4Th Place & Possible Europa Cup

Welldaft Mk1

He'll be 21 this year Fraz and I'd say its now make or break time for him. The next crop of young midfielders like Chris Cadden are now starting to overtake him. Gomis will we with us until the end of his loan contract whenever that is. I agree Leitch should be given a bit more game time now but up until now he hasn't impressed me - just don't see what he'd bring to the team.

Do we normally play youngsters post split? I can't think of those who have gotten more game time post split in recent years.

Part of Les' strategy, which McGhee appeared to buy into, was to give more youngsters first team experience. With Cadden and Hall, that has already been somewhat implemented, but it was McGhee himself that said he'd be looking to give more youngsters game time once we were safe.

Recent years are not a good precedent as that has resulted in almost zero transfer revenue for the club. Hence the change in strategy this season.

Aye, I think it would be really encouraging if we can get some of these young lads included in the first team given our position.

Ideally I would try and give Leitch and Thomas more of a run of games. As much as I haven't been a huge fan of either I don't think they have had enough match time to be fully judge. Thomas in particular seems to be talented but in my book he's not had enough end product coming off the bench. Leitch could be soon falling into a Carswell category but the last few appearances he has done better. As folk have mentioned if we can give them some games over the next few matches we can say for certain where they are, if they don't break in by early next season I would be looking to give other boys a chance. I'd also like to think there is a right back perhaps Watt who can be given a chance ahead of Law, who in my opinion has cost us a high amount of goals in the last few seasons.

Regardless of the above two real positives have come out from our youth system this season in the shape of Hall and Cadden. It just shows sometimes that when you give youth a chance you might be rewarded.

In my opinion, the young ones that are ready have been blooded during the cut and thrust of the season.

I'd like to see more of Watt and Thomas but not to the cost of £200k. McGhee will use them when he knows they are ready. Big pre-season ahead for the pair of them.

I couldn't disagree more.

Get the youngsters in the team, forget about the £200,000 ( going by the assumption you are making that blooding youngsters = automatic defeat ).

We are in wonderland, bonus ball territory - not one of us saw this coming. I'd much rather we blooded the youngsers now when it is bonus ball time and give them a psychological boost to carry them through pre-season training.

My pals grandson, who has been with Rangers since he was ten, was named in the Rangers first team squad back in November ( he's now 17 ) and while he didn't get game time, the boy is walking on air. Already determined, he's now like a dog with a bone, doing everything he can every single day to get into that team.

Now is the time for man management by McGhee - get those boys onto the first team pitch, and that is their reward for doing so well in the under 20's this year.

Or shall we just go chase a few quid and leave these young players deflated? I think not.

• Like 2

Get the youngsters in the team, forget about the £200,000 ( going by the assumption you are making that blooding youngsters = automatic defeat ).

We are in wonderland, bonus ball territory - not one of us saw this coming. I'd much rather we blooded the youngsers now when it is bonus ball time and give them a psychological boost to carry them through pre-season training.

My pals grandson, who has been with Rangers since he was ten, was named in the Rangers first team squad back in November ( he's now 17 ) and while he didn't get game time, the boy is walking on air. Already determined, he's now like a dog with a bone, doing everything he can every single day to get into that team.

Now is the time for man management by McGhee - get those boys onto the first team pitch, and that is their reward for doing so well in the under 20's this year.

Or shall we just go chase a few quid and leave these young players deflated? I think not.

If it is the choice of having a club to support or hurting some feelings then I know what I would choose.

We simply do not have the luxury to not try and finish 4th and in Europe.

Every penny is quite literally a prisoner.

Right, but what if playing a few youngsters now means we can sell them on for more, and sooner? Then it's a short term loss for a long term gain, and that is the kind of balance the new structure needs to maintain.

If we don't bring in any of them and still finish 6th, then it was a wasted opportunity. So, swings and roundabouts.

Chasing money? More like keeping our head above water in order to give boys a chance in the future.

Ideally I would try and give Leitch and Thomas more of a run of games. As much as I haven't been a huge fan of either I don't think they have had enough match time to be fully judge. Thomas in particular seems to be talented but in my book he's not had enough end product coming off the bench. Leitch could be soon falling into a Carswell category but the last few appearances he has done better. As folk have mentioned if we can give them some games over the next few matches we can say for certain where they are, if they don't break in by early next season I would be looking to give other boys a chance.

I agree about Thomas. He has got the talent to make it but has to improve his final ball. Jack Leitch? His contract expires in 2/3 months. You then have to decide whether or not to give him another deal, possibly knowing that he hasn't been fully assessed.

Chasing money? More like keeping our head above water in order to give boys a chance in the future.

Same ol' same ol' - we're in this financial mess because we have failed to develop youth.

We as a club should be embarrassed by how poorly we have performed in this regard.

• Like 1

In the U20s, Craigan has said a few times he doesn't think Thomas' final balls get the reward they deserve i.e. we don't score enough goals from them. So it seems he does have the final product, albeit it's much tougher to reproduce in the first team; especially when you are only coming on as sub. McGhee had talked about loaning him out to get first team experience like Cadden, but I guess that didn't work out. He certainly seems the type of player that would benefit from a longer run in the first team.

Same ol' same ol' - we're in this financial mess because we have failed to develop youth.

We as a club should be embarrassed by how poorly we have performed in this regard.

The talent has to be there to develop in the 1st place. McGhee, Craigan etc see these guys day in day out so we may have a development squad with very few players ready and/or capable of stepping up, so far we have Cadden, Thomas and Hall who have made an impression on the 1st team but nobody else.

The talent has to be there to develop in the 1st place. McGhee, Craigan etc see these guys day in day out so we may have a development squad with very few players ready and/or capable of stepping up, so far we have Cadden, Thomas and Hall who have made an impression on the 1st team but nobody else.

:blink: Not quite getting 'nobody else'. The reason they haven't made an impression is down to the successful team selections deployed by the management team no? We need to remember also our development team has ranged from 14 years upwards this season so the majority have time on their side & the club can nurture to bear fruit in time. Those involved certainly seem to buy into the latest club ethos.

• Like 2

:blink: Not quite getting 'nobody else'. The reason they haven't made an impression is down to the successful team selections deployed by the management team no? We need to remember also our development team has ranged from 14 years upwards this season so the majority have time on their side & the club can nurture to bear fruit in time. Those involved certainly seem to buy into the latest club ethos.

By nobody else i meant ready to step up and do a job in the 1st team now. If we have developing talent that may or may not make the grade in a few years then we will need to wait and see. But ideally we want our home grown talent to be ready for next season in August possibly June if we are in Europe so are there any more ready to join Cadden, Thomas and Hall to give McGhee more options,based on this seasons evidence i think there may not be, hope im wrong though.

Have people not been paying attention the past 10 years? There's nothing petty about 200 grand for a club like ours especially in the current economic climate

Ten years of near abject failure in youth development - and the one's that we did develop went for either a pittance or free due to our inept contract policy.

Transfer income at the club has been a disgrace - and if we don't get it sorted out we'll end up bust again.

Ten years of near abject failure in youth development - and the one's that we did develop went for either a pittance or free due to our inept contract policy.

The days of forcing young players into signing contracts that favour the club ended with Jim MacLean.

I honestly don't know what planet you've just been beamed down from mate.

Let's explore your example of the young Rangers player. I suspect all of the Motherwell u20s squad will be just like the 17 year old boy you describe. They too should be like a "dog with a bone" doing what they can to get into the first team. Such is the nature of forging a career in such a competitive industry.

It's been the way of the footballing world since Christ left Patrick. Do you HONESTLY think that Warburton will just put this lad in because he's been trying really hard?

Young players should break into first teams when they're ready to fight for a place in that first team. To suggest otherwise is idealistic nonsense.

The u20s reward will be a trophy. It is not a first team berth!!!

If the first team achieve 4th, there will be more money to secure the longevity of our homegrown talent and to source talent from elsewhere such as Johnson and Moult. It's a simple matter of business.

But hey, it's man management time. I'd hate for a potential cup winning youth team to feel "deflated" because they didn't walk straight into a premiership first team.

This thread is going the same way the Scottish cup thread went. Football fans becoming financial experts, now their becoming football youth development officers too.

I remember the days when fans wanted to see their team finish as high up the table as possible and for their team to draw the easiest teams in the hat so they could go on and win something or qualify for Europe.

Changed days indeed.

• Like 4