2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

As mentioned - McGhee quoted saying that by having Bowman we can now play 4-3-3 which has brought success in the past.

We now also have more decent options from the bench

Say an 11 of...

Samson

Tait Heneghan Mick Hammell

Cadden McHugh Clay

Bowman Skippy Moult

Ainsworth, Belic, Blyth, Las, Chalmers, Thomas, Kennedy all pushing to play or actually playing instead of others. Promising youngsters such as a Campbell Mackin, Ferguson, McLean and a few others also emerging.

Seems a decent squad with options and balance.

• Like 3

Hopefully we have came out of the transfer window in better shape, as Marvin was showing that he was more interested in moving away than playing for us as his form definitely dipped recently and no point in keeping someone that doesn't want to stay up here.

Mind you does anyone know anything about Bowman? This is the way we are heading rather than finding players from our own lower leagues, we are looking at the English lower leagues, not sure if that is the way forward, as I am sure there will be some good Scottish players to be found in our lower leagues.

Blyth described himself, as did McGhee, as a striker who could run in behind. Is Blyth already being discarded?

Judging by McGhee's comments on Belic, we've signed Belic as the replacement for Johnson (can play up top or out wide). Not sure why we've signed another striker unless Moult is more seriously injured than we thought or we've decided that Blyth isn't up to it.

If we're looking at free agents, midfield would be a priority...

I actually forgot about how Blyth described his attributes. Early days but his ability to run in behind hasn't looked obvious in his brief appearances.

Agree that if anyone else comes in, it has to be a midfielder. With none of Thomas, McLean and Campbell going out on loan though I'm content to go with what we have.

More on Johnson fee:

"The transfer was undisclosed, but is thought to have exceeded the £470,000 paid for Dean Windass in 1998."

http://m.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/14715643.Marvin_Johnson_impressed_with_Oxford_United_s_determination_to_do_deal/

Here is The Sun link, saying 650k:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/motherwell/7231081/Marvin-Johnson-in-650k-switch-to-Oxford-United.html

If the £650k figure is accurate, then this is a perfect example of how the club should be operating.

Its also entirety possible that Belic is as good as or better.

He seems well thought of at West Ham, who are a massive club with a renowned youth academy.

Time will tell.

If Oxford were able to increase their bid beyond £470k and possibly up to £650k then they were obviously chancing their arm with their initial bid and we were quite right to hold out for better. The figure of £1m was always pie in the sky and it sounds as though as though we've got roughly what I was expecting or possibly even more.

I've got a mate who is a huge Hammers fan and says Belic is a real talent. He's pacy, inventive and a goal threat.

He would have featured had West Ham really not been victims of their own success and over achieving to a certain extent.

I've heard mixed v feelings about Blyth, from him being disinterested during training, nit applying himself and a few comments stating that really, apart from his physical presence, he is not very good and Mackin is a better player.

This is the way we are heading rather than finding players from our own lower leagues, we are looking at the English lower leagues, not sure if that is the way forward, as I am sure there will be some good Scottish players to be found in our lower leagues.

Who?

If there's a Moult or a Johnson in the lower leagues, they shouldn't be hard to find.

The fee for Marvin Johnson was rumoured to be £350k with add-ons = all hell breaks loose. MFC are scum of the earth.

The fee for Marvin Johnson was rumoured to be £650k with add-ons = all is good with the world. Well done all.

Rumours, eh?

This is the way we are heading rather than finding players from our own lower leagues, we are looking at the English lower leagues, not sure if that is the way forward, as I am sure there will be some good Scottish players to be found in our lower leagues.

Mark McGhee made reference to this a few days ago when he said that he'd like to sign players from lower league Scots clubs but prices were too prohibitive. Look around the SPFL - we're by no means the only club to look south of the border.

An interesting comment too about Belic by MM. He said he works very hard off the ball. This is a quality we lack both defensively and offensively. When the opposition have the ball we don't tend to close down, harry and pressurise. Likewise when one of our players has the ball there's often a lack of options as no-one is moving.

Got to feel a bit for Lee Lucas. McGee says he's a player he likes, but finance is the issue, then we get money in and he's punted.

Him and Johnson are pretty much football in a nutshell, from both sides.

We gave Johnson the opportunity to play at a higher, more prominent level. He jooks at the first opportunity possible. Lucas turns up, spends the pre-season with us, is pretty well thought of, but we drop him as soon as we get a better opportunity. Swings and roundabouts, innit.

I saw Lucas play in the 20s game and by all accounts he is very similar to Clay. I think he would have been signed had he not picked up that knock that allowed Clay to arrive!

Even with cash coming in, with McHugh,Clay & Las all playing tbe same deep lying role and ypung Campbell impressing with the 20s theres just no space for a 5th deep sitting midfielder in the squad.

Personally Id have offered him Lasleys contract and offered Las a coaching deal

I'm certainly not simple if a player openly admits he downed tools last few games and we pick up 1 point from 9 yes I am upset by that as we were still paying his wages

He didn't say he downed tools. He said he was getting the games out of the way. To me, that's him admitting that he was distracted by the transfer talk. Not the first player that's happened to. His form dipped but I wouldn't say he lacked effort in any game...