Stephen Pearson

sbcmfc

It's a shame he seems to be made of chocolate these days, as I think he's a really important part of our team.

To back up my theory, I did a bit of research....

Results since he signed in January:

With Pearson:

P-16 W-8 D-2 L-6

Without Pearson:

P-8 W-0 D-2 L-6

So we haven't won a game without Pearo since he signed.

Look at who we played at the end of last season and who we played at the start of this season.

We also had some of our weakest performances when he was in the team last season.

So while I agree he's an important player, I still say it's a meaningless stat.

Look at who we played at the end of last season and who we played at the start of this season.

We also had some of our weakest performances when he was in the team last season.

So while I agree he's an important player, I still say it's a meaningless stat.

He's been involved in all of our better performances where we've lost, but that is true, he's been involved in a few howlers too!

Just thought it was an interesting stat, I was quite surprised we hadn't won a single game he hasn't played in.

However unnecessary it was, being injured in a challenge that left one guy with a broken leg and the other needing an operation hardly constitutes "being made of chocolate".

I just get the impression he's going to be like Stephen Hughes (1st spell), always coming back from 1 injury, then picking up another and never quite 100%.

I just get the impression he's going to be like Stephen Hughes (1st spell), always coming back from 1 injury, then picking up another and never quite 100%.

Pearson is a dedicated athlete who in his prime, had one of the best engines in British football outwith the EPL.

As much as I liked Stephen Hughes as a playmaker, not sure he was quite so committed to being an athlete.

The only thing I take from that is it's a glaring omission to not have cover as influential as he appears to be pivotal to our success. Not really felt we had a combative midfield since the days of Jennings (yes including the 3rd and 2nd place finishes).

This is largely what I don't get either. We have a position/role that is clearly key to the way we're trying to play but by all accounts only have one effective player to fill that role.

Certainly Pearson is, for us, an excellent player and it'd be a stretch to see us having a back up at an equal level but even still we don't seem to have anyone with vaguely comparable qualities that we're willing to start.

By extension you then have to start asking what our alternative/plan B is.

The alternative is to find cover. That isn't easy though. As Baraclough said in his interview today, he doesn't think there is anyone else in this league that is as good.

Whether you believe that or not, it's going to be difficult to find (and afford) someone as good as Pearson who is willing to sit on the bench as cover most weeks.

Still a little surprised Chalmers wasn't used in that role. Not a straight swap, but seems to be a worker and doesn't get a nose bleed crossing the half-way line.

Still a little surprised Chalmers wasn't used in that role. Not a straight swap, but seems to be a worker and doesn't get a nose bleed crossing the half-way line.

Chalmers is a decent player but does lack pace unfortunately - maybe not the best guy to motor up and down the park.

Stephen Hughes v Stephen Pearson?

Hardly like for like

When the game gets competitive Hughes disappeared whereas Pearson wants a sway are go

Hughes got injured by getting kicked

Pearson by kicking everything

No comparison whatsoever

The comparison was more that; like Hughes, I have a worry that we'll rarely see Pearson 100% fit.

I think Hughes 2nd spell has damaged the memory of his 1st spell, where he was a big player for us.

I hope this won't be the case with Pearo.