solid since moving to right back and never hides, both of which is an achievement when you consider the bigger picture - team devoid of confidence, constantly changing backline (until Laing came in) and basically playing all over the pitch and only recently forming partnerships. Without being spectcular, I reckon he'd thrive in a better team.

Regardless of quality, if every player in the squad had the same mentality as Josh Law we wouldn't be sitting 11th staring at relegation.

Agree completely, never does anything flashy just goes about his job very similar to Stevie Hammell.

I like him at full-back.

COF hit the nail on the head when he said if every player had Law's mentality we wouldn't be 11th. Gives 100% every week and that's all you can ask for!