Motherwell V Dundee Sat 12 Dec 15:00

Yabba's Turd

I was sceptical of Moult to start with, but by fuck he has proven me wrong this season. Baraclough was a disaster on so many levels, but like Gannon before him, he has managed to pluck a few gems out of thin air

I'm hoping guys like Moult appeared on the radar thanks to our new scouting infrastructure, but happy to give Baraclough credit if it was him that identified him.

Hit 20 goals, sell him on for a few hundred grand, let Fletcher do the same next season, and our business plan start to take shape. Maybe.

• Like 1

[quote name="ONeils40yarder" post="459677" timestamp="1449948776"

....Overall, we looked so much more organised than we have done for almost 2 years, a lot of that must be put down to the slight change in formation with 3 in the middle giving far better protection to our back line. 2nd half was a bit ropey at times and McGhees subs could have been utilized earlier to attempt to take the pressure off, but over the course of the 90, we were a million miles better than Dundee.

I think that things went a bit tits up today when Ainsworth came on (although I'm not blaming him more the system) and we started playing with one up front and two out and out wingers. Ainsworth and Johnson just are not the type of players who track back to help in defence, causing our back four to be pulled around. before the second winger came on Grimshaw was helping covering one wing allowing our central defence to help cover for Johnson but as I said once Grimshaw moved more central they started pulling our defence around.

I think that things went a bit tits up today when Ainsworth came on and we started playing with one up front and two out and out wingers. Ainsworth and Johnson just are not the type of players who track back to help in defence, causing our back four to be pulled around. before the second winger came on Grimshaw was helping covering one wing allowing our central defence to help cover for Johnson but as I said once Grimshaw moved more central they started pulling our defence around.

Definitely...the choice of player coming off surprised me, as I thought we'd go directly like for like with Johnston making way. It was apparent that it was a mistake and the gaffer rectified it by bringing Clarkson on for Johnston, albeit a bit later than I would have liked.

An important win for us today and it was possibly the best performance of the season. Some good football and we're gradually looking more organised although our off the ball work rate has to improve drastically. For me Lou Moult was the MOTM although young Hall had a very impressive debut. Moult has a high work rate with not a little skill. I thought too that Keith Lasley had his best game for a while although he did go missing for a longish spell in the second half, as did Pearson and Grimshaw. The two full backs had a mixed game. Hammell and especially Law looked very good on the ball but they were all too easily caught out of position in the second half. Law in particular had a rather uncomfortable time of it when the young Liverpudlian, Calder, appeared on the scene.

We played some good football, especially in the first half and it would have been no injustice to go in at the interval 3 or 4 goals up. The players are also starting to look more confident. Overall a good team performance but we did lose our way a bit in the second half, especially following the substitutions. For a lengthy spell Dundee piled on the pressure after the break and it came as no surprise when they scored. 2-0 can be an awkward lead and we looked uncomfortable whilst trying to defend and soak up pressure. Still we held out until the third goal sealed it.

A bit surprising to see Ben Hall make his debut as Mark McGhee hadn't mentioned him but Dylan Mackin's late, but welcome appearance from the bench, was less of a surprise. Louis Laing's absence remains a mystery. Good to see MMcG use some youth.

The most disappointing aspect of the game for me was our off the ball play. We need to work a lot harder in closing opposition players down and denying them space. Dundee were given far too much space at time in spells, but in fairness Mark McGhee knows this. If we can rectify this weakness we'll be a top 6 side. In fairness though we thoroughly deserved our 3-1 win and our weakness should be viewed in that context.

• Like 2

Excellent all round performance today. Barring a brief spell when Dundee tried to force the issue and got their goal, we pumped them and the margin of victory should have been far, far greater which is really encouraging.

Another excellent display by the ever improving Louis Moult who we will be lucky to hang onto at this rate, Johnson again shows how unplayable he can be, Pearson and Grimshaw really supporting attacks whilst at the same time not forgetting their midfield duties facing the other way, just look at Pearson's desire to get that third goal to see the improvement!

It's taken a bit of time, but I think McGhee has worked the players hard since he returned and he's beginning to reap the benefits. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go on a run and challenge for the top six. Player for Player, we are better than most above us right now. It looks as though those players are now starting to show that fact and we are more than capable of beating the rest of the teams in this league, Celtic include, when the players have the belief in their own ability.

I was a critic of McGhee's return, but I accepted he may be the right man at the right time. I believe this is and will be proven a correct assessment come the end of the season.

• Like 2

Ainsworth and Johnson just are not the type of players who track back to help in defence

I actually thought Johnson did his fair share yesterday, albeit most of his tackling and harrying happened a bit further up the pitch. It was good to see him look properly fired up.

Ainsworth on the other hand....

• Like 1

Echoing much of what has been said already it was a pleasing result and performance. I was quietly confident beforehand to the extent that I even put on us my coupon which I usually avoid doing at all costs.

A great start again getting the goal so early. Perhaps another of the McGhee traits of first time around beginning to through again where we often started with a high pace and tempo. I haven't seen the highlights but at the time from our angle there was almost muted celebrations as we waited for the linesman to stick up his flag, then the ref....then it became it clear that it couldn't have been as offside as it appeared from our view.

We allowed Dundee to come back into it a little more whilst generally looking comfortable and still posing the greater threat when we went forward. Bain had a couple of decent stops and a bit more accurate with the pass or the run into space and we could easily have been three or four up at the beak.

I felt we dropped off a bit in the second half. That old adage about 2-0 being an awkward lead seem to be borne out as we looked a little tentative in terms of going to kill it off in case we left gaps at the back but in failing to do so we gave Dundee a greater share of the ball. Noting Kmcalpin's view, which was also quite vocally shared by the boy in front of us in the East Stand at the game, I couldn't honestly say I felt a goal was coming from them and I felt we were under no greater threat of conceding then than at any time previously in the game.

I could understand McGhee's substitution prior to the goal though. Two goals to the good, on another day Lionel and Johnson bombing down the wings on the break could be, and has been, very productive for us but it never quite happened yesterday and after conceding the change appeared to have backfired a little as we then looked pretty disjointed and were riding our luck a little for the next 10 minutes.

But we re-grouped, re-organised and looked reasonably comfortable again thereafter.

The Clarkson change looked a real odd one though ofcourse it proved to be wise in the end. It seemed a fresh injection of pace might have been more beneficial at the time but perhaps McGhee thought an old head and the experience he would bring could help see us over the line.

Great to get the third before the end to give the result a more true reflection and to find we'd moved further clear of Dundee Utd and up a place in the league.

Much of the team continues to pick itself but there's a decision to be made next weekend when it comes to going to Parkhead as regards Ben Hall. I couldn't subscribe to some chat I've read about it being the best debut from a youngster in years but it says much that he came and looked completely at ease and some way from being a guy making his senior debut. Interesting to see if McGhee considers Parkhead a good game to aid his development or a game too soon for him.

But good progress and and enjoyable outcome yesterday certainly.

It's hard to disagree that our best players right now are all barracloughs signings. That said if you throw shite at the moon the law of averages suggests it will be successful some time

How about I disagree.

Hammell's return, like last season, has been a huge benefit to the team.

And for me the two best players on the park yesterday were Moult and Lasley.

• Like 1

I could understand McGhee's substitution prior to the goal though. Two goals to the good, on another day Lionel and Johnson bombing down the wings on the break could be, and has been, very productive for us but it never quite happened yesterday and after conceding the change appeared to have backfired a little as we then looked pretty disjointed and were riding our luck a little for the next 10 minutes.

One thing that's bothered me recently, and this concerns both McGhee and Baraclough, is why we keep switching the wingers.

Ainsworth is a right winger and Johnson is a left winger and when you have them switch sides they are both a lot less effective.

If you are going to bring on Ainsworth, as we did yesterday, it's pretty pointless in my opinion to have him standing out on the left, half the time.

As a kit fan it was interesting to see both sides wearing their diagonal sash tops. I can’t remember the last time two sides turned out at Fir Park both wearing classic diagonal sash shirt designs.

_87178320_moult.jpg

one for or the photo history buffs, here is an image from the same fixture from around Sept 1984. On this occasion we lost 3-1 and the crowd doesn’t look much bigger.

290984-premier-division-motherwell-v-dun

• Like 1

very enjoyable game

when McDonald went off McGhee changed the formation too and that seemed to give Dundee too much space on the wings which lead to their goal but a great response from the Well to lift the pace and get another goal

onwards and upwards

I wasnt at the Hearts game but that was our best performance of the season for me.

Thought we were the better team throughout, even in the second half when they were causing us more problems. I always felt we were dangerous on the break.

Harkins is a player who always seems to do well against us so wasnt surprised when he scored off the bench.

All in all a very assured performance and a deserved 3 points.

How about I disagree.

Hammell's return, like last season, has been a huge benefit to the team.

And for me the two best players on the park yesterday were Moult and Lasley.

I suppose it's about opinions then. Although your opinions seem to be swayed by your perma hard on for all things Keith Lasley. He was good yesterday as was all the team but I wouldn't have had him in the top 5 performers. Bet hey ho it's all about opinions.

A massive 3 points and great to see a win. A bit disappointed at the way we started the second half and when Dundee got a goal back I feared the worst. Pleased to see Clarkson get some game time and his driven cross for the 3rd was a belter. Some run from Pearo to get on the end of it. I'm not a fan of him in general but I thought McManus was excellent yesterday. Moult is on some run of form also. Like others have mentioned, if we're going to play Ainsworth then it's the right wing only.

Hope we can take the positive form into the games over Christmas and New Year.

• Like 2

As a kit fan it was interesting to see both sides wearing their diagonal sash tops. I can’t remember the last time two sides turned out at Fir Park both wearing classic diagonal sash shirt designs.

one for or the photo history buffs, here is an image from the same fixture from around Sept 1984. On this occasion we lost 3-1 and the crowd doesn’t look much bigger.

That's my old man in the photo, first body in the crowd on the right hand side of the goalpost in the net.

I'd be in the choir on the other side of the fence.

• Like 1

I suppose it's about opinions then. Although your opinions seem to be swayed by your perma hard on for all things Keith Lasley. He was good yesterday as was all the team but I wouldn't have had him in the top 5 performers. Bet hey ho it's all about opinions.

Agreed.

No doubt having Lasley and Hammell back makes a massive difference to the team but I wouldn't single either of them out as having particularly better games than any other Motherwell player yesterday.

Moult, Pearson and Grimshaw would have been my top picks yesterday incidentally. Also thought the much maligned McManus had a good game alongside young Ben Hall who had a good, solid debut. Kept it simple and didn't get caught fannying about like Kennedy did several times against Hearts. Ripley also much more assertive, sharp of his line this week after his hesitancy at Hearts first goal the other week. Looked like something they'd been working on in training.

The whole team would get pass marks for me though. First half the best we've played in a long time, could easily have gone in 3 or 4 goals up. Bit more difficult in the 2nd half but the team dug in and got the deserved 3 points.

_87178320_moult.jpg

290984-premier-division-motherwell-v-dun

Bearing in mind that 1983 team was monumentally shite, I don't doubt the crowd was poor!!

An over the hill Shuggie Edvaldsson and Aberdeen reject Andy Dornan on show in that pic, Products of the Jock Wallace conveyor belt of mud!!

After Sutton left someone else had to get the hard on from Ya Bezzer I suppose....

Hammell and Lasley are key but no where near our currently best performing players.

Moult, Johnson, Skippy are making the major difference at this moment for me. Not far behind I would say Grimshaw and Pearo....then probably Las and Hammell.

Bearing in mind that 1983 team was monumentally shite, I don't doubt the crowd was poor!!

An over the hill Shuggie Edvaldsson and Aberdeen reject Andy Dornan on show in that pic, Products of the Jock Wallace conveyor belt of mud!!

I used to like Andy Dornan ,Was he not part of a double signing from Aberdeen ?

After Sutton left someone else had to get the hard on from Ya Bezzer I suppose....

Hammell and Lasley are key but no where near our currently best performing players.

Moult, Johnson, Skippy are making the major difference at this moment for me. Not far behind I would say Grimshaw and Pearo....then probably Las and Hammell.

Yet when Hammell and Lasley were missing we got pumped twice by average sides in poor performances.