2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

I've traditionally been one of McGhee's biggest critics on here but even I don't blame him for this.

What I do feel though is that having tried to sell Johnson all summer, we should have a plan in place for replacing him even at this late stage. If we don't, then that's something he should take a share of the blame for...

The club has handled this unsatisfactory situation very well. For years fans have been berating it for letting players leave on the cheap and now that its holding out for a decent price, there are still dissenting voices or should I say keyboards. Tomorrow will be interesting and as others have written why bang in a transfer request now if there are no vultures hovering waiting to pounce? Johnson will have to be careful not to earn himself a bad reputation or to be more precise careful not to let his agent earn him a bad name.

• Like 3

Completely agree. As always, an informed and educated opinion expressed by Kmcalpin.

Now, back to the taxi chat...

The club has handled this unsatisfactory situation very well. For years fans have been berating it for letting players leave on the cheap and now that its holding out for a decent price, there are still dissenting voices or should i say keyboards. Tomorrow will be interesting and as others have written why bang in a transfer request now if there are no vultures hovering waiting to pounce? Johnson will have to be careful not to earn himself a bad reputation or to be more precise careful not to let his agent earn him a bad name.

The club has handled this unsatisfactory situation very well. For years fans have been berating it for letting players leave on the cheap and now that its holding out for a decent price, there are still dissenting voices or should i say keyboards. Tomorrow will be interesting and as others have written why bang in a transfer request now if there are no vultures hovering waiting to pounce? Johnson will have to be careful not to earn himself a bad reputation or to be more precise careful not to let his agent earn him a bad name.

Well said Dave.

• Like 1

Summarising on transfer fees in the Championship I've just read this...

Aston Villa have potentially smashed the Championship record signing for the second time this summer.

Bristol City striker Jonathan Kodjia has joined the club on a four-year deal which could rise to £15milion - more than Villa could end up paying for Fulham forward Ross McCormack.

Kodjia, 26, becomes Roberto Di Matteo's eighth summer signing after they saw off interest from Derby County and Premier League Hull City to land the in-demand attacker.

He scored 20 goals in his 52 games for the Robins after joining from French side Angers.

Also, reportedly now five Championship teams are chasing Johnson.

I'd settle for anything over half a million.

Actually, even if we move Johnson on, I'd be happy with Thomas or Ainsworth operating in a front three that McGee favours when Moult is back or Blyth is fit.

Maybe McLean could feature there too, I'm a more advanced role?

I suspect that GMS is on about 5 to 10 grand a week and I'm old enough to remember the nonsense of the Callum Elliot loan that kept a few of our youths out, Coakley in particular.

The thing that worries me is that if we sell johnson tomorrow does it give us enough time to get a replacement in that is going to do a job for us?

A loan move for GMS would be a good replacement.

As I keep saying, we've been trying to sell Johnson all summer. If we don't have a plan in place for him going, that truly would be incompetence...

I'm sure McGhee said the club were in a position to push the button on identified targets should Marvin move on. Obviously that's easier said than done on transfer deadline day but I trust we are well prepared.

I actually wouldn't mind if we lost Marvin and couldn't get a deal for a replacement done. It would give Thomas and McLean a right good opportunity to prove themselves. Having said that if we end up with GMS or Henderson I'll be flipping delighted.

The club has handled this unsatisfactory situation very well. For years fans have been berating it for letting players leave on the cheap and now that its holding out for a decent price, there are still dissenting voices or should I say keyboards. Tomorrow will be interesting and as others have written why bang in a transfer request now if there are no vultures hovering waiting to pounce? Johnson will have to be careful not to earn himself a bad reputation or to be more precise careful not to let his agent earn him a bad name.

Hear hear. Well said.

If we got £500,000 for Johnson, we should take the money and run. Does he have potential - yes. Well, actually, maybe not. He's coming up on 26 years old, no kid.

While he's clearly got a bit more than the average footballer at this level, his inconsistency is his most consistent trait. He's hardly had two good games back to back in his time here. Probably his most exciting period of form included Annan, East Stirlingshire and Kilmarnock and came to a clattering halt against the first half decent opposition we came up against. Maybe tells you something. 6 goals in 56 league matches tells you something as well. A goal every 10 matches for an attacking midfielder/forward is hardly gold dust.

Think of some of the wide players that have left Fir Park in recent times - McCormack, Murphy, O'Brien, even Humphrey - all better than Johnson. I was no great fan of Humphrey in the beginning but eventually he won me over and left a far better player than we signed. If Johnson leaves, can he say the same? I don't think so, and if he has its marginal.

I'm strangely unmoved about the whole thing. I neither want to hound him out the club nor would lose a wink of sleep if we sold him.

• Like 1

it would be ideal if we sold johnson and we could get a replacement on loan as part of the deal.i wonder now that laing has gone will that allow us too bring a new player in no matter what the situation with johnson.whatever happens it doesnt look like were in for a boring end too the transfer window.

I tend to agree. I don't think that Johnson is anywhere near an accomplished winger as Ainsworth, he uses his pace but fails on many levels technically and often flatters to deceive.

His finishing is woeful on many occasions and often fails to pass in order to have a strike from unlikely angles and distances.

Humphrey did well to establish himself after warming the bench for the first season and then we did the same we did with Coke, Jennings, Murphy and O'Brien. We've got Johnson under contract and demand a fee, but I'll be amazed if be progresses like Murphy has.

[quote name="Ya Bezzer!" post="478570"

Think of some of the wide players that have left Fir Park in recent times - McCormack, Murphy, O'Brien, even Humphrey - all better than Johnson. I was no great fan of Humphrey in the beginning but eventually he won me over and left a far better player than we signed. If Johnson leaves, can he say the same? I don't think so, and if he has its marginal.

I'm strangely unmoved about the whole thing. I neither want to hound him out the club nor would lose a wink of sleep if we sold him.

• Like 1

I will certainly not be heartbroken if and when Johnson moves on. He is decent on his day but we will survive without him. However, what sticks in the throat is the sheer bs coming from his agent. It is certainly not his place to be telling our club what the state of the market is. When you see the price that players go for in England, it is entirely reasonable to assume that similar players going from Scotland to England should go for a similar amount.

Interesting day ahead.

I like Johnson, he can be frustrating, but can also unlock defences. Of course we could survive without but it could be a very different team without him. A positive of selling is it will get the women who sits behind me and shrieks about him every game for 90mins to stop.

Hope we sell for some money and I also hope we pull the trigger on a replacement. If he stays I am also happy with that.

Dont be shocked or surprised, if we use whatever money comes into the Club today for avenues other than that of boosting our squad

I don't think that would shock or surprise anyone. Most Motherwell fans know that any money made today will not go to transfer fees. Only hope would be that Johnson's wage would be used for a loan replacement or a free agent. Have noticed that on recent deadline days that there are a lot of players released on the day presumably as clubs try to trim their wage bill.

I suspect today we'll see one out and one in. If the one in doesnt happen today, it may be that we pick up a free agent in the next week or so...