Hearts V Motherwell Sat 16 January

Graeme Bremner

This was always going to be difficult with Lasley missing but it's just got a whole lot harder.

If McGhee can somehow pull off a masterstroke in midfield then I'd play both wingers with Skippy dropping a bit deeper.

Suspect we'll lose this by a couple.

You've just described the August visit to Tynecastle...

I'd try and patch up the midfield and continue with the three in there, with one winger. Whether we give Cadden a go, alongside Laing as the holding player and Pearson, who knows?

It's a tough game, against one of the top sides. Losing this won't be the end of the world

• Like 1

McDonald deeper would be a mistake, IMO.

Neilson has his number and clearly prepped the Hearts players on what to expect when we went there at the start of the season. McDonald played poorly, right enough, but Hearts didn't let him play.

Laing for Lasley, Leitch for Grimshaw, for me. Big opportunity for each of them to claim a spot.

McDonald deeper would be a mistake, IMO.

Neilson has his number and clearly prepped the Hearts players on what to expect when we went there at the start of the season. McDonald played poorly, right enough, but Hearts didn't let him play.

Laing for Lasley, Leitch for Grimshaw, for me. Big opportunity for each of them to claim a spot.

Agree 100% about dropping McDonald deeper.

I'd be surprised if Leitch got the nod. He's been nowhere near the team and hasn't got on the pitch under McGhee despite having been available to him on the bench.

If we're not able to bring anyone else in before Saturday I'd think it'd be more likely to be Cadden. You're bang on the money though in the sense it'd be a huge chance for both to claim a position.

I'm not a fan of McDonald in midfield but it may be a case of needs must and it was proven to work at Ibrox. Yes he had a nightmare by all accounts at Tynecastle but he's much sharper now than he was then.

If lasley was available, I'd be replacing Grimshaw with Cadden who is comfortable on the right. With Lasley missing though, more restructuring is required which may lead to both wingers playing. Their two fullbacks are rotten at defending.

The u20s line up is an interesting read this evening, will be interesting to see who's playing where;

Twardzik, McMillan, Chalmers, Watt, Kennedy, Laing, Falconer, Campbell, Fletcher, J. Leitch, Cadden

Subs: Long, Moore, R. Leitch, Mackin, Ferguson, Turnbull, Watters

Do players out on loan still get to play for u20s? Never noticed that before.

Regard midfield, 1st team football is some way off but I gather Allan Campbell is one that the coaching staff are keen on.

I wouldnt be changing the while system or formation for 1 match. So I would go:

Ripley

Law Hall McManus Hammell

Ainsworth Cadden Pearson Johnson

Moult McDonald

Pearson to do the Lasley role of breaking up play and Cadden to do the Pearson role of attacking more and late runs in to boxthat makes sense? Cadden is more that type of player.

Ainsworth leaves us more open on the right than having Grimshaw but gives Hearts something to think about with 2 out and out wingers.

EDIT: The other option is Cadden on the right and Laing in the middle. That's what they played in the U20s last night I think.

We've got to stick with as much of the same formula as possible, since it's worked well recently. Keep our form players (Moult, McDonald, Johnson, Hall, Pearson) where they are, and make personnel changes to fill the gaps, rather than changing the whole team around.

Any two from Laing, Leitch, Cadden (in that order) to replace Lasley and Grimshaw will do just fine.

• Like 3