Jake Taylor

Kmcalpin

I've had one or two reports that Jake Taylor had a reasonable debut last night. An FPC report described him as being "A steady Eddie sort of player with good passing and awareness without too much flair." Sounds a bit like Conor Grant. If so, is he really the sort of player we need? Any initial views from someone who was there last night?

Certainly didn't do any harm to the game. Thought bringing Lasley off instead of him was a big mistake though. He played reasonably well, probably one of the better performer on the night. Saying that, it's not exactly difficult. Time will tell but there are some positive signs there.

• Like 1

His Reading form early last season got him into a Wales squad that is flying. He's likely to have something about him.

A Reading fan that I know told me that we have signed a decent player and he reckons that the boy has an excellent international future ahead of him. He described him as a solid steady player who makes very few mistakes and is someone who can also provide a goal threat. Given time I am sure he will make an excellent addition to the squad.

I've had one or two reports that Jake Taylor had a reasonable debut last night. An FPC report described him as being "A steady Eddie sort of player with good passing and awareness without too much flair." Sounds a bit like Conor Grant. If so, is he really the sort of player we need? Any initial views from someone who was there last night?

I don't think that description sounds anything like Connor Grant at all. The games he got in the middle of the park he was all quick feet and dropping shoulders to go past players, throwing in a few flicks and tricks here and there. Very close to Dom Thomas in style.

Certainly didn't do any harm to the game. Thought bringing Lasley off instead of him was a big mistake though. He played reasonably well, probably one of the better performer on the night. Saying that, it's not exactly difficult. Time will tell but there are some positive signs there.

Taking Lasley off and leaving McDonald on was the big mistake.

Taylor never really showed a great deal, but he looked more composed and looks to be a nice crisp passer of the ball, something our centre backs need to learn and quickly. The number of times we laboured over balls to the full backs from the middle two was ridiculous. By the time the ball got to them, they're marker was all over them like a rash.

• Like 1

Actually now you mention January, it might have passed me by at the time of Jake's signing but I noticed in the programme last week that whilst he's signed until the end of the season there is a break option in the deal that presumably could see things terminated in January.

We might well have had that in place in other loan deals but I can't ever remember that being made public before.

Either way I hope over time he can have an increasing impact on proceedings.

Gie the guy a chance.

He's played 2 games ..... Against Aberdeen didn't do anything spectacular but did not give the ball away always found his man with his passes unlike a lot of others in our team. Wasn't at game yesterday only seen highliligts and there did not seem to be a lot between the teams.

Don't think playing in a 2 man midfield with Kiethy running about like a headless chicken helps him. Think we will see the best of him when Pearson returns and we play 3 in midfield Taylor on right Lasley in the middle (for 60 to 65 minutes), that all we get out of him nowadays and Pearson on the left.

This would mean that a decision has to be made between the 2 wingers Johnstone and Ainsworth but it has to be made as we have been outnumbered in midfield in very game this season bar Inverness when Chalmers played in midfield (guess what .... We won)

Gie the guy a chance.

He's played 2 games ..... Against Aberdeen didn't do anything spectacular but did not give the ball away always found his man with his passes unlike a lot of others in our team. Wasn't at game yesterday only seen highliligts and there did not seem to be a lot between the teams.

Don't think playing in a 2 man midfield with Kiethy running about like a headless chicken helps him. Think we will see the best of him when Pearson returns and we play 3 in midfield Taylor on right Lasley in the middle (for 60 to 65 minutes), that all we get out of him nowadays and Pearson on the left.

This would mean that a decision has to be made between the 2 wingers Johnstone and Ainsworth but it has to be made as we have been outnumbered in midfield in very game this season bar Inverness when Chalmers played in midfield (guess what .... We won)

Facts:

Taylor has played three games.

Chalmers also played midfield against Dundee United. We lost.

Lasley has been one of the few players to get pass marks from the majority of the support in most games this season.

• Like 2