Scottish Cup - Fifth Round Motherwell V Inverness Caley Thistle Sat 6 Feb 15:00

prideoflanarkshire

I think Ainsworth needs to be given a start and a chance to make amends for last night and prove his McGhee wrong for his obvious disdain. I'd rest moult as he has been struggling for form recently and depending on Hall may need to play Kennedy and think Pearson needs a rest. I'd like to see something like

Ripley

Law hall mcmanus Hammell

Cadden Lasley Gomis

Ainsworth Johnson

McDonald

I don't think we have much choice but to go same again if Pearson's fit.

If he's not it's a straight switch for Gomis but otherwise our options are non existent.

We do. Not a huge range of options admittedly but assuming all midfielders are fit, Gomis could replace Lasley, Pearson or Cadden. We do need a defensive midfielder and badly.

Inverness struggled to cope with Fletcher on the opening game of the season and with Moults dip in form, i would start Fletcher. If fit he is due a run to let us see what he can do. Would also play Ainsworth instead of Johnson.

Fletcher had chances from the bench against both Hearts and Dundee recently and was absolutely honking. So barring injury he doesn't deserve a start even taking into consideration how poor Moult and McDonald have been in recent weeks.

Ainsworth won't start neither as it's quite clear McGhee doesn't like him hence the reason McGhee basically singled him out last night.

Ainsworth won't start neither as it's quite clear McGhee doesn't like him hence the reason McGhee basically singled him out last night.

I'm generally in the pro-Ainsworth camp, but he didn't do himself any favours last night with his ball watching at the goal.

• Like 1

I'm generally in the pro-Ainsworth camp, but he didn't do himself any favours last night with his ball watching at the goal.

McGhee with some very thinly veiled criticism in his interview last night. "It was my decision to put him on".... say's it all.

Ainsworth remains one of my favourite 'well players, and I can't help but feel for him going from 'superstar' to quite clearly out of favour however he's failed to take almost every opportunity given to him under McGhee and last night was just another example of something not being quite right with him.

Don't know if anyone has seen the interview in the evening times with Ainsworth but he basically admits that manager and a few experienced players singled him for criticism at the goal last night and says he is gonna work harder than ever before to make sure we don't end up in the play off spot. I feel he has been very harshly treated.

Crikey...not often you read that and also what goes on in the dressing room. Very honest and I kind of. like that.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/lionel-ainsworth-in-tears-over-blame-for-motherwell-defeat-1-4020480?

To be fair McGhee does not go all out and blame him but it is thinly veiled like said above. Ainsworth in my opinion has been great for us with his goals and assists. Hopefully McGhee can get him playing well at what he does well and this does not alienate him.

Ainsworth being scapegoated as far as I can see there. Considering the number of goals McManus and his disorganised mess of a back line chuck in, Ainsworth, as a squad player, makes a good target for the latest disappointment.

Not going on Sat. That Hearts game burst my enthusiasm past being willing to pay to see us play Inverness yet a bloody gain this season.

I like Ainsworth overall but he's been rotten this season which is why he's not in the team while someone like Johnson, not exactly a model of consistency himself, plays ever week.

Ainsworth has the talent to play at a higher level than us but basically he needs to pull the finger out because he's not worth the money we spend on him right now.

If there are harsh words in the dressing room, fine, as long as they are honest ones.

Would love him to get back to form, we need the goals he scored in previous seasons for a start.

not inpressed with the scapegoating here. Ainsworth deserves better. McGhee,McManus,McDonald,Law,Chalmers and pretty much anyone else in the squad has made a cunt of it many times over the season,do they all get the treatment? I had to laugh reading that tho. By senior players he has to mean Lasley,McManus & Prob Skippy,Hammy & Pearo. Probably the worst players in the squad for marking and defensive solidity

not inpressed with the scapegoating here.

Not impressed either. It very much depends on the personality and character of the player concerned. If its someone who is thick skinned or arrogant then maybe ok but if the individual is more sensitive or humble maybe not the best idea in the world. We don't know what was said or how it was said however. I'm far from convinced that Ainsworth was 100% to blame anyway. It sounds as though he was wheeled out for a public humiliation, although that may not be right.

Crikey...not often you read that and also what goes on in the dressing room. Very honest and I kind of. like that.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/lionel-ainsworth-in-tears-over-blame-for-motherwell-defeat-1-4020480?

To be fair McGhee does not go all out and blame him but it is thinly veiled like said above. Ainsworth in my opinion has been great for us with his goals and assists. Hopefully McGhee can get him playing well at what he does well and this does not alienate him.

It's good to see that bullying is alive and kicking at MFC.

Why do we all ways need a PTB.

Was at firhill and there were others more culpable that Ainsworth. Never been a McGhee fan but he is more culpable than any of the players. High balls to skippy high balls not going behind defenders.

I some times think tic tacs would give the players better instructions.

Edited by jcrerard

Not overly impressed with the scapegoaing either, not least because it's a bit tenuous to blame Ainsworth for the goal.

Our players routinely back off when someone in about to get a cross into the box etc - Are we going to slaughter them all?

The hurried and slack passes/clearances allowed Thisle to keep pressure on